1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A trade to upgrade.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

Orlando needs a center in the worst way. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ptmagic27082702aug27.story?coll=orl-magicThis could be a good chance for us to upgrade our SF position. Here's what I propose.

Houston trades: SF Terence Morris (3.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 16.3 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)

Houston receives: SG Mike Miller (15.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.1 apg in 33.7 minutes)
    C Andrew DeClercq (2.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 10.4 minutes)

TRADE ACCEPTED

Can anyone tell me why this would be a bad trade for either team?

Please non of this nonsense about we don't need a SF we have Boki. I like him and hope he turns out to be an all star but he is not a for sure thing by any means. Another thing is that Miller can play the 2 so that would solve our backup SG problem also.

I know a lot of you are going to say we need Cato. Do we? MoT played a lot of minutes at the 5 year before last and EG has played a little bit there too. We now have Ming and Collier and with this trade we would have DeClerq. That gives us five guys that are capable of playing C. With what Cato produces is he really that important?

2. Catwink03

Catwink03 Member

Its doubtful Orlando would give up Miller while getting so little in return. Kelvin is overpaid and obviously has a questionable work ethic. TMo is a 2nd round pick who has yet to prove anything.

3. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Don't shoot me for this, but I honestly don't like this deal for us at all. Cato is a superior center to either DeClercq or MoT and we do need him. Besides none of us truly know how his achilles will hold up over the season when he applies some NBA regors to it. And besides I haven't given up on Tmo just yet (here somes the firing squad, taking heavy fire):mad: .

4. aznlincolnpark

I think mike miller already signed a 3yrs contract with the orlando magic .. let me know if i am wrong :confused:

5. Possum

Possum Member

I have to disagree with you on this one. Orlando only has one healthy center on their team now so they need a player that can log some serious minutes there. Cato would give them that and be a huge improvement over anyone currently on their team at the 5.

#5 Possum, Aug 27, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2002
  6. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

We have plenty of players at the 2 and 3. What we mostly need are thugs to help protect Ming and to give fouls to the big boys of the west. We need Cato's beef, not Miller's shot and frailty.

7. Possum

Possum Member

I believe the Magic just exercised an option on his contract but I could be wrong. :confused: Either way I don't think it would have any effect on my proposal.

8. Possum

Possum Member

Cato is 1" taller than DeClerq and ways the same. Where's the beef? Another thing too consider DeClerq would come of the books in another year. I haven't even brought up the fact that once Ming becomes the starter Cato will probably will lose even more interest in the game. He doesn't exactly love his job now. A change of scenery for Cato would probably be in the best interest for him and the Rockets.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A crazy suggestion! Orland will have nothing to do with it!

10. Stevie Francis

not a bad trade. But I DON'T WANT MIKE MILLER.

11. LeGrouper

I am so sick and tired of people listing stats on here like they mean ****. Matt Bullard is the same height and weight as Chris Webber and Rasheed Wallace - does he bang like them - NO! Have you ever seen Andrew DeClerq bang? No you haven't because he does not. Look at a guy like Sam Mitchell. 6'7'', 220-230, pure banger. Every team needs reliable bangers to succeed - look at every championship team ever. Even the bulls used guys like Scott Williams and Dennis Rodman just to go out there and do the physical stuff so that skill players could put the ball in the hole. That is what we need. The only other banger we have is Kenny everyone here is always talking about trading him too.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Orlando would say, "Give us Eddie Griffin instead." We'd give'em the finger. They'd say, "Is that your IQ, or is that the number of friends you have in the world, including yourself?" (Pretend it's a videoconference.) Then we'd say, "You can't possibly have Eddie." They'd say, "Hey, you called us. And you've gotta give to get." Discussion over.

13. Possum

Possum Member

Why? If Grant Hill is healthy Cato would be more important to the Magic than Miller. If they don't improve their froncourt they are in BIG BIG trouble.

14. Possum

Possum Member

So are you saying Cato is a banger?

I

15. LeGrouper

Cato is a somewhat decent banger. He certainly isn't a skill player. When he puts his mind to it he has shown glimpses of great banging potential. And he is strong enough to wrestle with the big fat meanies of the west.

16. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Guys you can argue among yourselves until the sun don't shine no more, but the Rockets are not going to trade Cato until they know Yao can handle the minutes. As good as he may appear he is going to take a full year before his strenght and stamina will allow him to play over 30 minutes a game. Right now Yao cannot be expected to carry heavy minutes for a full season and with some of the vets, they are going to want to get in the playoffs. Francis is tired of the lottery crap and to get there they are going to need Cato to carry minutes.
    Miller would be a great pickup for us though. He's ready made for Rudy's offense but it would take KennyT and Rice to get him though.
    Cato's not going anywhere unless they get a servicable center in return that can carry minutes until Yao can comfortably take them over himself.

17. LeGrouper

I agree with you jsb except for the Miller would be a great pick up bit. Mike Miller is an overpriced tweener who is a great shooter but offers NOTHING else. He also would not want to go to another back up role and would be mopey and hurt our chemistry. Also we would lose a banger to get a bean pole, whether it be Cato or Thomas. We have plenty of scorers. Mobely is our skinny little scorer and he is quicker than Miller and is better for our chemistry.

18. Possum

Possum Member

IMO with the introduction of the new rules and with the influx of foreign players you’re going to see the big banger era come to an end. Teams will be looking for more skilled athletic big men instead of your one dimensional muscle heads that are usually a liability on the offensive end. It's not as important to put a body on someone when you’re allowed to run a zone. On the offensive end you want a player that not only can post up but also spread the floor and create spacing with a consistent jump shot. This seems to be the calling card of euro big men.

19. Possum

Possum Member

I'm curious, how do you think Cato will handle a backup role? He is already mopey and brings no chemistry. Other than an occasional ally oop he adds nothing to this team. In Orlando he would get a fresh start and be a starter. He woudl fill a huge need for them and considering what some of the FA big men have been recieving lately wouldn't be to overpriced.

I really doubt Miller would be a backup anyway. While I like Boki I think this bbs's expectations of him are a little high. Miller would start in front of him and at times he could slide over and back up Mobley with Rice or Boki playing the 3. This would eliminate the peewee lineup we had to use last year.

20. JamesC

JamesC Member

Like I keep saying, Collier for Jeryl Sasser. Neither one make a lot of money by NBA standards, so its possible. Orlando gets another big man and we upgrade at backup sg.