1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A simple take on Ty Lawson from the perspective of a recovered alcoholic.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jfbradley1985, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Outstanding post and congratulations, OP. I've lost a couple of good friends to alcoholism, gone way before their time. They lost the battle. I hope Ty isn't an alcoholic, but he might be. This could be his chance to turn his life around, as well as his career, if he's an alcoholic, or he might just be unlucky. Hard to say. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Guess we'll find out.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Great post. Rep'ed.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Congratulations on the turnaround.... all of you who chimed in!

4. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Congratulations OP on staying sober. June 4th was 5 years for me.
    For Ty, once again if he is an alcoholic, i hope this latest arrest was his "rock bottom". If it was and he can admit to himself that he is powerless over his alcoholism then I know that this disease can be beaten.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am very excited about the acquisition of Ty Lawson. From the VICE video I have seen and looking at his partying with Harden and him wearing a T-shirt that says "You look like you might need a drink", I don't get the impression that he himself actually realizes he has a problem, though.

Also, great post, OP, and congratulations to all of you who have overcome alcoholism.

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

Interesting. A lot of you have created accounts here while being active alcoholics.

7. malakas

malakas Member

that's the most serious issue with all addicts. Not realising their issues or admitting to themselves.

If Lawson can admit his problems to himself then half the battle is won.
    If he thinks "the problem was the Nuggets or Colorado, or I just like to party a little does it matter if I come drunk in practices for years ? " and finds other excuses then it will be hard long road.

8. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

How many guys watch sports and drink beer. As long as ive seen this has been a norm in society. Drink a few beers watching the game and call it a night. But then it gets worse for fans, cause if something they dont like happens, then bam, it goes to 3-4 to then 12 pack in a night. Well you look at alcholics that like drink hardcore booze, in bars going almost every night. Or not being able to function correctly at a job because they are so hung over, or not able to function because they are craving it, what ever it might be. But i just think beer is not a big deal. Honestly... Think about all the beer commericals during rockets games, it annoying as hell, how can anyone not be a beer drinker and watch the rockets i mean comon?

So you say Lawson is hitting the hard core pootch like every day, and going to night clubs and living a horrible nightlife. Not like some guy who works every day, comes home and drink 3-4 beers a night and goes out can function on the job. etc. etc... so you tell me, everyone has there hangups with the drink... some drink more and some drink less, I think its is totally cool with what the OP said about his problems, its cool to quit. But i just think beer is not a big deal...

Sports makes it even harder to not quit drinking...

9. malakas

malakas Member

So you deny that there is a condition called alcoholism?
    It's not "some people can't handle their booze" and it's not "I'm just partying"
    It's a real ADDICTION.
    Being a social occasional drinker and being an alcoholic are two different things.

10. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

It can be two different things unless you cant handle it. Some can just say no to there urges while others have to give in to it. Me for instance, i couldnt buy beer recently for 2 weeks, and the reason was i just cant afford it. So did it kill me no, did the with drawls hurt ? yes... Would i buy beer if i had money, well maybe so.... But who knows i could probably talk my self out of it if i needed to... Its a state of mind, unless your really caught up into it. Really truth is you dont really need poison to live lol. It kinda hard for people to understand this when your way into it... People are drinking poison lol..... kinda sad i know.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Congrats to OP for overcoming alcoholism.

I have never been an alcoholic but I felt like one when Juwan Howard played for the Rockets.

12. MONON

MONON Member

It's threads like this that make Clutchfans so awesome! Congrats & thanks to OP & the other recovering alcoholics for sharing!

13. malakas

malakas Member

You are not addicted that's why. But people who are addicted they can't live without it. They would rather not buy food to spend on alcohol.
    It's also has a physical component, your body as well as your mind is poisoned.
    Telling someone " just don't buy it, you don't need it to live" it's not enough to overcome it.

14. the shark

the shark Member

Thanks for sharing your story, and congrats on the four yrs of sobriety. Hopefully you can stay on the right path.

15. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

How would one define alcoholism? Getting drunk on occasion? Having a few glasses of wine or pints of beer a day? What's the threshold? Is he dependent on it to get through the day? I hope that he made a few bad decisions after he got drunk a couple of nights and that's that. If he actually has a problem, I hope John Lucas can help.

To the OP, congratulations. Hope that Ty helps the Rockets get that chip.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

every alcoholic i've known ends up having multiple relapses so i don't expect lawson to be all healed up after 30days in rehab. this is likely going to be a season-long back-and-forth process

17. PeppermintCandy

According to the Nugz GM,

coming into practice with alcohol on your breath,

missing practice possibly due to drinking.

Two DUIs in a half year.

and this GM going on record to say that there may be a problem.

Lots of red flags. I really hope he and the Rockets can work it out.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Thanks OP for sharing on a truly difficult topic / situation. Wish you the best on your continued journey!

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would also like to add that the Nuggets' GM's statements seem to be mostly self-serving. Everything he says is probably true, but the reason he goes public with it is that he doesn't want his own fan base to turn against him for seemingly not having gotten enough value in return for Lawson. It's kind of understandable.

20. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

4??? Did he do jail time for that? The average Joe probably would have.