1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Few Thoughts Regarding the Team's Approach and Morey's Tenure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marsarinian, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then grab a fire extinguisher!! ;-)-

I'm enjoying the back and forth between him and Leeb. HI Mana is wrong about one thing, though. Leeb is a huge fan of the Rockets. He simply has his own opinions about the direction the team should take, and who should be making the decisions. Although I often tussle with him about certain topics (a long running disagreement about Luis, for example), I have a high regard for his opinions, right or wrong.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think clutch and bima actually hit it on the head in their pod cast. Teams like New Orleans and Portland have put themselves in a much better position to be competitive going forward by making the right moves last year. We too, could have done some similar things, but we didn't, and we are worse off for it now. So, to me, not knowing when to pull back, reprogram resources in a forward-thinking manner, undermines team progress, and visa versa.

Houston should be in a much stronger draft position than #14. We should have made moves last year to improve our chances of getting a building block in this draft. Portland saw it, but we didn't; why? Because we are only interested in the quick-fix. We don't want to do the tough work of actually building something.

2 people like this.
  3. jogo

jogo Member

This is Morey's biggest flaw IMHO. He does not gamble on younger players in the draft and that leaves us with many low ceiling rotation pieces. Morris, Ppat, Parsons, etc. are all players that showed experience and value in college. This handcuffs us from taking changes are young players with higher ceilings. I am also puzzled by our inability to draft a center (other than Dorsey) in the past X years. Is it because we draft BPA and no centers are considered that good? There have been quite a bit of big C's and PF's in the past few drafts that we just have not drafted.

4. Marteen

Marteen Member

It's depressing as a Rockets fan that we have been stuck in mud for the past 2 years. Who's the face of this franchise currently? Scola? Parsons? Hell, at least Minnesota has a star like Love to build around. We have not a SINGLE star on our team. I'm just hoping and praying Morey can get something done.

5. Asian Sensation

Very astute assessment.

I'm enjoying both points made by Hi and Lee

6. Raven

Raven Member

Les has become Drayton.

1 person likes this.
  7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Who says we cant change things? :) I dont know about you but I have influenced many of topics towards my favor when all is said and done. Those things eventually change if enough opinions move to the other side of the aisle. It really doesnt even take much as some people think. They use advanced stats, owner excuses, player injury, coaching changes. It all really just boils down to the result. Concentrate on the results. If something isnt working? You can make a great case on that one simple concept without too much research. What works and what doesnt. Right now Moreys plan is not working. If he has a good draft he has results to show for it. If he doesnt? I wont need any advanced stats to make a case. Its pretty simple really.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Keep it simple people.

-we are not making the playoffs
    -we have no star players to build on
    -Moreys plans to get big moves have failed
    -have a opportunity to add in a supposed deep draft
    -can move up in the draft will be a positive/negative pending results
    -coach is 500 like last coach was
    -there needs to be no advanced discussions to get any of these right
    -there is only results for Championship type moves or failing moves
    -right now Morey is failing more than succeeding to get to that goal of Championship.

Real simple.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I really have all the data I need. I am just waiting around to see what the next month brings. Who knows - it may be exciting. :grin:

10. jc9495

jc9495 Member

Let's not be results based? ROTFLMFAO... dude, go move to Charlotte and watch the Bobcats. Everything this guy has done has been lateral at best. He is the lateral king. He's indecisive. And none of this is his fault either. It was Les Alexander, David Stern, T-Mac, or someone else who traded for TWill. It's Les Alexander's fault that our best player hates our new coach, it's defintiely not Morey's. Also the fact that our highest payed player recieved DNP-CDs during a cruicial stretch of last season. No one wants to come play in Houston. The Toyota center cannot exceed 75% occupancy. We're drafting 14th again while teams like Portland are making moves to build themselves into a powerhouse. Golden State traded an offensive only SG (sound familiar) and are going to move forward with probably the third best C in the league.
    The funniest thing about it is this.. The agreement was in place with Orlando. When Dwight found out he could be going to Houston, he said ahh hell no and opted for his final year. Yet, like perverted, creepy, sex offenders, Rockets fans still want this guy to come here. Even though he has no desire at all in coming to Houston. When Carroll Dawson was here, Houston was not the (apparent) **** hole organization is has been portrayed now around the league. T-Mac was thrilled to come here. So was Bonzi Wells and even Stromile Swift. This is a city with a strong history of winning, and now (around the league) it's known for a low-balling GM who views anything and everything as a piece or an asset. And of course, none of this is DM's fault.

4 people like this.
  11. comehere2

comehere2 Member

Omg, sir, you're brilliant.

Remember one more thing, "morey is the face of our organization. " (some Other poster said it loudly) And no one wants to be here. Sad, isnt it?

12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

You know I originally had written a much snarkier ending to my post, but revised it because I do respect Lee; I find myself often replying to his posts because so often I disagree with his underlying premise, but they also clearly have thought put behind them. I'm just glad someone is actually reading my posts; figured that anything longer than 3 paragraphs on the internet makes people's eyes glaze over...

1 person likes this.
  13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Try to refrain from posting unless you have a cardiologist in the room with you. I fear for your health. Better yet, don't post at all!! Nowhere at anytime has anyone said Howard opted in because he found out it was Houston. Not Howard, Not Orlando, Not one media member, not anyone. Just a speculative fear by Clutch. So how has it now become Gospel Howard did not come because it was Houston. In the past, Free Agents came to Houston because of Hakeem. If CD had this team, he would have the same problems getting players to come here!! Swift and Wells came to play with Yao. Tracy was excited to play with Yao. Bosh didn't come here because he chose to play with LeBron and Wade and not because Morey was here. Their plan of action was already made during the previous off season they were teaming up in Miami but still Morey made his pitch without fear. Who was he going to come play with here? Kmart? He is about to win a title. Players around the league are not getting together and saying "Man, if we could hook up with Scola and Lowry in H-Town, we could win a title. Naw man, we can't do that because Morey is there!!" Players are not avoiding us because of Morey. They are avoiding us because we don't have a Star player anyone thinks we can win a title with or wants to play with since both of our stars had career ending injuries and in today's NBA where it is all about "Teaming up Stars", nobody wants to come here unless the teams with the stars don't want them!!!!! Morey is trying to get us that star to build around to attract another star. You get stars through trade or sheer dumb luck in the draft and last I checked, Morey has pursued every available star in the last 4 years and I am pretty sure it is common knowledge he is having to do the draft thing without tanking per Les!! Your post sounds like a dim-witted 2nd grader blaming the teacher about not being able to go out to recess in the middle a hurricane because you aren't bright enough to understand what a hurricane is.:rolleyes:

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

On fire !

DD

15. albuster

albuster Member

^^ The list of excuses are not yet long enough, I am sure you can add much more to the excuses for Morey's failures. Keep going Sir, it is just starting to get interesting.

16. albuster

albuster Member

My post was for Mav-Hater.

17. jc9495

jc9495 Member

I admire your handle, as I share the same passion towards Dallas. However what I posted unfortunately is not opinion based. There's factual evidence to back it up. "Morey has pursued every available star in the last 4 years" "Morey is trying to get us that star to build around to attract another star" In other words, he's trying to do something and failing. Like mine, your's and I'm sure everyone else on this board. With our jobs, if we're trying to accomplish something and not getting it done, there's some accountability that comes along with that. If you're pleased with the job he's doing and think he's on the cusp of making this team a contender, then great. You are definitely entitled to your opinion. Instead of resorting to childish similies, I will respectfully disagree with your assesment.
    As for the Dwight decision, please don't be that naive. He does not want to come here. The sooner everyone accepts this, the better off we will be. I know Orlando can really do whatever they want at this point, but I'm more interested in drafting and developing company men.

18. dmoneybangbang

I think what he and other folks (including me) are asking for is a little bit of context instead of painting with broad brush strokes.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not a chance. The only glaze that interests me is on a donut. ;-)-

20. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Brilliant stuff. Very well reasoned response.