1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A trade to upgrade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Aug 27, 2002.

1. joolut

joolut Contributing Member

That sounds good to me. Anyhting to get rid of Colier and his useless 7 foot blob of fat. What's Sasser's contract like?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Cato may find that he prefers the backup role. As a matter of fact, Cato doesn't seem like he thrives on pressure. (a vast understatement, I know)

What pressure, you may ask? Does he feel anything in the dim recesses of his mind? I think he does. Not a lot, but I think he does.

I wish Rudy could start Yao from day one, but without training camp and pre-season I don't see how it's possible. But he should start him as soon as he can. I think he'll get better play from Cato off the bench.

I feel like an idiot for posting this, it seems so obvious, but people keep wanting to trade Cato (myself included) and it seems stupid unless we get someone better. Who out there is better that we could get? Realistically? Lets go with who we've got.

3. Possum

Possum Member

What? You make trades to improve your team. Trading Cato and TMo for Miller and DeClerq would improve our team IMHO.

4. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know I'm crazy now because this is the second time I've said it, WE SHOULDN'T TRADE CATO, WE NEED HIM! :eek:

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

DeClerq isn't an upgrade for us (money aside) at the backup center position. It's crucial this year. Yao will be tired when we finally get him and will have missed training camp and pre-season. Cato is needed unless we can get someone better. DeClerq's not it. Miller is a nice player, but not worth leaving a big hole at backup C.
    JMHO.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If I liked Mike Miller more this trade might be worth it to me. I'm sure the Rockets Org. would give it serious consideration.

7. zuoluohero

zuoluohero Member

Is it true?I dont see any reports about the deal on NBA.com.

8. Possum

Possum Member

No it's not true. Did you read the first post? Man you better stay away from Hottoddie posts or your head will explode! :eek:

9. RedRock

RedRock Member

Orlando HAS exercised their option on Mike Miller.

10. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

I think this is a really good trade offer. I liked it when I saw the article (was it espn.com?) What we lack in a proven back up center we can make up for with 20 minutes per game from Collier, DeClerq, EG, and Mo. That's only 5 minutes each. How productive do they really have to be to replace Cato?

Miller is a similar player to Rashard, great outside shooter. I'm not sure if he plays SG or not. Couldn't find it in stats anywhere. But he'd be a great complementary player on our team.

Also, the Magic exercised an option on Miller, they didn't extend or give him a new contract so I don't see why there would be a waiting period.

Having said this, I don't see the Rox making a big deal like this until we are into the season and see how everything gels together. But I likey!

Edit: I should add that this makes sense for the Magic too because they have absolutely NOBODY at the 5 and Cato would be a huge upgrade. In addition, who knows how many minutes Miller would get this year with Hill expected back? Even if he doesn't make it back, the team has top pick Ryan Humphrey and last years pick Pat Garrity to play 3/4 so they are loaded with good sized white guys who can shoot. Heck, we might even be able to just nab Miller for free and they won't notice.

Coach "Ok..all the white guys line up...one, two...how many do we have again?" (under breath) "they all look alike"

:D Just kidding by the way, don't be offended. Just pointing out the Magic's overstock of similar players. I'm surprised they didn't trade for Keith Van Horn....

#30 Dusty Bottoms, Aug 28, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  11. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

i think Cato is lazy at times but he can be a decent center when he tries to lol so i wouldn't trade him for miller and de-C.

12. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

An occasioinal ally oop?! Don't you think that is a ridculous way to some up Cato's contribution to the Rocks? You obviously can't stand the guy - for some reason - and you want this trade idea to generate hype so you can take credit for it. Well I will put it plainly now - it is a stupid trade and it won't happen. We already have skinny scorers.

I also think it is very interesting possum how you are such a basketball authority that you have decided that bangers will no longer be needed in the NBA. You must really be connected with the basketball gods. Bangers have been around since day one and are used in college, which has a zone, and whenever a European player is strong enough to be a banger type he is highly praised and valued and tought how to shoot better. Bangers are in fact more effective in a zone because they can bang on more people from more angles. If you have ever played street ball, which isn't known for its illegal D calls, you would probably know about the tough guy who always makes you piss blood the next day and when you played against him you would be a little wary.

13. Possum

Possum Member

No I don't think that is a ridiculous way to sum up Cato's contribution to the Rocks. Why don't you point out how he contributes since you have it figured out. Is it his great defensive presence? Maybe its his unstoppable offensive moves in the low post or the super effort he gives game in and game out that gets you excited about him. What is it groupier, tell me I'm dying to know.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on the bbs. The only reply this deserves is :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

To use your own words, you must really be connected with the basketball gods. Once again :rolleyes:.

Did you read the part where I typed IMHO? Since you seem to be a little slow I will spell it out for you. It means "in my humble opinion". I don’t know what is going to happen in the future any more than you know how to approach things with an open mind. I'm not a fortuneteller. I just like coming here and discussing basketball with intelligent people that have knowledge of the game. Whether it’s a fictitious trade, what position a player should play or how Rudy should adjust his lineup doesn’t matter to me. I just like throwing out my opinion and reading educated responses. I have had my mind changed many times because of responses on this bbs. Having said that I will ignore your responses in the future because they are none of the above. If you are going to take that attitude with everyone that doesn’t see things your way you should go to the ESPN boards they will mesh with your intellect better than here. :p

14. LeGrouper

Oh, is that what IMHO meant? I thought you were telling us all that you were a HO.

BTW - I already stated how Cato helps the Rockets. He is a banger.

And I don't know what that gayness about the ESPN boards was all about. I take it that you haven't learned how to really insult someone yet. Maybe in your next post HO.

15. Possum

Possum Member

Sorry if you're not intelligent enough to figure it out my insult. I'll try and keep it on your level from now on. Here how’s this, YOUR MOMMA! :p There did you get that one! :eek:

16. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

Even if the rocks got miller, they still have that problem of having 2 more small forwards.. and yeah boki might not be everything, but he'll need time to prove himself.. and minutes on the court..

17. LeGrouper

I guess I am also not intelligent enough to figure out your grammar. And keep trying with the whole insult thing.