1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A snapshot of Westbrook's overrated (and Harden's underrated) defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

Did Nene get the ball? No, thus Westbrook's rotation was fine. Could nene had gotten that pass? Could adams have recovered? Maybe, but that's speculation, and I'm just looking at facts here, and when you are playing defense you don't play the hypothetical. You do your job, and westbrook did his job. Grant should have moved over from ariza to guard beverley. Russell can't guard two people and has no responsibility to recover back to bev. Then Roberson most likely would recover to Grant's man, considering Oladipo was across the screen. But Grant was ball-watching (typical 76ers habit developing).

So no, I'm still not wrong. But nice try. Your argument that he could have done his job better, when he did his job, is strange. The Rockets bigs had fumbled many of those passes in the lane; Gordon sure wasn't threading the needle, nor does he have the ability to.

Don't get into a defensive analysis argument with me. It's not worth it.

No Chance likes this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Cool stuff. But I thought this NBA is a team game

Houston Rockets vs OKC

3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

How does the fact that Nene didn't get the ball make it fine? That's just because Gordon decided not to pass it to him. Westbrook was still in the wrong position to cover either player. Of course you play the hypothetical on defense. That's exactly what Westbrook was doing by hedging off of Beverley. He was covering the hypothetical scenario where Gordon passes it to Nene, only he flagrantly half assed it, so he ended up not covering either player, and not even trying to recover on Pat once one of the two hypotheticals became reality.

If Westbrook had fully committed to helping on Nene, Grant would have probably come over. But he didn't. He just hung out in a vacuum staring at the ball the whole play.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Watch the play again. When Gordon makes the pass, Westbrook is literally one step away from Nene, and Nene's back is to the basket. In the time it would've taken Nene to catch the ball and turn around, Westbrook would've been in his face. He was in proper help position.

When the pass was made to Beverley, Westbrook was 19 feet away and had his back to Beverley. Westbrook had zero chance at contesting Beverley's shot.

Watch the play again. When Gordon is airborne, Adams jumps to contest him, and that's when Nene rolls to the basket. Additionally, Adams lands at about the same time that Beverley catches the 22 foot pass. It would've been impossible for Adams to recover to defend Nene.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I've watched the play like 10 times, and I have no idea what you're seeing with Nene... He was like five feet from the basket turned sideways, which would barely require any rotation for him to go up for a dunk or layup (you don't have to be square to the basket from that distance, and having his back to Westbrook, if anything, gives him the advantage).

And lulz @ 19 feet. C'mon, brah. The baseline 3-pt line is barely even 19 feet from the basket. He was like 12-15 feet tops. And he was objectively closer than Grant. Though Grant was arguably in better position to contest since he didn't [fully] have his back to Bev.

I'll give you the point about Adams, though. For some reason I thought he was on the ground still when that pass was made. He would have been screwed if Gordon passed it to Nene. But Westbrook was still in no position to help if that happened. (So if anything, you can argue that Gordon made the wrong pass)

I'm curious, though. Do you people defending Westbrook just think he made the right play here specifically? Or are you defending him because you actually believe he's a good defender in general?

#25 SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Because when somebody is 7 inches taller and 70 lbs heavier, it's very feasible for him to muscle the ball through the smaller defender. Or see something like this:

Good rotation, sucks to be small. So, yes, it is fine if Westbrook is able to deter a pass *in the paint* despite obvious physical disadvantage.

Whatever. Have fun with hypotheticals.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Oh you're saying that Gordon didn't make that pass because Westbrook was there? Debatable, at best, but if so, that may be on Gordon. The fact remains that IF he DID make that pass, Westbrook was in bad position to stop Nene from scoring.

Anyways, my question above remains. Do you believe Westy is anything more than a trash defender? Or are you just defending this particular play?

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

[​IMG]

This is what I'm seeing. Look where Westbrook is relative to Nene and the basket. Unless you're asserting that Nene is faster and more explosive than Westbrook, there's no way that he beats Westbrook to the basket.

And regarding Westbrook being 19 feet away from Beverley, look at Westbrook's right foot. It's on the inner circle. Isn't that about 3 feet from the basket? And the baseline 3 pointer is 22 feet from the basket. That's how I arrived at 19 feet. Even if you argue that Westbrook's left foot is 4 feet from the basket, there's still 18 feet between him and Beverley. Plus, Westbrook has his back turned to Beverley. It would've been impossible for Westbrook to contest Beverley's shot.

In this specific play, Westbrook made the proper defensive rotation.

jbasket likes this.
  9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm not saying he beats Westbrook to the basket. I'm saying he's close enough that Westbrook is not going to stop him from scoring or at the very *least* drawing a foul. (Most likely drawing a foul and getting two points if he was fouled). When a 6'3" PG tries to stop a 7-footer with a 100 lbs on him under the basket, it usually doesn't end well... Besides, it's not like we're talking about Nene beating him off the dribble or in an end-to-end foot race. Nene just has to take one small step as he goes up and likely puts Westbrook through the rim.

I'm just saying it's no coincidence that Beverley is shooting 67% in this series on 18 ppg. Westbrook is possibly the single worst defensive PG in the league, and this is one example of that, even if it's not necessarily the most blatant.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

As long as we're playing the "unsubstantiated hypothetical game", Westbrooks is in ideal position to draw an offensive foul from Nene. After all, Nene does have a tendency to dip his shoulder and we know Westbrook would flop. Furthermore, since they're already under the basket, Westbrook being in the inner circle is irrelevant.

Pick a better example....maybe one where Westbrook isn't making the proper defensive rotation?

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Dude, what? There is no way Westbrook is drawing an offensive foul there unless Nene did something REALLY stupid. Nene was already almost in the restricted area before even catching that pass, and Westbrook was still behind him. By the time he catches the ball and steps towards the basket, and Westbrook catches up, Westbrook (in the best case scenario) is literally underneath the basket. Completely ineligible to draw a charge. How is him being in the inner circle irrelevant in that case?

Also, you're right about the distance. The baseline three is further than I realized, so my mistake there. But Westbrook still was closer than Grant. And he had turned around fully by the time Bev caught the ball and elected to just stare at him. But I guess Grant knew that was going to happen as he started trying to close as the pass was in the air.

#31 SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017
  12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Again, look at the picture. Westbrook and Nene are standing next to each other at the inner circle. Given that Nene isn't facing the basket, he's not going to be able to catch the ball and shoot it in one motion. He's going to have to catch the ball and square himself. So what takes longer...Nene catching the ball, squaring himself, and turning to the basket? or Westbrook taking literally one step?

Also, you're wrong about the charge rules inside the circle.

The baseline 3 pointer is 22 feet from the basket.

It doesn't matter that Beverley was originally Westbrook's man. That's why defensive rotations are a thing. There are plenty of examples of Westbrook playing poor defense. This isn't one of them.

13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You took a while to reply, but somehow still missed my edits, heh. I conceded the point on distance, but again, the exact distance doesn't matter. The point in Bev being WB's man is that when it's even debatable who is closer to his man, then the defender who's man it is should be the one to close out. The fact that Westbrook WAS closer just makes matters even worse. It's like Westbrook forgot he even was supposed to be guarding Beverley since he looked surprised when the pass was thrown.

And what rules am I missing about the circle? If Nene catches the ball just outside the circle there, there is nowhere Westbrook can reasonably get to to draw a charge. If there's some weird caveat in the rules I'm unaware of, I'm all ears, but I'm pretty sure whatever it may be is a stretch. Westbrook was just not going to stop that play.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

black text foul, didn't read

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Of course the exact distance matters. That's literally the most important consideration. If the defender knows he's not going to be able to contest the shot, why bother closing out? Not only would closing out be futile, but it'd surrender any positional advantage in terms of rebounding. At that point, the defense's only option is to box out, hope the shooter misses, and play for the rebound.

It's awesome how confident you are despite being so unaware of the rules. I hope you never change.

16. atam

atam Member

Defensively his performance was atrocious, offensively of course he's incredible.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Holy jeez. Is OP still arguing about the basic points of defensive rotation? Please, just accept the possibility that you are wrong OP. Please do so. You can make a normal point about Westbrook's lack of D, but it was just a bad example you used. Everyone that knows fundamental defense knows that Westbrook was supposed to rotate to Nene like he did. And it's cool I guess that you missed Clutch's thread with the exact same 2 videos in the first post, but it's not like the videos don't start off with a "Clutchfans" intro cut.

jbasket and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, speaking as someone who's actually taken 18 shots in a quarter in an organized game, I can tell you: it's really exhausting.

jbasket and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Again, the distance doesn't matter in the sense that he was still closer than his teammate. Of course in a general sense, it matters. But if he's so far from Beverley that he was literally incapable of recovering, yet he was still far enough from Nene that he he even MIGHT not be able to contest his shot, then what the hell is he doing?

OK, fine, I'll completely withhold judgment. Unlike you I've already admitted a couple of places where I was or may be wrong so far in this thread. You don't even seem open to the possibility. But I will say it is possible there exists some rule I'm not aware of where Nene could have realistically offensively fouled Westbrook. So are you going to tell me what this rule is?

He played more D in that 4th quarter than the rest of the game. He was guarding Westbrook on a handful of those shots in the 4th, for example, and at least attempted to close out on other attempts. But yes, he does leave something to be desired on that end a little too often. As I tried to make clear in my OP, my post was not about claiming Harden was Bruce Bowen (though WB can make him look like it sometimes).

#39 SuperMarioBro, Apr 20, 2017
  20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Until someone can explain to me how Westbrook could possibly have stopped Nene in the position he was in, yeah, I'm keeping the argument up.

I know that WB was [at least partly] in that position for the sake of help defense, but my point is that he didn't do it effectively. He ended up being in a noncommittal position and was not going to be able to stop anything. No one has yet disproved this in any reasonable way. Just accept the possibility that you are wrong, Kim.