1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Few Thoughts Regarding the Team's Approach and Morey's Tenure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marsarinian, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Eric Gordon and Roy Hibbert are also big FAs. And Asik and K Hump.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Two of those free agents are restricted - Gordon and Hibbert - and their teams are expected to match. Asik may not be matched because Chicago is flirting with the Luxury tax, but are expected to try to move Deng to make room. Humphries is a UFA PF and we have better players on the roster.

And I have to ask how much of an upgrade would D-Will be over Dragic? If you want to upgrade the team significantly next year you have to focus on the 5.

#182 jtr, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

It's arguable how much of an upgrade it is, but I don't think anyone would argue that it's an upgrade. Personally I don't think it's all that close, but that's just my opinion. It might be close if you look at production vs. cost, but if there's one thing we know about the NBA it's that you need the best of the best to win it all.

The Rockets aren't a good enough team to look at positional need. We need more talent, period.

Now Williams alone wouldn't do much, as the Rockets aren't one elite player away and I think it's safe to assume that the Rockets know they have as good as no chance to convince Williams to sign here, unless they trade for Dwight Howard first.

Thus, what we really are talking about here is not so much about Dragic vs. D-Will, as it is about Dragic and [average center] vs. D-Will and Dwight Howard.
    Given the intel that we have there's no way Howard would re-sign in Houston to play with Goran Dragic. He might stay here to play with Deron Williams though.

Obviously the chances of the Rockets getting one of the two are slim, though I think it's fair to assume if we were to get one (Howard), the chances of the Rockets getting the other one (Williams) as well would go up drastically.

First thing is first though. Until then all this all is highly speculative and rather pointless.

4. supa

supa Contributing Member

And you really think the Bulls are going to say sorry Asik no contract this summer cause we may get Dwight next year??? You are really stretching things here. Very similar to your insisntance that Portland was where Dwight and Deron would go. Wrong in that instance as well.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

At the end of the day, everything in the world comes down to results. However, with things that involve chance/probability/luck, you can only be results oriented in the very long run, while being completely process oriented in the short term.

This is true for poker, trading stocks, and running a pro sports team. Anything can happen in your next hand, next trade, or next maneuver. However, as long as the plan is correct and you stick with it, the results will produce an edge over pure luck in the long run. The question for us Rockets fans then is not "What have you done for me lately?" but rather, "Are we on the right track?" In the business of basketball, 2, 3 or even 5 years doesn't necessarily qualify as long term, so in my opinion it is still too soon to tell. To some, that might seem like a built in excuse for management, but it is also simply the truth. When you have basically 2 chances in an entire year to maneuver, it takes a long time to see real results.

Even though I cannot say for certain if the plan is correct since the results are not here yet, it gives me confidence that it was very smart people who produced the plan, smarter than anyone on this message board complaining, and smarter than myself. Smart people who are methodical and understand the key to any game of chance is not panicking and changing course just because of a blocked trade, or busted pick, or injury. You guys are going to hate this, but reality is it is simply going to take time.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Answer ONE QUESTION: How Long? How Long should we try this approach and 'be patient'? 5 more years? 10 more years? 20?

Simply tell he how many more years should we endure before we say . . .it isn't working!!!?!?!?!?
    I just need to know . .. I want a time frame.

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunnot if I agree
    but a Gasol/Nene front line would not have made us contenders
    not without another major move

Rocket River

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Orlando just got a new GM
    They more than likely about to lose Dwight Howard

QUESTION: In 3 yrs will they be better than the Rockets?
    What about 5?

We will see . . . . .

Rocket River

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We have already answered that question yes a few times with other teams like Denver and Utah who lost stars rebuilt faster. But??? I guess yet ANOTHER team will be added to the list before Morey is fired.

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Morey's problem is that he is thinking like a forum member and always building toward making a big move.

They moved Landry think Martin, Scola and Yao would be enough. Except without Yao, we had no other player with decent post moves, turning us into a jump shooting (and I hate to say it but free throw craving) team.

We got great depth within the PG position under Morey's tenure but the inability to stay loyal has it that Lowry (who previously a benefit of this) seeing the coaching staff have more success with Dragic and them wanting to retain him, made the public move of requesting a trade.

Not to mention failed acquisitions like Miller, Ariza, trades that brought over Dorsey, Terrance Williams and others that were supposed to set up deals that never went through. I don't blame everything on Morey but these are mistakes I do hope, he and the front office recognize and are looking to avoid in the future.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

The overwhelming majority want a move for the future. No more micro transactions or moves sideways. Thats what they want. its pretty simple. Get something done or allow another GM in here who can get something done.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

No it really isn't.. because that means you are the one controlling your business. It colors how you percieve everything else.

The story of the #8 pick isn't in a transcript, is it? If so, could you lead me to those. My understanding is that it's hearsay. But that trade didn't exactly work out in the long run because the premise behind it was undermined by the early loss of yao and tmac.

And I don't think anyone believes that les doesn't want to get better players.. he just doesn't want to have to lose 70 games to get those better players.

GMs are hired by owners... that's the bottom line. They are then required to listen to them, since they are the boss.

In this area we agree. I don't think he's job scared, but I do think he takes the parameters given to him and works within them.