1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought About Intelligent Life in the Universe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigBird, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The assumpting is based on the idea of them visiting us . ..
    if they made it to us. . . before we make it to them ., . .then we would assume they are more advanced .

What if we extend our lifetems . . . . to a point we could live long enough to make the trip???? ;)

I know we would never do that . . cause of overpopulation
    So never expect anything to extend your life too too much . . .
    it is just not capitalistically sound

The Medical profession will never cure another ailment because it is financially iladvised.
    Why cure aids at a 100$ a pop . . . when you can get 10$ a pop/ 12 months a year/ for the life of the person . . . .
    MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY !!

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can drive a car . . . Socrates probably couldn't
    Does that make me smarter than Socrates?

No . . I means I have access to more advance technology
    and there is no reason to beleive that Socrates could not learn to drive
    anymore
    than it would be crazy to think that were would be unable to learn the Light Years traversing technology of our alien friends

More technologically advanced <> smarter

Rocket River

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Unless we just can't grasp the concept of that Light Years traversing technology. Similar to how you can't teach an ape to fly the Space Shuttle, perhaps we can't learn how they do their travels. It might not be as simple as stepping onto some Light Year traveling shuttle. Perhaps we have to understand the 4th dimension so we can fold space-time. But we just don't grasp that.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

YET!

Rocket River
    WE CAN BE TAUGHT!!

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

So you assume a chimpanzee can one day be taught to fly up and fix the Hubble Telescope?

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You never say never, Chimps could evolve into GASP Planet of the Apes!:grin:

7. Pete the Cheat

don't under-estimate yourself there buddy haha

I will concede what you said might be true...but you are looking at a window of a couple thousand years. If a space shuttle moves at rougly 17,500mph it would take over 15 million years to reach the nearest star to our solar system.

if you want to be conservative and say humans began evolving from apes roughly 8 million years ago that is twice as long as the dawn of human existence.
    so instead of Socrates the comparison would really be a chimp or something out of the Miocene.

And that comparison is based on just the closest star, the closest inhabitable planet is 20 light years away...so we can just keep on extrapolating the posibilties.

so yea I would give the interstellar slobs the evolutionary benefit of the doubt if they made it to our backyard

8. Nero

Nero Member

[​IMG]

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If I want several mind blowings I'll just go to your mom's house.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand . . ..
    but I saw something talking about humanity and SPEED
    How at the beginning of the last century . . .we could barely go 40 MPHs
    By the end. . . we were hitting MACH something or other.

Basically if we make a similar lead over this century . . . . . . maybe. . . light years is not out of the question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocket River

"I AM A FAN OF MAN!"
    - [​IMG]

11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Or perhaps it goes against the indoctrination you've been programmed with since you were born.

For example, reading your textbooks when you were growing up or if you still are in school, did you ever wonder where/what the sources are and if what your were reading was actually true instead of just taking it all as gospel? Doesn't every story have at least two sides? And no two people will tell the same exact story even if it's real close so where are the differing views? School often times becomes an exercise in regurgitating what you were programmed to learn, not necessarily trying to critically think and analyze what you you were taught.

As someone who loves to research in their spare time, I can with confidence say there is a lot that is out of sight and therefore out of mind to the average, hard-working person who when they do get some spare time sits back and does nothing but watch the game, "Dancing With the Stars," parties, does drugs, SEX, exercises or does anything else but actually think about the world beyond being entertained.

It's actually quite hilarious what people take for granted as common knowledge that is either flat out wrong or is hardly what it seems on the surface. For example, many think that "Columbia" is a reference to Christopher Columbus (never mind him, that's another subject) when in reality it's a reference to Venus Columba, who in occult circles is a revered figure in the symbology of the United States (as seen on the Columbia Pictures logo, Statue of Liberty and the Manifest Destiny painting in the spoiler).

[​IMG]

:eek:

And yet people get so confident about what they believe to the point of arrogance.

But then, deep thinkers in general let alone CT'ists get accused of thinking too much about things when it either doesn't make sense on the surface or someone gets so lost by the conversation that they can't follow. Go figure.

Conspiracy theory is like a pool for an elementary swimmer. You can't really jump in the deep end right away or you won't be able to stay afloat (e.g. swim) in the countless flow of ideas and realm of thought you're not used to being engaged in. You either jump in on the shallow end or slowly get your feet and legs wet before working your way into the pool.

1 person likes this.
  12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Nah, school, what's that? I weave baskets for a living...:rolleyes:
    Keep hitting the bong and researching man...good times, good times...

Not sure if you caught the "moon is really an alien spaceship" conspiracy theory thread that BigBird started...please tell me what research you would do to confirm that. Probably 90% of the 'reasons' it could be are completely bogus and easily found to be blantantly false and ignorant with a google search. Are you saying that my school has programmed me to not believe it and the moon probably IS a spaceship? Lemme guess...you and BB aren't part of the system!!!! maaaaaannnnn!!! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

#52 Severe Rockets Fan, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Ok, so hit us with the top 10.

14. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

On stuff I can't actually confirm or say with any certainty (like that, which David Icke also said about the moon), I just take with a grain of salt. But if you get enough grains of salt, you get enough to fill up an entire salt shaker and then eventually enough to fill a whole factory. Or using another analogy, it's just one puzzle piece in the quest to build an entire picture.

I'd caution the whole Google point. This is a two way street of thought. Just as a conspiracy theorist who wants to find whatever fits into their way of thinking (and I'm guilty as charged sometimes) can easily search for whatever they want, it's also true of people who easily dismiss whatever they hear because it doesn't seem right. When you feel strongly about something, naturally you'll want to find something to support it to avoid the embarrassment of realizing you were wrong, though most are too cowardly to even admit to such.

Finally, my whole point on indoctrination in school (which is hardly the only form of it) is that you don't know what is right or wrong at a young age both morally and in relation to the truth about life, the world, reality, etc... So naturally, in addition to whatever your parents steer you into believing and becoming accustomed to doing, as well as through close friends and the media, your whole frame of mind is slowly formed and whatever someone who seems more intelligent than you or at the very least confident in what they believe says, especially if you have no expertise in an area, you'll fall in line with.

For example, my car, after having been fixed twice, was ruined because I followed some bad advice from a family friend I was driving around one day as I did what I could to maintain my fragile car and it was all because I didn't have much expertise in car maintenance. I didn't follow the advice of my granddad, a mechanic virtually his entire life, and it cost me because I was still learning the ropes as far as cars go and followed the advice of someone who sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

The point is that it's important to keep thinking about all aspects of life and the world and not just within the comfort zone of what you were taught, what you think you know and/or how people will respond to what you think (i.e. scorn and rejection in some cases).

15. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Hey now...that subject is fascinating to some people. yeah it was just some random article I stumbled upon, but I used it as more of a jumping off point to discuss the subject. I don't know much about the subject (nor do I claim to) but I figured it was worth posting about to see what other people thought. As for it being a "spaceship" that was more of an attention grabber than anything IMO. I'm just wondering what the hell it is, and how it came to be. Things of that nature.

As for the idea brought up by Dr. Tyson, it definitely is thought provoking just about the possibilities existent within the universe. There surely is other intelligence life in some form or fashion - the universe is so astronomically large that the odds are in favor of this, and the thought that we could possibly pale so much intellectually in comparison is fascinating.

16. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Bear with me, this post will be long. Also, a top 10 is hard to say but as requested I can give ten (though five for now since I have to run):

-Christianity is a faith I believe was set up to keep people in spiritual darkness and in almost complete mind control. There is no better sign of this than the origin of the word Christian. I in no way find it to be coincidence that the word stems from the word cretin. In modern times, we basically know it to mean idiot or at the very nicest to mean incompetent but it was a reference to people who were born with a severe thyroid condition that stunted growth and also caused mental r****dation.
    This is why in some dictionaries the definition is “r****ded, an idiot. Literally a Christian. A deformed idiot that is nonetheless human.” I realize many of you, atheist and agnostic alike, will have a field day with that from here on out but you, just like Christians do with the next few points, have to somehow convince yourself that the definition and origin is a coincidence. In other words, you'll have to think the people who do wish to keep us in spiritual darkness didn’t purposefully use that word to describe the followers of the false religion they created to mentally enslave people.

-I’ll keep this one short and simple. First, I know pretty much all Christians realize the pagan origins of the religion but they don’t realize that the basic fabric of it is pretty much all is pagan or the retelling of another story from older civilizations. Take the Latin Cross for example. Some don’t know the alternate meanings of it beyond the obvious (e.g. The Crucifixion) but they are listed on this page (with a couple not listed that I personally know of):

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/latin.html

-Amen, said at the end of of prayers, does not mean “so be it” as many are taught but instead is a reference to the Ancient Egyptian god Amen-Ra.

-While on symbology, the Swaztika literally means “to be good.” The Nazis hijacked and poisoned this ancient symbol, used it negatively and, at least in the West, forever tarnished it’s true meaning.

http://reclaimtheswastika.com/

-Jihad DOES NOT mean holy war, as was reported shortly after 9/11. It means more something along the lines of a spiritual struggle though war fits under the umbrella. This goes back to what I said about indoctrination and how the media (or schooling, parents at a young age, etc…) can tell people whatever they want and it will usually stick without people questioning it too much.

That’s all I have for now, I’ll post more later. I’m not trying act like I’m smarter than people or anything like that more so than just trying educate and also just shake my head at the arrogance people get about what they believe because it’s what they’ve always believed.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

But this is what Tyson is arguing against, I think. You're saying "imagine what the probability is" based upon human limitations - time limitations, speed limitations, space limitations, etc. What if one lifeform somehow discovered a way to travel through space and/or time so easily that spacial vicinity and timeframes don't matter. We'd be the apes, and they'd be "the 1% better". It's like us remotely even thinking about traveling to the moon as being realistic just 100-150 years ago.

18. Severe Rockets Fan

"Take with a grain of salt"? Hmmm, you were pretty quick to tell me, "Or perhaps it goes against the indoctrination you've been programmed with since you were born.", once I said that what I did about the ridiculous conspiracy theories...I was focusing it directly to bigbird because of his moon thread. So you mean some of them may not be true(get outta town)? Cmon man, what happened to your open mind? :grin:

Google isn't 100%? Gotcha.

It's funny if you look back at some of my posts you'll see where you are saying some of the exact things as I have previously...well except for the fortune cookie stories and advice...it's kind of corny. Salt in a salt shaker, pieces in a puzzle, story of fixing my car...cmon man, enough....

Actually I'm still hoping you and your great research knowledge would answer Icehouse's question. What do you know that most people are just so very ignorant about? I'm sure everyone would like an education lesson man!

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Based on what, precisely? Didn't it take about 4 or 5 billion years worth of fortuitous temperature, climate and chemical reactions?

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Cmon BigB, you wanted to see what others 'thought' about it? I hope the response of mostly joking posts told you.

If you really wanted to know how the moon came to be, you could follow Caltex's advice and maybe research it if you are genuinely interested, but something tells me that's not your true intention...

To me, from geology, I thought the current theory is it is part of the Earth that broke off during a collision and became our satellite...it's chemical composition and density isn't going to be the same as Earth because it's only part of it. It's going to be much lighter because it's composed of more crust and mantle than inner/outer core 'stuff'. That easily explains the low density of the moon compared to Earth which the paper states "may indicate it is 'hollow'(wtf?)" That's just off the top of my head, I think someone said there were other theories, but from what I remember this one is the most plausible.

Now this thread, like I said earlier, I appreciated...I saw Dr. Tyson when he came to UoH last year...great speaker and very intelligent fellow. Although when he came to UoH I thought he got too much in the NASA discussion and hoped he would talk about other subjects...but all in all it was very enlightening.