1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A&E to air Reality Show based on KKK families

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

So we finally get to see into the 'real' lives of BigTekkk, Dei, and others on this board. Can you guys indicate who you are on the show by any chance?

I think the show should cover all the White Nationalist groups not just ones that indicate themselves as KKK.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A personality on any of their other shows would probably be fired for stating Klan views, so seems a little disingenuous. But it's free speech in a free market.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Should be a HIT with Trump voters.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yet some people felt the "need" to elect a reality TV "star" of a totally worthless program our next President.

Nook likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh we know the routine. People like him denounce it on here and in public, just like Trump, but then they go vote for him and I bet he watches this show with his buds popping bears "laughing at them" ya know.

Reason I think it's good to air because you know what, these KKK folks aren't all that different than most people. Most racists are pretty normal on the surface. I know that because I grew up in the south around many of these types of people. And as a minority, I think it's great that finally racists get exposed a bit on TV. I'm sure that's scary for people like Space Ghost to see how similar these KKK folks are to a whole lotta other people who aren't in the KKK.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Boohoo. Let me take the anonymity of the internet message board and remind everyone I am a minority who has been victimized.

I have lived all over the south all my life. I have seen all sorts. I also know people in the south are some of the nicest people, unlike those in the north east. I also know bigoted people live all over America and they are not just white. I also know the discontent we see time to time in America pales in comparison to other regions of the world.

Do you think its ok for network TV to exploit children like Honey Boo Boo and fat shame her family? Or shows like Teen Mom? Do you realize these bigoted people will get paid money simply because of their views and for appearing on TV? Oh yes, lets repeat that. Sweet Lou is perfectly fine for paying bigoted people to get on TV to validate and express their views. I have little doubt you will watch, despite you claiming you already know all about them.

You do realize this show will do nothing but validate their cause? You do realize the network is exploiting the racial flareup in our country for monetary cause? I am not surprised you are perfectly fine with this exploitation. This show is not for educational purposes. Its for pure entertainment and business.

Add this to the list of topics you are consistently wrong about.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You're a minority and you write what you write on here???? What happened to you to? How were you victimized? I ask that sincerely.

I disagree with the notion this will do nothing but give them a platform to validate their views. First of all this isn't reality TV, it's a documentary series - there's a big difference.

Yes their views will be aired, but in a context controlled by others. There will be people who will agree with them - but that's because they had agreed with them before. No new racists will be made from this series.

8. Buck Turgidson

Right? There have been documentaries and news segments on all kinds of unsavory people for years - neo-nazis, the mafia, drug cartels, terrorists, conspiracy theorists, Cliven Bundy-type idiots, white supremacists, Mavericks fans - this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that it is giving them a platform to legitimize their views.

It really all boils down to how the producers and the network handle it.

Nook likes this.
  9. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's what they are real trump supporters at there best.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^This^^

I really hope more than anything, that it starts a realistic dialogue about the movement.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure what "movement" you're talking about or what kind of "dialogue" you want to have with them, but I will guarantee that it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I always like to know when there is an idiot in the room... These guys are going to raise their hands and say "yup, that's me".... less idiots to identify... except I definitely will not be watching.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And scene...

A&E Cancels KKK Docuseries

Apparently, the show was actually supposed to be about people "extracting" Klan members from their hatred and from the KKK. They allegedly changed the title to "Escaping the KKK".

No Worries likes this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm disappointed. I tend to find these types of things interesting. We need to understand hate.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I agree.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder which race has the most "extremely racist" people in America these days?

17. leroy

I don't think there was a way they could do it without making them seem like people you should sympathize with. A documentary film? Ok. 2 hours and you get out of there. But making this a series where they're following these people around and making them (albeit unintentional) people worthy of sympathy is not cool. These people are the scum of the earth and they don't deserve sympathy or an outlet for recruitment.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Who knows how the show would have gone. A docu-series is just a longer more in depth look. I suppose what would have separated this show is that it would have been with current active members. I certainly wouldn't want people to sympathize with them, and an outlet for recruitment would be the worst possible scenario. I don't think it would have been that. The disadvantage in my view is that it would have put money in the pockets of people who certainly don't deserve any, as I doubt they were unpaid for their participation.

19. leroy

In the article I posted, it mentions one of the main reasons for cancelling it was because the producers were paying people.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I understand hate. My local city park in Southeast Houston growing up, Reveille Park, had a swimming pool. Perhaps it still does. I haven't been there in ages. The bathrooms were segregated. The pool had a sign, also with the "facilities," that said "WHITES ONLY." From 1964 to 1974, Herman Short was police chief of HPD. Short was both a racist and a card carrying member of the KKK. During his tenure, HPD was chronically understaffed in part because Short was only interested in like minded men applying. Weren't "like minded?" You didn't get the job. Over and over again, and not just during his tenure, Blacks and Hispanics were murdered while in police custody. It was very common for officers to have a "clean" pistol in their trunk "just in case" they killed a minority in custody. This kind of behavior didn't begin to be reformed until a White teenager was stopped on the Gulf Freeway in Southeast Houston at night, and shot during a routine traffic stop, with one of those "clean" pistols placed by his body. His parents raised hell. Enough that change finally began.

I understand hate. I don't need to see a stupid show like the one described here to "understand" it. For most of you that haven't experienced the era I experienced, I suggest reading some history. Heck, history about Houston and race. You don't need a TV show like this to understand racism and organized hate. There is plenty of evidence out there just waiting to be discovered by anyone who's interested.