1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Role for T-Mac: Peja Stojakovic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]
    Peja Stojakovic
    Born: Jun 9, 1977
    Height: 6-10 / 2,08
    Weight: 229 lbs. / 103,9 kg.
    Years Pro: 10

Tracy McGrady
    Born: May 24, 1979
    Height: 6-8 / 2,03
    Weight: 223 lbs. / 101,2 kg.
    High School: Mount Zion Christian Acad. HS (NC)
    Years Pro: 11

[First I'm amazed that Peja is just 2 yrs older than McGrady. Peja seems so much older. . . .]
    Peja is slightly taller and heavier

That said.
    If McGrady could just play the role Peja played on the SacTown Teams
    we will be ok. Peja's deal was disappearing in the playoffs
    [and getting abused defensively]
    While T-Mac maybe not be all world defensively .. . he better than Peja
    It would allow him to Jump shoot like he seems to like to do more now
    [The only issue is movement . . maybe]

Brooks and Rafer are no Bibby and Bobby
    and Scolandry is no Chris Webber [even injured the man could pass]
    but
    I think this team could do well . . . we even have a Doug Christie 2.0
    [Battier is a MAN and not making purses with his overly psycho wife]

I think T-Mac may just need to settling into the Jump/Spotup shooter
    getting fed off penetration. If he can do that. . .The rockets will prosper

Rocket River

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Considering his play style, a Peja role could work.

Though this is giving up much of his ability to dribble penetrate and make assists.

We can't really fully assume where McGrady is going. Although we all think the knee is really taking him back, with Mcgrady he could fully heal any moment.

There is too much talent in him to just play him as a shooter. However, IF we are to take the McGrady as of now through till the playoffs, then a Peja type role is the only option.

3. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I think a better comparison is the Spurs not the old Kings. A Role for T-Mac: Mike Finley.

pg ???? vs T. Parker
    sg T. McGrady vs M. Finley
    sf S. Battier vs B. Bowen
    pf L. Scola vs M. Bonner
    c Y. Ming vs T. Duncan
    ------------------------------------
    pg A. Brooks vs G. Hill
    sg V. Wafer vs R. Mason Jr.
    sf R. Artest vs M. Ginobilli
    pf C. Landry vs K. Thomas
    c ??? vs I. Mahinmi
    ---------------------------------------
    11. C. Hayes vs F. Oberto
    12. B. Barry vs J. Vaughn
    ----------------------------------------
    13. D. Mutumbo vs
    14. L. Head (soon to be traded) vs I. Udoka
    15. J. Dorsey (soon to be traded) vs A. Tolliver

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Umm.. completely different players.

Peja is a pure shooter.. McGrady is a pure scorer.

McGrady will never have as sweet a stroke as Peja, but he can do many other things better. I'm not a fan of making McGrady a spot up shooter. We need him as a triple-threat.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No way TMac could ever fill Paja's role. Paja is one of the great 3 point shooters and TMac is....TMac, not a very good jump shooter at all.

6. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

he wishes he has peja's shooting touch lol..

t-mac is a very streaky shooter, he is at his best when he slashes and finish around the basket, not shooting 3 all day

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Hey RR,

Nice to see that you are bringing a nice discussion to the table on what to do with T-Mac.

This is an interesting idea.... You could actually put T-Mac on the same side as Yao or put him at the top where he would be a Double Threat, T-Mac will not be a Triple Threat this year...

T-Mac can still pass and putting him at the top would actually work out (that's where he was when Rafer was hurt and Brooks was starting) T-Mac's 6'8 and has great court vision.

Nice Thread and Ideal.

T_Man

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

McGrady's strength is his passing NOT shooting. It used to be scoring but his efficiency in scoring has dropped considerably.

9. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

anybody who knows anything about mcgrady, peja stojakovic and basketball in general would not come up with such a thread.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not a bad thought but Tmac would have to accept moving off the ball, and so far, not happening.

DD

11. GOAT

GOAT Member

Mac can not shoot no where near the way Peja can so it will not work

12. _samoa_

_samoa_ Member

the first thought, this is huge waste of talent, tmac is capable of much more.
    second, i don't see how tmac can shoot those 3s as peja does and tmas has been inconsistent for a while shooting behind the arc.
    third, i still believe tmac has the right weapon to do something for rox this year and later on. the problem i have is i just don't understand what happened to tmac, you have such a thick paycheck and you have trouble with your job and you don't give all of it, what's wrong?

13. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

If you watch Tracy shooting on his catch n shoot jumpshots, he is far more effective than off the dribble or when he delays. This could work, and no way he disappears in the play-offs or gets abused defensively.

14. battousai

battousai Member

no way, Tmac is not a catch and shoot guy, he needs to attack in order to be effective. Tmac doesn't have a quick release as PJ.

Head is even better than Tmac at that job.

15. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

And the current delicate situation between TMac and the team may be caused by his disatisfaction with his new less important role on court. Artest needs the ball in hand if coach wants to get the EXPECTED contribution from him. Alston has always been TMac's good boy, he hands the ball to Tmac almost whenever/wherever. But, with the permission from Coach and his ablility, Brooks is free to bring the ball to the rim or shoot it from the three-point line.
    I might be wrong. But my idea is not from nowhere. So far, there is not a single doctor (either his own doctor or Rockets affliated ones) stands up and says 'TMac has physical issues, he is not even 50%, he should play one game and rest the next'.

16. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Um, no kidding.

I have an idea!

A Role for Chuck Hayes: Peja Stojakovic. What do you think?

17. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well, I agree that he has to move without the bball, but I am sure it is not only his decision.

In Philly, in the 1st half he wasn't really handling it that much, in the 2nd half it was all about him. I even think he was forced to dribble, he was expected to give our guys open shots, that's all.

First of all, Adelman needs to understand T-Mac is a scorer first, and should look to score first. Righ now, I don't think he is using Yao or T-Mac in the right way...that's the problem to me.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

okay this is quite possibly the worst Tmac suggestion I have heard... ever.

The guy is a great distributor and you want to take that away from him.

He has a decent shooting percentage - normally - but it's not spectacular from a jump shooting standpoint and you want to try to make him a stand and shoot guy?

Wow.. I mean, really WOW.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Come on, you compare total two different players, then ask the same role, Tmac can no shoot, and Peja can. That is why this team can not win a big when you put Rafer and Tmac on the floor at the same time because both can not shoot the ball well. The best role for Tmac is a passer, he is the best passer in this team even with a weak knee.