1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Striking Question To Ming Haters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Jun 19, 2002.

1. yaomingdude

yaomingdude Member

If you have any doubts about Yao, all you have to do is look at what objective analysts, scouts, GMs, and coaches throughout the league have to say about him. Refer to quotes at www.YaoMingMania.com and www.YaoMingMania.com/quotes.html. All those naysayers about drafting Yao #1 would then realize that they didn't do all their research. Can all these people quoted on this Web site be wrong?

The fact is that alot of these quotes are better than what they said about Kobe and Tracy McGrady coming out of high school. I've got to think the competition among Chinese professionals is at least a little better than what you would see in American high schools. Hence, if Yao is the creme of the crop in China and he's excelling against competition better than what Kobe and T-Mac had before they went pro, then Yao's got an extremely bright future ahead of him. Don't forget the blocks he had of Vince Carter and friends at the Olympics. Shades of bigger things to come.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Imagine my surprise when I did not see one negative response on a web site entitled " YaoMingMania" ;)

First off, I could care less what race, creed or color the guy is. I would like to see a player who can come in and have an immediate impact. My biggest problem with taking Ming is that he has not played to the level of competition he will experience in the NBA night after night. I think most would agree that it will take 2 years for Ming to get acclimated with the NBA and in my opinion I would like to see someone who can come in and make an immediate impact. For all the posters who say that he "has game", "he`s a baller", "can shoot from anywhere", "he will dominate" I ask you this, do you get this info from the extensive coverage of watching him play over a few years or did you come to this conclusion by watching highlights of him on ESPN? The truth is no one really knows if he can compete in the NBA or is worthy of the first pick and for that reason alone I say 'NO"
    It`s one thing to play againist players from the CBA and another to bang night after night againist the best players in the world.

3. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I agree. We should definitely draft a player with NBA experience. Oh wait, you can't draft free agents, can you?

4. JT

JT Member

As much as I enjoy this BBS some time you guys can be absolutely hilarious. First, those opposed to selecting Ming for any reason have been dubbed "Ming haters". Now the debate has degenerated into accusations of racism. :rolleyes:

The fact is that Yao is breaking new ground here. He is what Shawn Bradley once was. A dream. A dream of a 7-5 guy who has basketball skills beyond anything we have ever seen in anyone of that height. He may turn out to be a great NBA player. He may turn out worse than Bradley when it's all said and done. There is a vast difference in being "a dream" and becoming "the Dream." ;) The truth is that the odds are against him becoming much more than a servicable NBA center. Those opposed to the Rockets drafting him are for the most part simply looking at the odds. Those that are for drafting him are looking at a dream believing it will come true. Hopefully they are right this time. We (the scouts, GM's, coaches and fans) have all been wrong hundreds of times before.

Yep.

Maybe....but more likely maybe not. I seem to recall that someone (a Rockets player I believe) once blocked Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's sky hook. Someone help me. What was his name? I seem to remember a guy by the name of Rodrick Rhodes getting two steals off of Michael Jordan in a single game and playing him defensively about as well as anyone ever has. Where is he today?

The point is that Ming isn't a garantee. He is at best a dream right now. Personally, I'm not completely sold on him but if the Rockets draft him I will hope that the dream comes true. If it doesn't I'll still be a Rockets fan. All this without ever once hating the guy. :D

Enjoy the debate guys. Have fun while going one on one over the pros and cons of the Rockets drafting Yao Ming. Just watch out for that killer crossover. ;)

5. Live

Live Member

What odds?

And to make it easier:

- Bradley is a classic example of a tall guy who plays ball for a living but who can definitely live without the game, maybe he was pressured to play from an early age due to his size.

- Bol was never a legitimate prospect, a guy who received little development in college. Ditto for Chuck Nevitt, except he did play for a quality program.

- Muresean (sp?), I believe, had some sort of glanular problem that resulted to his size, that he was able to play in the NBA at all and not be confined to a wheelchair is a testiment to his strength of character, but he was never a legitimate prospect.

- Keep in mind former ROY and All-Star Ralph Sampson, Rik Smits, and due to political issues, Sabonis, who could have made the Blazers, not the Bulls, the team of the late '90s if he weren't kept in Russia.

So that's what, a 43% success rate among super-tall NBA big men. Not bad percentages.

So the Rockets should never draft a HS player like LeBron James, right?

Never would've drafted Kobe, McGrady, or KG, correct?

As mr_gootan pointed out, no one should get drafted, right?

Because HS BBall is no where near the NBA.

The ACC, SEC, PAC-10, etc. is no where near the NBA.

BTW, I'm an African-American, and I regretfully admit that I've heard some racist sentiments from a few African-American acquaintances (I stress few, quite a bit of the people I know are taking a 'wait-and-see' approach, which is understandable), so this thread isn't entirely without merit.

6. JT

JT Member

What odds? The odds of every player that's ever been hyped as a can't miss prospect based on basketball skills and potential. The odds of men his size remaining healthy long enough to reach that potential. The odds of people holding up under the pressure he will face from being dubbed a "national treasure" of China. Lots of odds there. Take your pick.

Hopefully the guy pans out. If he does then you get to gloat and say I told you so. :) The primary point of my post however, is that it is silly to call people that aren't sold on drafting Yao "haters" and then have someone inject accusations of racism into the debate.

7. Live

Live Member

You mean players like Shaq, Duncan, Webber, Ewing, Iverson?

Remember, for every Pervis Ellison there's a Tim Duncan.

Point taken on both regards.

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Live,mr_gootan - I think you missed my point or maybe I was not clear in expressing it, my bad. My point is the level of competiton he has faced in the CBA is nothing compared to what he will see in the NBA. Alot of people are predicting his outcome on the level of competition he has played againist which is impossible to do. If I played a bunch of third graders I would be awesome, but put me up againist real competition and I would suck...........this is just an analogy to show you where i`m coming from. Of course I realize you cannot draft anyone with NBA experience, that was a silly comment, although you can trade the pick to get an impact player who can help you NOW which is what I would prefer. I guess we will agree to disagree on this subject which is what makes the BBS so much fun, because in the end we all want the same thing, another championship.

9. yaomingdude

yaomingdude Member

The reason why there are no negative quotes on www.YaoMingMania.com is probably because professionals working in the industry are quoted there, not amateurs like those that post to this board. The fact is that not many industry pros have raised serious skepticism about Yao. And I think the point is the opinions of great evaluators of talent like Jerry West (who love him) are going to outweigh what any amaeteur armchair quarterback would post on this BBS.

The other thing that people forget is that not only is the talent in the China Basketball Association better than what you'll see in any high school (re: Kobe & T-Mac competition level), but also that the Chinese start grooming their athletes when they are very young. I read that when Yao started showing signs that he was going to be tall at an early age, they immediately put him into a special training program, similar to what they do with gymnasts. Now I'm not saying that's the best thing to do for a child, but it does produce results. Look at all the medals the Chinese gymnasts and divers win in the Olympics. They dominate. This is also no different that what kids of some athletes go through here in the US who become awesome athletes, like Kobe, Tiger Woods, Ken Griffey Jr., etc.

The point is that when you start these kids young, they can become very special. The fact that Yao dominates Chinese basketball shows that he likely has the potential to dominate here. Just look at that game where he shot 21-21. I don't care if you are playing against a YMCA team, that's a sign that you're mentally tough (just like those Chinese divers who have extremely high levels of concentration) and perhaps beyond a level we've ever seen here in basketball. He might raise the expectations and level of everyone's game here in the US as we have never seen, like Tiger has done in golf. With low shooting percentages so rampant in the NBA, he might be the best thing that ever happened to fans tired of bricks from big (and small) men.

#29 yaomingdude, Jun 20, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2002