1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Possible PG solution..............

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFAN3035, Apr 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. RocketsFAN3035

Now, I'm not saying this is what we should do. Nor am I saying this will work. All I'm saying is this is a possibility. I'm sick of reading all this "trade Steve" crap. He really is playing out of possition(sort of). If we traded Steve, I would want a top notch PF in return. A C-Webb, KG, Duncan, ect. Since this is not going to happen anytime soon, I don't see Steve leaving. What could we get for him?? Not as much as we should.

So this is what we should do........

Using our draft pick (I'm not sure we have a 1st rounder this year) we should take a solid, defensive minded PG, who does not turn the ball over a lot, is a top notch passer, can score when needed, but by no means will take over a game offensively. I'm thinking Chris Duhon of the Duke Blue Devils. I think he'd fit in great with the JVG system. The kid can really D up. He is an excellent off the ball defender--always dening his man the ball. He is not a great on ball defender, but, he can hold his own well. He is atop the list of steals and assits in the great records of Duke history. He is not a great scorer, but he can take it to the rack, and can hit the open jumper.

Again, this is just something I'm batting around, and I think, no, I know he'd be around in the 2nd round, and I think he is worth taking a look at there. Move Steve to the 2 or trade him or Cat. I'd hate to see either guy go, but I think having a guy like Duhon running our show would be good. Let me know what you think....

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

how about we talk about the rockets and the playoffs and wait for the season to end before we see all these trade/draft threads pop up

3. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I agree. The Rockets really just need a 3rd backcourt player and keep Mobley and Francis together. I'd like to see Cato and Taylor back too. Cato, Taylor and Mobley would be the best bench in the league.

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well I agree that Duhon would be a nice fit, I do not believe that he will be available by the time we get to pick.

5. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Cocaine is a helluva drug...:D

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah, we should wait till after the playoffs to think about the draft.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I agree, we'd have to move up in the second round to get Duhon, but it's not that often you can get a player of his caliber, as well as someone we need, in the second round. I'd package next year's second rounder and this year's to move up and nab Duhon. Most teams don't think they'll get a player out of the second round anyway.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I found your problem right here. You think Francis is as valuable to the Rockets as Garnett and Duncan. I hate to break it to you, but Charlie Ward can get this team 16 points and 6 assists per game, and he won't turn it over 4 times or lead the team in field goal attempts while he is doing it. Not to mention the fact that he makes 10% of Fancy's salary. If we could a couple of good players (Hinrich and Chandler, Murphy and Dunleavy, etc.) for Steve, you have to jump on it. $10 MM for a PG that scores 16 points on under 40% shooting and is last among starting PGs in a/to ratio is rediculous. I would WANT to get Duncan for Moochie, but I was happy to get Weatherspoon.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If Dunleavy and Murphy are so good why is Golden State so sorry. And don't tell me they don't have Yao because this team has had a winning season before Yao without Steve, and Dunleavy and Murphy play with a better shooting guard. Also for someone who complains about Steve's lack of fundamentals, you obviously don't watch a lot of Bulls games if you think Chandler going to be a better fit for the Rockets. Plus the guy has a history of back problems. Some of these proposals are ridiculous.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

When all is said and done (and I love exploring trades as much as anyone -- almost), we must move Jim Jackson to point guard, SF3 to SG and Mobley to Sixth Man for instant offense/defense.

JJ is a much smarter, more savvy player than SF3, and he can defend the taller SGs...assuming Steve will learn to defend the PGs.

I'm sure Mo will work on defense this summer with JVG as the primary instructor. Then we will have a strong PF and an excellent backup C in Cato.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Very simple answer. The Warriors lead the NBA this season is minutes lost to player injuries and that includes Murphy who logged a career low 610 minutes in 28 games. Foyle, Dampier, NVE, Avery Johnson, Speedy Claxton have all missed significant minutes.

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'm interested in Duhon too. I don't know if he is good enough to start, but I'm definitely interested in him as a backup. There's been discussion about this in the NBA Draft forum.