1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A simple take on Ty Lawson from the perspective of a recovered alcoholic.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jfbradley1985, Jul 21, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

yes 4 but the first was in college, the second is not known when he said it himself to a policeman when he was caught this year and it happened in Missouri and the two last happened in the last 6 months.

Listen, if he was an average Joe everyone would say by now that he is an alcoholic by the amount of evidence. But because he's a player of the Rockets now many try to downplay it to "someone who just likes to party and made a couple of mistakes purely accidental".

But as you can see by this thread alone, recovery is hard and long but feasible. That's the message of this thread in my opinion. If you admit your problems and are brave and strong you can regain your life and your health. And Lawson can as well.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

First off Congrats to O.P. on your recovery. I know that turning away from an addiction takes a tremendous amount of dedication and work. Been there. That said.

For those of you who think Ty will walk in and leave all these bags behind him, think again. Overcoming alcoholism or any substance abuse issue is VERY hard. If Ty is indeed an alcoholic that means no more hanging out with Harden at a bar in Los Angeles. No more drinking period. To beat this disease you have to remove yourself from your triggers. If Denver was one of those triggers then great. He can check that off the list. But I assure you he has more than one trigger. They have to be identified and dealt with. 30 day program is great and can kick start you. But, you have to maintain after that. He has to WANT to maintain. If he doens't want to nothing anyone says can change that. Not even the threat of losing millions of dollars can change that. As a fan of the Rockets I hope that he can beat this demon. But as a person with experience. I really hope Ty can beat this Demon for himself. He has so much to lose and it is VERY possible that is what it will take. Lets hope he is in the minority of folks that manage to recover before losing everything.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Good luck on your recovery mate!

PM me. I'll try hooking you up with Ty. I have more faith in you than John Lucas

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just checking in. Hello my name is Kevin.

5. raining threes

Good for you, it ssems to me that Lawson has a driving problem. Assign him a uber driver and problem solved. Mix him another drink and continue to put up 15/9. I could care less if Ty's an alcoholic as long as he can put the ball in the hole and dish the dimes.

My sister is an AA leader and she is one messed up chick. AA isn't the answer. Although Ty should have a field day picking up chicks in AA/Rehab.

Leave Ty alone and let him live HIS life.

6. sabesque

sabesque Member

This is such a generous, personal and powerful post. Really glad to hear that you've found a better life and you are so successfully navigating the journey. Posts like this is ClutchFans at it's best. Thank you.

I have people close to me who are also going through the journey and I have so much respect. I don't know many people who live their lives with the same amount of discipline, introspection, and perspective as people who are going through the journey.

I'm so hopeful that Ty Lawson is commit to the journey. If he does I'll have so much respect (especially considering the NBA players lifestyle).

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congrats on all you've done to improve your condition. That's really impressive. People who do the hard things needed to improve always deserve major respect.

Thanks for sharing.

8. Victorious

Victorious Member

Its false. Only 2 documented DUIs. In college, he got caught drinking while underage, which everybody in college does.

9. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Brave post by OP. You were lucky to get your life on the right track. Unfortunately I have a neighbor/friend who went from having a nice new job and new house to a life spiraling out of control because of 20+ years of drinking.

It's one thing for someone to realize and admit they have a problem but it's another for the family and people around you to help you realize you have a problem. Too many people find heavy drinkers amusing and in many ways the life of the party so they're unwilling to say "maybe you need to cut back" until lives are ruined. Many times some of these people are enablers because they also are heavy drinkers and don't want to drink alone.

My neighbor reconnected with an old high school & army buddy and spent a lot of time having fun and drinking. He'd leave his teen daughters home alone go party in Vegas or Napa Valley with his buddy. Basically he started taking a lot of 3 or 4 day weekends and ended up getting laid off. He eventually got another job at much lower pay. Got his second DUI in 5 years while driving his 12 yo daughter to go babysit his gf's kid so they could party together. Lost his license for a year and thought he was going to lose his new job so he talked about quitting drinking, but didn't. His teen daughters started acting out. One started smoking pot in public another acted out sexually and got a reputation with the boys at her middle school and the local high school. Both took their dad's car when he was passed out drunk so they could go hangout with friends.

To top things off 1 years later he was having abdominal pains so he went to the doctor and found out he had a tumor on his liver. Had surgery to remove it. Six months later another tumor and surgery, but his liver was fried. There was some discussion about possible transplant, but the cancer had already spread to his other organs. He basically has 1 to 2 years left.

My message is speak up and get involved if you know someone who's life is spiraling out of control because of an addiction. You might lose a friend, but maybe you can prevent lives from being ruined.

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Congrats to all who are overcoming this addiction, so proud of each of you.

11. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

First of all. Thank you all for the kind words and the congratulatory posts! I didn't expect my topic to create such good vibes when I woke up.

Anyway, for my self to define as an alcoholic is when one has every reason to stop in the world and simply cannot. Lawson, in this case, has some serious jail time ahead of him if he keeps this up, family and friends are probably becoming affected, and lastly, his career will become jeopardized. So far he has a lot of reasons to stop, if he can't on his own power, he might be an alcoholic.

12. rockets018

rockets018 Member

As a friend of Bill W. myself, I agree with all points.

The main thing that I would like to add is that we have no idea if Lawson is an alcoholic. Sometimes people are young and dumb and make irresponsible decisions. I hope for his sake that he is not an alcoholic, but if he is that he gets the help he needs.

As fans, the best thing we can do is be supportive and not only root for this guy to help our team, but root for the guy to succeed as a person. Life is much bigger than basketball. At times I know I can forget this.

13. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

Not sure you understood one of my points. In my experience the drink will catch up sooner than later, and that may be about to come soon. Seems like his problem is accelerating quickly, now with the spotlight, it could easily get worse.

On your sister though, sorry to hear about that. AA was and is the only answer for me. sounds like she might need to go through the steps again if she is truly messed up. It worked for me.

14. rockets018

rockets018 Member

I know plenty of men and women who have not relapsed once after they received helped.

15. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Going to AA meetings doesn't change somebody, but doing the work does. You can't receive recovery by osmosis, but plenty of people try to do this.

I suspect this is this case with your sister, and I say this because maybe you can be of further help to her. Too many people just go to meetings thinking that's enough and still live "messed up" lives, but think that everything is great.

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I don't think alcoholism is defined by how much you drink, it is really more about how the drinking is affecting your behavior. Once any habit becomes self destructive and self defeating it becomes an addiction.

To the guy working a 9 to 5 that point will come a lot sooner than a guy that has millions of dollars and hangers on that tell him everything is alright.

17. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Very true. Alcoholism is revolving your life around your DOC. Be it booze or pain pills. When you begin to alter your life to accommodate your addiction. Altering your behavior. Making choices that are detrimental to your health and well being and continuing to do so even when you know legally you could be in trouble are all signs you have a problem. I would love nothing more than for Lawson to see the light and this be the biggest steal the rox have made since Harden. But also I am prepared for the possibility Lawson barely plays this year and ends up out of the league. You just do not know how deep this disease runs with some people. Hell, the addict themselves often do not know how far in they are until their butts land at rock bottom. Lawson is a HUGE question mark for this year.

18. hakeemthagreat

Quick question, is the media overreacting with Ty Lawson? Yes he's had WAY to many dui's, but they are acting like he's a alcoholic. Being alcoholic and driving while drunk too many times are totally 2 different things. Am I seeing this wrong?

19. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Nope, you are spot on. No one knows for sure what is going on. Above I stated it could just as easily be that he made a couple dumb decisions.

Media loves to create storms.

20. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

The facts are that not only did he have 2 dui's in 6 months of each other which is something one cannot overlook whithin themselves on whether or not they have a problem. He has also had run ins prior to this. With such facts, of course i cannot say he is one, but man, in my experience those are some huge red flags.