1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks MIP?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CaptainRox, Dec 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

-- Signed LA Lakers game 1 Western Semis 2009.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Good post. I was under the impression that Brooks committed many more turnovers than Lowry before reading this.

3. ibm

ibm Member

if we are talking about mip of the league, then the op imo should at least list some of the players from other teams and compare.

on our own rockets team, i can clearly see the improvements by landry and even chuck hayes.

now compared to last season (through playoffs), in what area has aaron noticeably improved?

4. BucMan55

Setting up his teammates better. Running the team a bit better. Though he is no Rafer Alston at running the team. And I think his percentages are up a bit too.

5. ibm

ibm Member

half of the times he's still clueless, especially when he penetrates under the hoop and is in traffic. even last night this weakness still showed, though he scored well. that's not a good pg quality.

a "bit" better? maybe. that comes naturally for a 3rd year player who has a lot more responsibility than the last couple of year in large. mip? far from it.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think Ariza should get it, the guy was averaging 8.9 last season and this season averaging 18.4 PPG, i think it'll come down to brooks and ariza, both of them has improved from last season and one of them should get it....
    ;) ;)

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see how Ariza gets consideration, when all they've done is increase his volume. His %s are in the dumps. He may have been somewhat under-utilized in LA, but it's not like his quality has gone up here. He's being asked to do too much here, more than he's capable of. He can't be T-Mac.

I see some argument for Brooks, though his improvement was actually last year. His performance this year isn't much different from his performance in the playoffs last year.

Landry may have the best argument, even though it's probably a function of opportunity (maybe the MIP is always a function of opportunity). Like Ariza, he was under-utilized last year and is showing this year he can do more. Unlike Ariza, he's not now being overstretched by the necessities of the team.

8. BucMan55

Aside from Granger, most of the recent MIPs have been nonstarter moving into starter roles or role players moving into borderline star status and putting up similar or better numbers using a PER 36 extraction. Brooks I believe is similar in numbers, not necessarily better. I would equate Brooks' performance to someone along the lines of Jalen Rose in Indiana, Boris Diaw in Phoenix, Bobby Simmons in LA. Actually his numbers are very similar to Monte Ellis' though dont have much of an increase.

The Tracy McGrady/Danny Granger/Hedo Turkeyglue are far more rare.

Another thing to consider is if MIP voters will consider Brooks' play-off performance as a jumpstart to this year, or as the "norm". I think most of them will just look at a stat sheet from last year vs this year when they consider Brooks.

I'm making the arguement as to why not Brooks, not that Brooks should be the number 1 candidate.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If Landry starts sometime this season, he would be a MAJOR consideratrion, bench players NEVER get MIP

10. BucMan55

Yeah, they are usually reserved for 6th Man. Though I wonder how switching him with either Hayes or Scola will effect our bench production. He will certainly see starter's minutes. Much like Ginobili with the Spurs in recent years.

11. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Ariza will win it due to media hype and all that.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yeah I figured, I really like AB as a player and as our starting PG. It just looks like he's finally starting to understand how to use his speed and small size to get thru the trees ala Tony Parker.

He needs to be a little more patient and keep his dribble alive a lot longer while he's trying to find an open man.

Once he gets all that down, believe me I have confidence that he will, he will be the MIP of the league.

It would be nice if we got some type of individual awards for out all around team efforts all season long. :grin:

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think Josh Smith has MIP locked up.

14. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Brooks averages 3.3 TO a game and Lowry 2.1 TO a game, which is much more relevent than per/60 as there are only 48 minutes per game.

15. BucMan55

Going by that logic we need to get Scola out beyond the 3 point line more. I mean, he is perfect on the season. After all, sample size means nothing.

Oh, and also using that logic, Lowry will average 4 TO per 48 min, and Brooks 4.8. Big difference there.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Not really. His stats look similar to the years past. His FG % has increased to healthy 54 %, but I think that's bc he cut the 3 pt shooting out of his game.

17. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

It just seems like you are trying to make Brooks look like he turns it over a lot with a silly 6 TO per 60 minutes statistic since he only plays roughly 30 minutes a game.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I haven't looked deep into the numbers, but it appears that Brooks and Ariza are increasing production based on more minutes played and higher usage percentage.

This is unlike a guy like Danny Granger who quite obviously was improving his skills over the past couple of seasons, not just getting more minutes and shots.

If any of Brooks, Ariza, or Landry were to get it, it would be Landry. He's not playing significantly more minutes but has increased his shot blocking by 2 times, his scoring by 1.5 times, and his already impressive free throw shooting has gone up by 8%. That said, I would still like to see some more rebounds.

19. BucMan55

No, I was actually saying the perception of Brooks turning it over at an exponentially higher rate than Lowry is not actually true. Yes, he turns it over more, but based on the numbers its not that big of a difference.(essentially one more TO per 48 min)

20. BucMan55

In Brooks case his percentages are a bit higher, which may or may not be attributed to that. But he is getting 2 more APG and 5 more PPG in only 6 more MPG. Thats just based on the stat lines from last year to this year.