1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Craig Biggio hypothetical.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Zac D, Jun 13, 2007.

1. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Quick story about why Biggio is, and always will be, my favorite player:

About 16-17 years ago, a buddy of mine had a birthday party in which his wealthy aunt was able to attain(through an auction) a lunch with Biggio and Caminiti. There were about 20 of us little 10-11 year olds that had the pleasure of this rare experience of breaking bread with a couple local sports stars. Not trying to come down on Caminiti, but he was a complete prick who sat at the end of the table(obviously nursing a hangover) and let his wife answer the questions out of our star struck mouths.

Biggio, on the other hand, sat right in the middle of the table so that he was able to interact with everybody. No topic was too good for Bidge to discuss. Being the goat that I am, I engaged him into a "whats your favorite nintendo game" topic, and we discussed nintendo for about 15 minutes. If I remember correctly, Bidge was a big fan of 'RBI baseball', while I said 'RC pro-am'(if I could go back I would have agreed that RBI was my favorite also....boy did I screw that up...anyhoo).

Noticing that Cammy was being a complete prick, Bidge was constantly trying to get him involved with some of the conversation. SAMPLE:

me-(in a whiny, girly, pre-pubescant voice) " I like RC pro-am!"

Bidge-(in an interested fatherly tone) " Oh really? You know Ken likes to race real RC cars, dont you Ken?

Cammy-(raises head from hands, seemingly fighting back puke) " Yeah, I do" (lowers head back into hands)

After lunch, Bidge spent as much time as it took to sign as many things as we wanted, while Cammy reluctantly signed one card per kid.

The point is, Biggio could have just showed up and gone through the motions in the same manner as Caminiti, but he did not. He actually gave a **** and realized that he was a role model and acted like one.

I would say that Biggio is the reason that I can never turn my back on the Astros. Solely because he is MR. ASTRO.

So when someone asks a question " Why is 3000 hits so important to a franchise?", the answer is easy-

"BECAUSE IT IS BIGGIO, YOU *&^%ing #$%hole"

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Awesome. Buck should post his story about one of his friend's kids and a surprise visit by Biggio.

The guy personifies class. We're lucky that he's a lifelong Astro.

3. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

well, if ever there was a single point i made on this subject that was left unvalidated....

thank you oh so much for that post, sir. i don't think i could have written a more satisfying response that i'd like to see come out of any of your mouths myself.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You never answered bobrek's question.

But congrats, you've managed to become the biggest joke of a poster I've seen here in my 8+ years.

5. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

I'm just a rookie - but I doubt I'll ever see a bigger one in my day.

Just get out of here, you're not wanted.

6. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

funny response coming from the person who never answered mine.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It would just go in one ear and out the other. Like I said, if you don't understand what 3,000 hits for a player in MLB means, especially one that has spent his entire career with one franchise (not to mention being the class act he is), then it can't be explained.

If you're referring to your moronic question about him playing until 2011 to get the doubles record, I didn't answer it because it's moronic question. No one ever has advocated that.

8. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

are ya sure? because for somebody who claims to not care what i have to say, your posts sure seem to indicate otherwise! if you really aren't interested in my takes and opinions, the easy fix is to put me on ignore.

and i am referring to my moronic question. which you still don't seem to have answered.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i think you know the answer but this is part of your act. i just can't comprehend being an astros fan and disliking craig freaking biggio at the same time. that just doesn't make sense.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because no one has argued that. Not one person. It's never done. Biggio himself wouldn't argue that.

11. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

i'm not going to keep going in circles with you. for obvious reasons, you won't answer that question.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There is no circle. Your question is like me asking you if you would stop hating Biggio if he hit a HR in every single AB the rest of this season. It's. Not. Happening. No one is arguing that Biggio should stick around until for four more seasons to get the doubles record.

But if you want me to answer the question, no, I would not advocate that. Nor would I have advocated keeping him around for 3,000 had he been playing this poorly in 2003. A very small minority would have.

But let's say your absurd hypothetical did happen. Many Astros fans would be upset if he continued to play like he his now or worse. However, when the time came, I'd be damned excited and rooting him on like crazy. Biggio=Astro. There is no reason not to be excited about this milestone. None. At. All.

13. msn

msn Member

Are you sure? Because if such ridiculous absurdity were to play out in real life, the hammering it would get in the media, combined with the seasons of true futuility we'd witness while waiting out endless 100-, 90-, and eventually 75-hit seasons would pretty much ruin the whole thing, wouldn't it? People would be treating the "record" with almost the same level of disdain and vitriol that they are treating the Bonds record, but for different reason.

Yep--backing out of fantasyland to the present reality, that is exactly right.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think so, but you could be right.

15. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

well you're just plain wrong. i am in a select few here who, in their fandom, all they care about is winning. nothing else matters. biggio has been in a situation the past several years where he is clearly not even close to the best possible option for the job. never in my days of following sports have i seen a situation at all comparable to this, and it has caused me to severely disdain a once great player who at one time i respected. whether it's because of the owner, gm, manager, or player, an individual accomplishment has CLEARLY taken precedence over putting the best possible product on the field for the past several seasons of astros baseball. never in my life could i have ever foreseen or imagined something like this happening in team sports.

16. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

you are talking about the local media, right? because you wouldn't hear any mention of a player breaking the doubles record until maybe a quick mention while showing highlights on sportscenter the day it happened.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Since you mentioned "several seasons", does that mean you did not like the product that got to the NLCS in 2004 and the World Series in 2005?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The announcers of the opposing team have mentioned how far Biggio is up on the doubles chart in every road series I have watched on MLB.tv this season. They have also mentioned other stats he is way up there on.

19. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Has anyone ever seen Rocketfat and Chris Burke in the same place at the same time.

The difference in Biggio's production and any other second baseman on the Astros roster might be 4 games over a 162 game season.

We aren't 4 games from being a contender. Enjoy the ride gentlemen...Craig's ilk might be a long time from passing this way again.

20. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

lmao, ol' caminiti :D