1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Van Gundy Analogy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston Native, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This may be a little dumb, but I was thinking as I was watching Fox sports tonight that if JVG was a sportscaster, he would be Mark Berman.

Berman is a little nerdy looking but has so much substance over flash. No one outworks the guy and because of all the scoops he obtains, he is very well respected and has great credibility with all sports fans.

Similarly, JVG is nerdy looking and may not be hip to the latest music groups, but no one outworks him in his effort he puts in his coaching and game preparation. His former players respect his hard work and play hard for him. He also has great credibility because of substance over flash.

I look forward to see how our players respond to his coaching as I hope they will also have a lot more substance than flash.

Houston Native

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But Cruz still would not have spilled the superstition.

Berman is the single only journalist in Houston sports media.

3. Houston Native

Supporting Member

I guess everyone else thought it was a dumb analogy too.

Houston Native

4. Houston Native

Supporting Member

Berman will grab a story by the horns and Van Gundy will grab an opponent by the leg. (OK enough already)

Houston Native

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Sooner or later someone was going to make fun of Van Gundy as a "nerd" or "geek."

But Coaches don't have to jump high, or run fast. That's the players jobs.

As long as Van Gundy knows the game and can teach our young players, that's all I care about.

It's obvious that Van Gundy, a pupil of Pat Riley, is a student of the game and can only bring "substance' to our current "flash."

If Van Gundy can't bring discipline to our team, NO ONE CAN.

6. Houston Native

Supporting Member

I agree totally and I personally have a lot of respect for JVG. I only said he "looks like a nerd", but he does not act like a nerd.

I wouldn't mind being Bill Gates either.:)

7. Houston Native

Supporting Member

Sorry, my quote was he was "nerdy looking".

Houston Native