1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought About Intelligent Life in the Universe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigBird, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Like Robotech Macross?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*shrug*
    Possibly I guess

Seems alot like we ok . . . waiting for aliens to come to us . .

Rocket River

3. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

If that is where the future is headed I'm gonna invest a helluva lot in Bethesda. However, I think you're wrong. Of course we have more control creating things ourselves...but it's the unknown that drives us.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hope so . .. but i dunno.
    Seems like we have a strong rise in laziness LOL
    Couch Potatoes.

I think there will be some that want to roam . . .. but a majority
    won't . .. . hell when I see us cutting funding for NASA
    I think the majority is ok with the few roaming. . BUT NOT ON MY DIME!!!
    and this may stifle the ability to roam the universe.

Rocket River

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No. :eek:

Would it be really a Universe if it's created by HUMANS?

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We would be GODs . . .
    Ever seen a movie call the "13th Floor" . . I think it was called

Rocket River

7. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

My replies are in bold.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Um, how about no. Christian comes from the Greek christianos, meaning followers of Christ. The Greek root word christos meaning anointed one. It was a translation of the Hebrew word messiah, meaning one who is to be anointed. One theory of the etymology of the word cretin is that it was derived from the French for Christian, but that would be the opposite of the basis for your theory.

9. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I'd say at best they set it up as a double entendre. The "anointing" being referenced, if I'm not mistaken, is to the application of a substance such as oil to the skin, not the "anointed one."

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

No, it was clearly a reference to the messiah of the Jewish religion. The whole idea of Christianity is that Jesus was the fulfillment of the old testament prophecy. The fact that the prophecy called the savior messiah and the direct translation is anointed one is the origin of the word Christ and thus Christian. The fact that over a thousand years later the word cretin developed does not retroactively mean that the word Christian was originally intended to have that meaning, it is just an odd evolution of language.

11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Read this:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/essenes/chrestos christos.htm

Like I said, it's the same as it's always been with The Powers That Be. They give you one meaning that sounds sensible for the masses (for example, Columbia rooting from Columbus and not Venus Columba as is really the case) but hold the the true meaning back for themselves and for us few on the fringes who can actually see through their bogus explanations.

As I said, Christianity was set up by them to control the way people view religion and never have them advance in their spirituality. It's like being in second grade all of your life while reading the same textbook over and over. You memorize that book and it is for the most part true with a few contradictions and errors perhaps but the point is that by staying in second grade you never advance to a higher understanding, third grade and above.

I don't claim to know everything about theology despite how arrogant I may sound but I know enough to know that Christianity (and major religions in general) were created/molded as mind control for the masses while they keep the true knowledge to themselves.

12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Columbia as a godess like representation of the new world (and the early United Stated) was quite common 100+ years ago. It is based off of Christopher Columbus' name. It has gone out of common use which is probably why it is misunderstood now. It has nothing to do with the occult circles, whatever that means. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)

13. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

It goes back far longer than 100+ years ago. For example, Venus Columba (Venus the Dove) was worshiped by the Romans. As you know, Venus is a Roman goddess and Columba was an aspect of her. In a way it's also a representation of the Holy Ghost because as you likely know the dove represents the HG though it's symbolism goes back further.

http://www.wisdomportal.com/Columba/ColumbusDoveAmerica.html

So like I said, one explanation for the masses and then there' s a true, occult (or in other words, hidden) explanation.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BACK ON TOPIC: Intelligent life is out there
    It is a question of who finds who first
    Based on OUR HISTORY . . . better to be the FINDER than the FOUND

Rocket River

15. Cognosium

Cognosium New Member

A very good case can be made for the presumption that, whatever the time-scale, humankind will never encounter extra-terrestrial "intelligent" (I prefer the neologism "Imaginatory" ) life.

Simply because, should we manage to escape (or at least postpone) extinction, the next, non-biological, phase of "life" could well prohibit contacts of this kind between more primitive organisms such as we..

This kind of cosmic censorship provides one possible explanation for the Fermi paradox.

And it is consistent with the pattern of autonomous evolution of technology that is so evident today.
    Very real evidence indicates the rather imminent implementation of the next, (non-biological) phase of the on-going evolutionary “life” process from what we at present call the Internet.It is effectively evolving by a process of self-assembly. You may have noticed that we are increasingly, in a sense, “enslaved” by our PCs, mobile phones, their apps and many other trappings of the net.

We are already largely dependent upon it for our commerce and industry and there is no turning back. What we perceive as a tool is well on its way to becoming an agent.

Consider this:

There are at present an estimated 2 Billion Internet users. There are an estimated 13 Billion neurons in the human brain. On this basis for approximation the Internet is even now only one order of magnitude below the human brain and its growth is exponential.
    That is a simplification, of course. For example: Not all users have their own computer. So perhaps we could reduce that, say, tenfold. The number of switching units, transistors, if you wish, contained by all the computers connecting to the Internet and which are more analogous to individual neurons is many orders of magnitude greater than 2 Billion. Then again, this is compensated for to some extent by the fact that neurons do not appear to be binary switching devices but can adopt multiple states.

Without even crunching the numbers, we see that we must take seriously the possibility that even the present Internet may well be comparable to a human brain in processing power.
    And, of course, the degree of interconnection and cross-linking of networks within networks is also growing rapidly.The culmination of this exponential growth corresponds to the event that transhumanists inappropriately call “The Singularity” but is more properly regarded as a phase transition of the on-going “life” process.
    The emergence of a new and predominant cognitive entity that is a logical consequence of the evolutionary continuum that can be traced back at least as far as the formation of the chemical elements in stars.

The broad evolutionary model that supports this contention is outlined very informally in “The Goldilocks Effect: What Has Serendipity Ever Done For Us?”, a free download in e-book formats from the “Unusual Perspectives” website.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We are all just simulations on a giant computer.

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member