1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

a study in pork...we don't need any more muslims! gimme some hog, DAMNIT!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Oct 29, 2001.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

i’m reading all this talk about steve francis and i came to realize something: steve must be muslim. steve eats no pork. But what the rockets need – in order to ascend to the next level (aka Top 4 in the West) is a hog. A Ball Hog in crucial moments.

LEADERS must know how to take over a game.

to this point in their respective careers, cuttino mobley has undoubtedly been the "LEADER" of the rockets.

from cuttino mobley’s VERY FIRST NBA GAME, he displayed not only the desire to take the big shot, but the ability to hit it. he has NEVER, i repeat - NEVER - backed down from a big shot.

you want examples of steve backing down? check out last year's games, when steve either dribbled the ball carelessly only to lose it out of bounds or to dribble it off of his own foot. i believe it was vs. golden state and, possibly, dallas. crispee, i'm sure, can back me up on that one.

leaders don't play "cat and mouse games" with the ball in crucial moments.

LEADERS measure their opponents, then attack. cat mobley might play with the ball throughout the game, but when the money’s on the table, he’s snatching it and running. throw a pig knuckle on the table and see if he don’t grab that sumbitch and eat it! he’s a hog! and that’s what it takes to be The Man.

remember the rockets v. golden state(?) when mooooooooooch hit the big 3 to win it all? who passed it to him after the double team? think it was steve? nope.

who shut down vince carter and dropped 30+ on his b**** ass in toronto? shandn? Nope. steve? Nope.

Steve Francis, so far, has KG SYNDROME.

KG, aka kevin garnett, has quite possibly the most raw talent of any 4 in the league. he can do it all. shoot, dribble, drive, post, shoot the 3, pass, go for triple doubles...you name it.

however, to this point, KG has gone absolute nowhere in the playoffs, nor has he ever threatened to. why?

steve francis fits the same description, yet there are still legitimate questions on whether or not he is even the LEADER on his team. why?

ANSWER:

steve francis & KG both are entirely too unselfish. this sounds like a compliment, but it IS NOT. leaders are ball hogs by definition.

even magic johnson had some ball hoggishness to him in crucial stretches.
    isiah thomas? oink oink.
    jordan? bring on the sausage.
    shaq? soooooohueeeeee!
    kobe? str8 pork chops, baby.

my point is that you can be a complete player and still be a ball hog. steve and KG are complete players that NEED to be ball hogs. being a hog will make their team better.

IMO, if the rockets want to contend in the Wild Wild West, they need cuttino AND steve BOTH to throw down some hogmaw and pickled pigs feet! cat’s already there. steve’s starting to shed his muslim image this preseason (absolutely took over the san antonio game in the crucial moments.) we need more of that!

NO MORE ANTI-PORK PUNKS! GIMME THE BACON BAAAABY!!

others in need of pork in their diet:

vince carter
    ray allen

pork-consumers, who will/have lead their team to gr8ness

tracy mcgrady (PRIME CHOICE HOG, BABY! SOON TO BE LEAGUE MVP.)
    allen iverson
    kobe bryant
    tim duncan

hogs who need to back away from the table:

jerry stackhouse
    larry hughes

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Well, that one Muslim that we had for 17 seasons worked out pretty well.

I liked him I guess.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

you want examples of steve backing down? check out last year's games, when steve either dribbled the ball carelessly only to lose it out of bounds or to dribble it off of his own foot. i believe it was vs. golden state and, possibly, dallas. crispee, i'm sure, can back me up on that one.

It was the Dallas game in early March, that was crucial for our playoff chances. We had led most of the way, were in a close game in the final minute, and Steve dribbled it off his foot and out of bounds with the game on the line and 40 seconds to play.

By the way, great post... but as I'm sure you're aware, be prepared to get some responses comparing Steve's numbers to Cuttino's numbers. The intangibles like leadership, etc. go very unnoticed around here. I have though, like you said, seen Steve try and improve himself in this regard during the preseason.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I guess the stress of the offseason has finally gotten you to, huh verse? ;)

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Part of Steve's problem is he feels like he needs to keep everyone on the team happy. Sometimes, when the game is on the line, he just needs to take the rock and do whatever it takes.

Now I'm hungry for a BLT.:)

6. Band Geek Mobster

I was so ready for this to be a Pig Miller thread...

7. verse

hakeem olajuwon was a str8 hog. i loved it.

hafraud imgladyourgone was a str8 b****. i hated it.

'nuff said.

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Verse,

Steve doesn't have to take all the last second shots or be "the man" in the final minutes. Hakeem took his fair share, but was not the only Rocket to take (and make) many last second shots. And, he was by all definitions "The MAN" for many many years.

Who hit those big shots in the waning moments during the championship runs? Elie, Maxwell, Cassell, and yes, Dream hit a few.

Mobley has shown the cahones to take and make (or miss) crucial shots. He did it his rookie year with a healthy Barkley and Olajuwon.

IMO, Francis already has the pressure to carry the team and be the "leader". Let Mobley take most of the pressure to hit his fair share of last-second shots.

9. verse

that crisco-sweating-cretin had better not join this team again. if he does, it's a sure sign we're heading for the ping pong machine.

10. enbehay

enbehay Member

Yup, we need a beefy ball hog who won't play like a lamb; has the heart of a lion, the cunning of a fox, the vision of an owl, and the swiftness of a rattlesnake; can milk the clock when necessary; and gives us chicken rather than feathers. Might that player someday be known as the griffin?:D

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think the biggest measure of Francis's leadership ability is not the last minutes shots, but his ability to make sure we don't have lulls, especially in the 1st quarter! We lost several winnable games in the 1st quarter last year.

Man, let's not argue Cuttino versus Francis. Treat this as a celebration of Cuttino. btw: maybe Steve is Jewish for not eating pork.

Francis also fell against Denver in the last minute. He got stripped and fell against the Spurs in the last 2 minutes of the last pre-season game, with the game on the line. The following possession they swarmed him to force him to pass, and we got nothing out of it. Then Mobley won that Spurs games with an amazing drive down the far lane for a lay-in, followed by the infamous "tackle" by 3 Spurs for the sealing FTs.

This doesn't mean Mobley is better. Just that both Mobley and Francis know that Mobley is the #1 goto option in the last 2 minutes when the defenses clamp down. (Francis said this again in the Sunday Chronicle Season Preview.) This year, we are also going to need Rice to step up. We are hurt that we don't have Steve able to run a pick n roll with Maurice.

Francis can simply take over large chunks of the game, so far this preseason. He seems to have improved his shot, or he is on a roll or something. Plus, he is running more, so far. Overall, simply running the offense smoother...again, so far. This should eventually make him a primary GoTo option, but a lot of that depends on the entire team working together, and Francis working the traps of the pick n roll better. I still believe Mobley dissolves the traps better, and simplifies the offense...which is needed in the last 2 minutes. His success is based on pure speed. During the game, you can pass out of the trap and let your PFs shoot or drive. But in the last minute, I don't want a trap to force an immediate pass, because they'll be playing that PF differently. I want the game in Steve, Rice or Cuttino's hands. Not to say they take the last shot, but to say they create what we want, not what the defense wants us to do. Cuttino seems to be able to deal with the traps better, whereas Steve ends up passing it or fighting it...which is often what the defense wants to happen.

imo, Mobley looks a little faster versus last year, but he still hasn't shown me a goto midrange shot, which he'll need over the course of the season. He still is faded on his shot when not necessary. His defense is clearly better, much more active, so maybe he's tiring somewhat, which can effect a shot. This would make sense in his great performance versus Stackhouse....hounding him to zero points.

#11 heypartner, Oct 29, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2001
  12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure to which Golden State game you refer, but one of the GS games I saw last season it was MOBLEY who dribbled the ball too much and almost lost the game. It was the one where Mobley dribbled the ball in the corner until there was like 3 seconds left on the clock, and then he had to pass it out to Moochie who hit the fabled 35 foot 3 that won the game. The rest of the examples I am not familiar with, because I didn't see most games....

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Stack will still take 40 shots though!

14. heypartner

He didn't dribble it into the corner...he dribbled it right next to Moochie way out front. He somehow lost track of the shot clock. It was a tied game, and he was instructed to make sure the other team did not get any time left on the clock, nor be allowed to foul him, presumably. So he was dribbling out 30 feet from the basket with Moochie. There was no attempt by Mobley to attack, just poor clock management in his effort to follow Rudy's command to not leave any time on the clock.

In the end, he flipped to Moochie who was close to him out front.

15. verse

DREAMer,

hakeem was the single, solitary reason why mario elie even had a chance to take that three in phoenix. if you have that game on tape, go back and watch it. who was in the paint (on a fast break, no less?) hakeem the dream. who had one man on him, and elie's man sagging down? hakeem the dream. who commanded respect? hakeem the dream.

NONE OF THAT happens if hakeem doesn't prove to be a hog first. hogs allow piglets the luxury of eating, too.

kenny smith v. orlando in game #1....same thing. hakeem the hog couldn't possibly be allowed to go one-on-one with shaq. "shaq" would have become "haq" and been on the bench saddled with fouls on The Hog.

Maxwell v. New York
    Cassell v. New York

bah. all piglets eating because The Hog allowed them to. Those runts don't even get the crumbs without The Hog.

"IMO, Francis already has the pressure to carry the team and be the "leader". Let Mobley take most of the pressure to hit his fair share of last-second shots. "

DREAMer, such is the pressure of being The Boss Hog. you have to lead the whole way through, yet still know when to defer. check zekewith joe dumars. zeke was - undoubtedly - THE MAN. but he'd defer to joe or vinnie or adrian or aguirre or laimbeer whenever he was completely keyed on by the defense.

steve has yet to even earn the league's respect as a hog. watch steve in the waning seconds of the game and watch what the defense does. i GUARANTEE that until he starts eating more pork, the league won't consistently trap him in the fourth quarter.

it will only be when he decides to hold the entire league in contempt for even THINKING of guarding him one-on-one in the fourth quarter that the rockets will explode. it is then when he can start to defer to the other rockets.

i believe in steve. i really do. i believe he has more innate, natural ability than cuttino. however, i believe in cuttino's contempt for the world. i do not - as of yet - believe in steve's.

he's too busy being brash to hold the nba in contempt.

16. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I guess "the man" is more like "making it happen" than "taking the shot". Hakeem didn't take every last-second shot, but his presence made it possible for his teammates to do so.

17. heypartner

btw: Francis did dribble the ball off his foot in the Moochie heroics game against GS.

http://www.clutchcity.net/game.cfm?gameID=104

Note also, that after that, Mobley drove for a bank shot score with 29 seconds to give us a 2 point lead. Then, with the game tied he is told to milk the clock and make sure GS has no time left.

18. verse

heycrispeecritter,

that was a funny play, if you ask me. first of all, if your instruction is to get the last shot....cuttino executed just that.

if your instruction is to draw the double team or go one on one...cuttino executed just that.

if your instruction was to do it as simple as possible...cuttino failed with flying colors.

i'll take that play over shooting the ball with 12 seconds on the clock on the road. take the last possession. win or lose. let's roll...

19. verse

true.

however, first you have to "take and make" enough shots before you can "make it happen" for others. cuttino's already at that point. steve is not. i need for steve to get to that point, too.

i understand that cat & steve have this "kinship" and that's cool. but a true leader must be just that - A TRUE LEADER. LEAD, NOT FOLLOW OR WALK BESIDE...LEAD DAMNIT!!!

steve will have to realize that he and cuttino are best friends, best buds, ace-coon-booms, but that on the court he must be the leader and cuttino can be his right hand man - that is if he truly wants to be THE MAN.

as of now, IMO, he isn't. but i'd looooove it if he decided to be THE MAN. cuttino's the absolute PERFECT robin to steve's batman.

capable of being the superhero, but just as willing to defer to the greater, more gifted & talented superhero and feel like no less of a hero for doing so. able to where red, green and yellow silly uniforms and still kick ass!

20. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

What about the game against the Jazz when Cuttino heaved up an airball while Francis was wide open and begging for the ball? Or what about that Laker game where Cuttino heaved up an airball with 15 seconds left in the game? Steve is not the only player to make mistakes in crunch time.

And I'm sorry, but that Golden State play was NOT a good play by Mobley. That was a lucky play by Moochie, nothing more.