1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks and his Potential Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Oct 31, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

***NOT AN AB BASHING THREAD***

With Tony Parker signing his recent extension of 4 yr - 50 million it kind of sets the market for a PGuard like AB. AB has already made it known he wishes to get paid as a starter so one can only imagine that he will request a bigger deal then the 4 yr - 24 million dollar deal Lowry received. So roughly somewhere between 12.5 million and 6 million per yr, since we can safely assume he isn't quite at Tony's level YET but a starter over Lowry, that would be right around 8 - 9 MILLION PER YEAR.

Now that we've seen 1 and 1/2 years of Aaron and seen the good and bad so far this season, is he worth that kind of contract. We are looking at a 4 or 5 yr - 36 - 45 million dollar deal, that is quite a commitment. We would have roughly 54 to 63 million invested into the PGuard position for the near future.

Bottom line, is he worth this type of deal, what should he get if not or should he get another deal at all?

2. Raven

Raven Member

I use to think he'd end up getting around 10 million per, but his value is sinking faster than the Titanic.

3. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

3 mil per and put him to the bench. Or trade him while he still has value.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

No one know what will happen until a new CBA is agreed upon. Until that happens, no one knows what the max contract will be, if there are exceptions, if the salary cap will change or not, etc.

Everyone agrees will he will want more money, of course.

However, trying to guess what the results will be when no one even know the rules is like trying to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet whilst wearing a blindfold riding a horse.

1 person likes this.
  5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I don't think it's fair to compare Lowry's contract to Brook's potential contract. Right now, 6mm/yr is overpaying for Lowry, but if Lowry can develop a consistent mid-range jumper, then 6mm/yr is an incredible deal. In other words, I feel like Lowry's potential is built into his contract.

On the other hand, I feel like Brooks has almost peaked. He may be able to improve his defense and court vision, but they will always be subpar for a pg. He would be most effective coming off the bench as a sparkplug.

I'd offer him somewhere around 5mm/yr.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Interesting viewpoint, AB has already grumbled a bit about his contract situation and truth be told I doubt he would really appreciate being paid LESS then his backup or being benched. Another thing to consider, someone with cap room will offer him more the 5 million and then what happens?

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I guess it depends on how much more than 5 million. If some team offers him 6mm, I'd let him go. Like I said, I think that he's almost realized his potential.

But I don't see Brooks through rose colored glasses like most people do. I see him as a rich man's Nate Robinson.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He seems more like a rich man's Mike James to me.

Brooks had an incredibly year, but there is no guarantee that his value won't sink this season. There is also a good chance that we have to give him a big contract or let him walk for nothing.

I think it's about time we traded him. We certainly have a few fillers to throw out if necessary.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

When you compare Mike James' breakout season 05-06 to Brooks' breakout season last year, James had a better fg%, 3pt% (noticeably better), ft%, more rpg, apg, spg, and had fewer turnovers per game.

Granted, for a lot of those categories, the disparity between James and Brooks is less than 1%, but its hard for me to consider Brooks a "rich man's Mike James" when James had the advantage in almost every statistical category.

10. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

.....Aaron Brooks, new contract?

At his current level of play, a deal no larger than Lowry's.

No defense, no PG temp control, no vision, very little passing.

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I have a feeling Brooks is going to be like Luther Head when we first drafted him. We all thought he would be a long term rocket and be a solid contributor, then when he got traded he was a deep bench player.

Brooks is a ton more talented than Head but a lot more PGs out there bring more to the table than Brooks can.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

How does value sink after 2 bad games? Completely absurd statement.

He will get 8-9 mil

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Brooks at least has a good game under his belt. Lowry is 1-1 in abysmal games

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You're right, but I guess I was referring to the situation more than the stat.

Mike James had a freak season, but became a subpar player a year after. I think Brooks had a freak season last year as well, but his value will also diminish like Mike James, but not as significantly.

The wolves valued Mike James based on that one freak season. We don't want to offer Brooks a big contract simply because he had one strong season.

If Brooks perform poorly this season, his value diminishes and we lose a great trade piece. If Brooks perform similarly to last season, we have to give him a sizable contract or let him walk.

I believe Brooks has peaked his potential, and his value could only drop from now. Unless, we're landing another superstar PG in return, Brooks should be traded ahead of Lowry.

15. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

AB will be S&Ted in the summer. Morey has tolerated AB's defensive liability because he can score and is on a rookie contract. But, I can't imagine Morey dropping 8 mil on AB in addition to Lowry's 6. That's 14 mil. You can get a lot of point guard for that price. Plus, I think he realizes that for us to really contend, we can't have 2 perimeter players that can't play D.

16. DaJet

DaJet Member

Like leebigez pointed out, if he isn't traded by the deadline, I think we S&T him to the Kings.

He would fit in perfectly over there next to Tyreke and get to play with his buddy Landry.

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Why would the Kings accept a S&T when they can sign him outright?

The Kings are ~$18 million under the cap this season and will be ~$30 million under the cap next season.

They have more than prepared for a new CBA agreement.

18. flashsky

flashsky Member

Maybe.No other teams would be interested on AB except Rox guys. :cool:

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he is in line for a Tony Parkerish contract....although off to a rough start that is the neighborhood his skillset lives in....just below elite level.

DD

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its just to get him 6 yrs and the raises. If he makes it to the end of the yr, the kings will outright offer him a deal at anywhere between 8-10m first year. The rox probably wont bite and he will be signed and traded. Then we get to sit back and watch the kings with their load of young talent engulf the rockets in the playoff race. That would sux big time.