1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Few Thoughts Regarding the Team's Approach and Morey's Tenure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marsarinian, Jun 19, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Adelman would not put up with them forcing Finch (Morey's guy) on him.

Morey interviewed the coaches, this is his team, he is the GM, there is no more passing of the buck to Les.

We can't keep passing the buck, if Morey is that powerless than he should leave and go get another job.

DD

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ you guys are arguing about whether or not it's his hand picked coach as if it matters. Two coaches, very similar rosters, exact same results.

Phil Jackson would at best have this team as a first round fodder, and that's debateable - Kobe Bryant + 5 of me might make the first round - this squad has no Kobe Bryant's.

DM's job should be on the line, and not because of McHale.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I believe we’re going to be looking at 4-5 more years of average to slightly above average play. But boy do I hope I’m wrong.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You assume that it was Morey's idea to attempt forcing Finch on Adelman. I would reply that when Alexander told Morey he wanted Adelman gone, Morey likely said, "Mr. Alexander, that could end up being a public relations nightmare. He wants to stay." Alexander replies, "Think of a way to get him to quit. That's what I'm paying you for... that brain of yours."

DD, we could play this game all day. Neither one of us knows what's happening behind the scenes. You blame Morey more than Alexander. I blame Alexander more than Morey, who has done an admirable job, in my opinion, considering our bad luck with injuries during his tenure, our bad luck with Stern (doing the NBA equivalent of the 2000 Supreme Court decision that decided the election) when Morey had a huge trade in place, one of a series of moves (based on what I've read) that would have transformed the team, and the chump who is his boss.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They didn't have to force Adelman out any more than they need to force Marcus Camby out. Adelman was a free agent after his contract ended in 2011.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He wanted to stay at Houston. In that sense, he was "forced out."

7. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Way too much blame going around to Morey. He took a swing with Yao and Tracy and they were both injury casualties (both beyond his control) and he consistently made moves to surround them with what they needed (Artest). He has recovered the best anyone could under the circumstances from losing two franchise players. He took a swing this winter at a complete makeover and got Sterned. What was really left to do afterwards? That cost him Nene, Hayes and Lin as signees. He took a swing at the deadline and got Howarded. I am sure all his eggs were in that basket. What significant move could he have done by the time he found out Dwight was staying? Some of you seem to be blaming him for other teams trades like he should have made them for us. I may not always agree with him, but, I am sure he has a plan in place for 8 days from now and I, for one, am going to be patient and see what happens instead of getting in arguments with some of you NBA2K12 fantasy GM's. I hope the plan is a good one, but if Morey goes down, I am pretty confident he is going down taking his swings.

8. DaDakota

It very well could be Les, and if that is the case, I would assume Morey would be leaving to a better job anyway, and probably soon.

DD

9. DaDakota

No kidding - look, Morey signed up to be the GM, he has control - that is what a GM is.....

He is not ducking it, why do some people on here continue to make excuses for his inability to make a difference?

He has done pretty well, but he also started out underestimating the importance of size - he generally drafts low risk players with low upside all the while telling folks he wants a roster of high upside guys.

And he has a reputation around the league with players as being cheap....

Morey is good, but he is not the best, and hardly proven......

Not to mention him stacking the roster with like level players and all the chemistry issues that causes....Brooks and now Lowry cough cough.

DD

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey is an outsider and will long be viewed as a stats guy with no real knowledge of the game. Last I checked Pat Riley is the type of guy you need as a GM... Morey seems like he's a talented stats guy with the ability to find good players, but he might be in the wrong position to be an effective leader.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My god :rolleyes:

You cannot be serious.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

I don't understand how Morey could be rated as good or ok...

Look at the boring team and the ticket selling ...

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Completely.

Pat = as much as I don't care for him, he has 7 rings -- soon to be 8 (real insider and knowledge of the game)

Morey = Brilliant but no proven track record. Last I checked we hasn't produced any results. He's made great small moves, but we're still less of a team than when he got here. He's a numbers guy who I totally love working as GM, but I think we can do better. His philosophy is that of a person who should be finding the players that can surround an allstar. So far he hasn't found us one in the draft and he hasn't brokered a single game changing deal that puts us in contention. So yeah :rolleyes:

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Also Morey got rid of Rick and hired McHale. Seriously I don't think I need to say much more.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey does no wrong, only right. When something goes wrong, it's someone else's fault.

It's Les' fault! No, it's Stern's fault! No, it's the basketball Gods fault! No wait, It's DaDakota's fault!

Just a bunch of excuses as to why this team has gone nowhere the past 3 years. Literally stayed in place.

No excuses from the Cavs, Hornets, Jazz, Nuggets, or Blazers (and possibly the Bulls).

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You know my stance. Its show me this year or you are not doing your job. Excuses wont fly anymore. This is your year Morey. Sink or swim.

17. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

They let go of Artest because he showed up in his underwear to a game 7, and was declining so quickly he became untradeable as soon as he put on a Lakers jersey. They traded Landry at the very peak of his value. They resigned Scola because they were able to keep him at a fair price. They traded Ariza early enough so they got a great piece for him, rather than having to dump him for nothing. They traded old for young in Battier for 1/2 of Motiejunas. They tried and failed to take advantage of the Nets, which is clearly the the best way to rebuild a team nowadays.

Again, I believe they had a direction with the Pau Gasol/Nene move; make the playoffs as a 4/5 seed that would be an absolute matchup nightmare, and would then pump up the value of their remaining role players. When David Stern vetoed the deal, it completely killed the trade value of all the Rockets players, and also allowed the LA Clippers to build a playoff team.

I think the Portland Trailblazers have done an excellent job in rebuilding despite losing Brandon Roy and Greg Oden. Having said that, what difference was there in acquiring Gerald Wallace and Kevin Martin? Both players were injury prone, young veterans with several years remaining on oversized contracts. Portland gave up 2 #1s, Houston gave up Landry and got back Martin and 2#1s. Portland got lucky in that Brooklyn got desperate; Houston got unlucky in that David Stern sabotaged Kevin Martin's trade value when they were selling high.

I don't understand how you give Portland credit for giving away a pending free agent (Camby), whom they have no intention of signing, yet think this is a negative when the Rockets do the same thing and actually get a first rounder (Battier).

This is complete BS. You're just looking for reasons to hate on the Rockets now. With 7 games to go, the Nuggets and Rockets had identical records this year; would you still be pointing to them as a model franchise if instead of them going 6-1, and the Rockets 2-5, they both go 4-3 and knock the Jazz out of the playoffs? Both teams were missing a key player (Gallinari, Lowry) for long periods of time, both had a precocious rookie (Faried, Parsons). Both had a breakout season from a young PG (Lawson, Dragic), and aging, flawed veterans (Miller, Harrington, Scola, Martin). Arguably the only difference in the two teams is that the Nuggets were able to sign Nene, then asset-ize him for McGee. Again, you're giving the Nuggets credit for a move that you chastize the Rockets for even thinking about.

The Nuggets actually have very little salary cap flexibility going forward, as a McGee contract will chew through all their salary space this offseason, while a Lawson extension will take all of it in 2013. There will be no window where they become a player in FA, and unless they pull the opposite of a Carmelo deal, they're going to be locked out of getting a game-changer for much longer than the Rockets will.

Clear consistency is all I ask of you. Don't sit here telling me everyone knew Yao was done after his first foot injury, then say the Rockets should commit to Brook Lopez after he has an identical condition. Don't tell me that the Rockets need to build a core, then complain when they don't trade away guys for maximum value. I guarantee that if they had just dumped Lowry like you said, you'd be one of the very first and loudest voices in here complaining about it.

7 people like this.
  18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Let me just say this. IF Morey does his job? We wont have anything to talk about besides how excited are for_____ player. Just do your Job and we wont be on Your Butt Morey. Give us excitement. There will be no talk that isnt drowned out be the excited optimism. Its as simple as that. Anything less than exciting in this draft and free agency period gets a F grade from now on. No more incompletes. No more excuses. The entire GM position gets an F for his whole time here from now on if nothing goes down in this offseason. Period.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

^ Hi Mana is on fire

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

May as well be complaining about the weather for all the good it is going to do. Me, I try not to get my blood pressure all worked up about things I cannot change.