1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Psychoanalytical Take on Dwight's Free Throw Issues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Chris Jent MVP

Dwight needs to take an extreme approach and go the opposite way - never practice another free throw again, ever.

Use the extra practice time to work on post moves and 3-pointers.

I promise this approach will work. I knows these things.

2. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Nah. Its not in his head.

Its in his body, specifically his arms. Dwight's are arms strong as all get out, and they could use some loosening. If he could loosen his arms, he'd get better accuracy with his free throws and shooting in general.

He needs to work on his pecs, lats, and specifically bicep and tricep where they attach to his scapula. all the attachments sights in his armpit could use some work. His humerus could use some space and ability to freely move relative to his scapula, his clavicles could use some more mobility, etc etc.

I think its a huge disservice to put the problem "in his head". You're gonna make the poor guy crazy. Its not in his head, the problem is clearly in his muscles, his tight, short, strong, hypertrophied muscles.

3. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

If there were the case then why does he shoot so much better in practice? that's been well documented for his entire career.

How would you feel if you had to speak in front of 15,000 people? Do you think you would be nervous? Now what if you had to do something that you weren't too good at? I'm guessing most NORMAL people would feel pressure and stress and it would negatively impact their performance. That doesn't make them crazy.

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

So if you think it's in his physical mechanics than why do you think he's able to shoot a higher percentage in practice? If it were mechanics, he'd have that problem all the time no? The only variable that changes in game time vs. practice situations is his mental state.

5. Rox>Mavs

sorry didn't see this post before I responded......what ed_tx said....

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

To me, its just concentration. In college I remember going thru a ft slump. At the line I was thinking about what defense we were in,where was the guy I'm suppose to guard, or the last play. When I went to the ft line blank, shot ft at a higher level.

7. NotChandlerParsons

My take: he sucks at em. Thanks for reading.

8. Rox>Mavs

Interesting.....so did you have a slump in practice as well?

while I think it's true it is an issue of concentration, I'm thinking it's not that simple either. You might have had your thoughts filled with defense, last play, etc.....it might be that Dwight is also thinking about tens of thousands of fans in the stadium, what ESPN is going to say about him that night, his legacy as a BIG, etc.....so concentration yes, but harder to do when you've got a bunch of stuff going on in your head that feels a lot more important than it needs to be.

9. NotChandlerParsons

I actually went back and found some footage of Dwight shooting free throws at 18 years old in summer league. Regardless of the psychological reasons, his form is completely busted and terrible compared to how it used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK4UXr3XrU#t=45s

Notice:
    - Pushes with his legs
    - Good follow through
    - Didn't take a year to shoot the free throw, just stepped up and knocked it down