1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks Is...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nuggets4, Dec 14, 2009.

?

Aaron Brooks is...

1. A Great PG

59 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. A Solid Starting PG

400 vote(s)
    74.2%
  3. A Solid Backup PG

71 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. A Horrible PG

9 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry but he is a shooting Guard, he does little to set up others in the Game Plan. A true Point Guard is a Playmaker.
    Brooks playmaking abilities are limited,even so he could become a great player on our team :p

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know, I hate to say it - but I'm getting to where I'm constantly finding myself screaming for Lowry to come in for Brooks. He just makes sooooo many bad turnovers. It drives me nuts. If he's having a bad shooting night, he's pretty awful.

I voted solid back up guard. I agree with Nuggets4 that he'd be best suited to be scoring off the bench. That said, he's doing a better job than a great many point guards we've had since Steve Francis.

#42 Williamson, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. joe columbus

joe columbus Member

agreed.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yetti is right. I voted solid backup PG,but he isn't a true PG and is not starting material.

5. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

hes averging 5.3 assists, and thats not counting the many misses from ariza, hayes, shane lately, and hes playing adelmans style of play. he can drive to the basket with ease and pass of to the open man, but they have to hit the shot, lowry looks better running the offense because the 2nd team pushes the ball more and has better shooters, landry, budinger, andersen. Brooks is a pg, if you want to see a sg who we tried to make a pg, think of luther head.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

so....so much substance in this post. It'll take me a while to take all this in

7. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Aaron Brooks is the truth, and in three years he will be a 23-24 ppg and 7 apg type. Definite starting point guard material. Once he figures out the mid-range game, its over (and he is slowly starting to). Player comparison? Calvin Murphy with range as a ceiling. Tony Parker is good, but TP is different because of his height. AB won't ever have the finishing ability TP has.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He'll never have the court vision an all-star contending would need to have, and next year he will still have difficulty getting the ball in Yao's hands in good position in the post (although that's far from an easy task). For this year he's the best fit because we absolutely need the scoring, but by next year I hope Lowry develops enough of an outside shot to pass Brooks up as the starter. He just fits this team's specifications so much better--tenacious defender, always plays towards the contact when he has the ball, better court vision and doesn't make as many stupid mistakes as Brooks. Still, Lowry at this point REALLY needs to work on his FG% both from shooting open jumpers and finishing after he draws contact, because right now it's abysmal and will only get worse when teams shade off him more with Yao on the team.

I like Brooks and I hope that both of them improve. But if they both reach the ceilings I believe they have, Lowry should top out as the starter over him.

9. albuster

albuster Member

Agree with your post. I wonder what his ast/to ratio is at this point in the season. Any takers?

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, none of those choices exactly describes him, but I went with solid starting pg, since that was closest. What he really is is a talented yet inconsistant starting pg.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not great. Might not equal solid starting guard, just average starting guard.

Or among actual POINT guards, Brooks's FG% is middle of the pack, which can equal solid point guard. He's right under Mo Williams and Steven Curry who are great shooters.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm really surprised you guys think he has the potential to be Tony Parker like. Tony Parker improved dramatically over his first few seasons in the NBA - that is true. But it's also true that he came into the NBA at 19 years old. Not 23.

I really don't foresee him getting much better than he is right now if he improves at all.

13. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

AB would be and should be a 6th man. The problem is our bench already has great scoring potential while our starters, not so much.

14. skny_txn

skny_txn Member

Definitely a solid starter. To be considered Great he would have to show more consistency night in and night out. Lets revisit this question again in March.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Aaron has consistency issues (but not as bad as rafer's were) and overall I think he's a good PG, I am hoping over the course of they year we can see him get more consistent.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Hopefully you will get to see a few more of the Rockets games (of course that precludes you having League Pass since we've been shunned by the National Media Outlets ;) )

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This

He led the Pac 10 in scoring while playing with a 5'6" PG .....1 or 2 he's a stud....but let him play the 2 more often.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Possibly Calvin, without the muscle and the take names, kick a$$ attitude.

18. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

The age difference is a huge factor, but its not unheard of for a player to bloom a little late. Moreso when he isnt given the opportunity until later. I gotta give ya props for at least understanding the comparisons werent a 2007-esque Parker vs a first time starter Brooks, it was a 2001 era Parker vs 1st time starter Brooks. Pretty similar with Brooks being better at outside shooting and Parker better around the rim.

I will have to say he has improved a lot in various aspects from last year even regards to his playmaking. He has made passes this year I never thought he could even see last year. Heck, he's mades some good passes this year that his teammates didn't think he'd make and were looking for a rebound.

19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He's either a solid starting or backup point guard depending on how many other efficient scorers are in the starting lineup. With our current starters of Hayes, Battier, and Ariza he is a great starter. (only he and Scola are efficient scorers)

Now, If we have Yao and another dynamic scorer in the starting lineup, Brooks would still be a solid scoring pg off the bench, but Lowry's superior defense and court generalship would make him a better fit as starter.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It's really hard to answer this question, just because it really depends on the team's needs. He isn't a great PG by any means, but I think he is what we need, so a sold starting pg i guess. He's quick and can secure the ball. While he does make some mistakes, that goes along with any young pg. With Yao, he is what we need, someone who can hit the outside jumper. Now, if you put him on another team with different needs, he would be a solid backup point. I think in a couple years, he will be a very solid start pg for any contending team.