1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks > Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mozart123, Feb 20, 2009.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Probably the point of the trade, but it would be sort of disrespectful to say in public.

I just hope we don't see a trend of the JJ Barrea's of the league having career nights against us.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Obviously you're wrong. The Rockets essentially traded Rafer for Brooks in the starting rotation. Lowry is taking Brooks role on the team not Rafer.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm wondering if the last shot would've mattered if Aaron's D hadn't made JJ Barea look like an all-star. Let's look at both sides of the ball when we evaluate. Barea just got his career high against us.

Aaron better be able to figure out defense. His offense will come and is a step up, but it won't matter if he's giving up just as many and more than Rafer did.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i think that was pretty much a fluke, at least all those 3 pointers were. he just couldnt miss from behind the arc all night

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

so just because our coach doesn't have enough balls to tell Rafer he is going to the bench, we trade for a PG that was a bench player in order to let Brooks start?

Rafer has said constantly that he doesn't care about playing at the end of games, he just wants to win.

6. Texxx

Texxx Member

Good point. He did have a lot of confusion on the defense and struggled tremendously at staying in front of Barea. He'll need to work on that.

However it was still a very good first starting game for him in this new era and him hitting that clinching 3 was great for his confidence out the gate.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Most of those are on Lowry not Brooks.

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

He also didn't bench TSlack when he should have.

9. deion_se

deion_se Member

Yes I agree with you that Brooks is better than Rafer, but still not good enough to be starting for a team targetting a champ. A great PG is poised and knows what the next step to take when initiate a play. I just saw AB get his speed up and throw himself into crowd and turn the ball over. I was thinking that what the hell he is doing. Bottomline is that you finish the ball, either an assist or a layup whatever but you need to have a cool mind. He really needs to watch how CP3 or DW play PG.

Sorry AB you did hit a clutch 3 today and I appreciate it but you could do more and make others' job easier.

10. RocksMillenium

And this was Lowry's first game as a Rocket so I guess we can cut him some slack right?

11. Bandwagoner

sure, it is expected that you cannot learn a defense in 2 hours.

which is why i think this season was sold with the trade.

12. RocksMillenium

Rafer's gone, it's time to move on.

13. code_red

code_red Member

I think some of you missed AB's weak points just because AB made the three pointer at the end to redeem his earlier plays.

AB had 4 TOs. Unfortunately, AB is more turnover prone that Rafer. The best part about Rafer's game is that he is runs the offense very well, with few TOs.

If AB can cut down his TOs, he will probably be the better point guard for the Rockets in the longer run.

14. deion_se

deion_se Member

very very true.

15. Bandwagoner

but if you count Rafer's dumb shots as turnovers (or 50% of them as TOs) they might be even.

16. RocksMillenium

You do realize that he only a 2nd year player and was just given the keys to a playoff team at the last second right? Let the guy get a few games under his belt while knowing he's the permanent starting PG.

17. RocksMillenium

Wow. If you think trading Rafer Alston was "selling a season" then you must be the biggest Rafer Alston fan on this planet. Trading a PG averaging 11 and 5 isn't selling out a season. Especially when the new PG is essentially putting up better numbers, and is 7-1 as a starter.

18. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

still got the W and so did orlando

thats the only stat i look at after reading the No Stat All-Star article

19. Bandwagoner

He is not putting up better PG numbers they are even at best and possibly worse with defense numbers added.

My whole point is if your main concern is winning this season you do not make the trade. End of Story.

20. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

We beat a pretty good Dallas team without Landry and Lowry had no clue what he was doing out there. The season is not over, it has only just begun.