1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Couple of Thoughts . . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Oct 2, 2000.

1. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

(1) First on Rudy T. Coaching is a lot more than putting Xs and Os together. Coaching is also melding players together (along with their egos) so that the team plays as one. I have always criticized Rudy's ability to develop and implement a coaching strategy. And I think that his failings in this regard were evident from the plays that the team was running.

My other criticism was that he doesn't manage his players well. His ability to motivate Dream and Clyde has always been suspect to me. I think that those two were self-motivated and once Clyde won his ring and Dream won his two rings the motivation simply was not there. Moreover, Rudy could not manage the personalities of Dream, Charles, and Clyde. But this was more difficult to prove -- until now.

I think that the so-called "Dream Team's" performance in the Olympics speaks for itself. It was a whole lot more of the one on one basketball that Rudy coaches with the Rockets. Of course the players love that style of basketball, it's like playing in the all-star game -- no defense or rebounding is required. Well we almost lost to Lithuania, the team looked awful the entire Olympics, and we were the worst sports in the Olympics. So much for Rudy's ability to coach players with big egos. He can't do it. Yes, he is good with young, no-name players. But the Rockets need more than that this year.

Rudy T. is a lousy coach. He is the wrong coach for a team without a dominant center. My only hope is that the Rockets recognize these weakneses before he screws up his young players even more.

(2) How well is Hakeem going to play this year? This is the big question. I would have thought that Hakeem was going to really put in the effort this year, to work hard during the offseason, to get his body ready for the grinding of the season. But all reports indicate that he has done nothing of the sort. In fact, the reports last week were that he still has to work out the physical problems that have plagued him for the past two years. So what does this mean for this year? I'll tell you, more of the same. The Rockets aren't going anywhere this season (including into the playoffs) if they don't get any production from the center position. Cato isn't going to get it done, he simply has little offensive talent, and I have doubts that Hakeem is going to play more than 15 minutes a night. Every time that Hakeem steps on the court right now, he tarnishes the reputation that he developed over his entire career. The fact that Ewing is a better player than Hakeem right now kills me. Hakeem should have gracefully retired last year. He definitely had the injuries that would have supported an exemption from the salary cap. But no, he wanted a last trip around the league. The so-called victory lap. The problem is that no one cares about Hakeem (no one outside of Houston that is). The applause will be polite, if at all. Hakeem simply did not have the personality of the other greats and while he was unquestionably the greatest player in the league (when Michael Jordan was "retired"), he didn't beat Michael one on one in the championship.

(3) Now outside of the Rudy and Hakeem problems, I am very impressed with what the Rockets are doing. I think that we have a very young and talented nucleus of players that eventually will form a very solid team. Picking up Mo Taylor was a tremendous move during the offseason (although it will remain to be seen whether he will be a Rocket for the long haul). The Rockets are very strong at the power forward with Kenny Thomas and Carlos Rogers as backups. The guards for the Rockets are also strong. I have mixed feelings about Cuttino. I think that he shoots too much and is too wild and undisciplined, but maybe that is what you need coming off the bench -- instant offense.

Again, the center position is a problem on the team and I have absolutely no faith in Walt Williams. I am hoping that Dan Langhi can fill that spot on the team.

(4) My prediction for this year, sadly, is that once again the Rockets do not make the playoffs. Cheer up -- Hakeem will finally retire, and we can finally finish the rebuilding process that should have started before last season when we didn't trade Hakeem because of "loyalty" issues.

------------------
    Maybe Pippen's problem last year was that he was spending too much time looking at Barkley's Butt -- Just a thought

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

A couple?

On your first point, do you also blame Rudy for the shameful potrayal of the so called "Professional Athlete." (Dream Team)when they talked smack to opponents, played dirty (Carter) and just had an all-around lack of class? Motivating these players was not Rudy's responsibility. For crying out loud, these bums were representing our country. If that isn't motivation enough, then they shouldn't have been on the team.

I love when people blame the coaches for a players performance. Rudy is one of, if not the, hardest working coach in the NBA. He does his homework and coaches the players on the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent. What a player does with this information is not up to Rudy. Besides, I think there were 2 other NBA head coaches assisting Rudy, so there is no excuse for these players not to be prepared for these games. And yet they were, go figure.
    ------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited October 02, 2000).]

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good to see you back tod. Great post. While I disagree with you on the Rudy T thing, at least you give reasons why you feel the way you do.

I believe that Rudy's best coaching was done last year, and that we will continue to see this team grow into a power in the next few years. I just don't think Rudy is a big superstar guy. The only one that really panned out in Houston was Dream, and that was because he was a Rocket his whole career, IMO.

I agree, unfortunately, with your assumption about Dream's farewell tour. I don't think it will be that well-received. Hopefully we'll be wrong.

I have my doubts about Taylor, more like cautious optimism. I don't want to get worked up about his potential, but whatever he does, outsided of killing chemistry, he's a steal at the 2.25 million exception.

I guess we can look forward to more of you, at least until spring training starts.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Been on haitus Tod??

Back to the same ole Rudy trashing I see.

I can't respond at the moment because I don't have the time, but let me ask you this, if Rudy is such a losey coach, who would you like to see head up the Rockets coaching staff???

I'll come back and respond to your post after work.

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited October 02, 2000).]

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I think you should have entitled this thread, "Rudy T sucks, two"

What I want to know, Tod, is this:

How do you now feel about Matt Maloney?

Okay, I'll stop picking now. Good to see you back.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

6. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Tod,
    Was it you that wrote an article about a week ago for Astrosconnection.com??? I think it was on the main page.

Something about the perspective of an Astros fan living in New York...

Thought provoking post. Do not agree with your comments regarding Rudy. I think you are dead on with your comments about Dreams victory lap. For the most part no one in the NBA will care about Dream retiring.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

It was the first time the Titans sent an offense to the line of scrimmage with Eddie George in the backfield behind McNair to go with Wycheck at tight end and Carl Pickens, Kevin Dyson and Yancey Thigpen at wide receiver.

So many choices, with a full season still ahead.

"I think that might be scary for a defense," Dyson said.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tod is back!!

great sign that the season is closely approaching. Now see why Smeggy and I were warning everyone to get into shape. The big voices are starting to return.

Hey Tod. Is that the best Rudy-bashing you can do, because I've been working out this summer for the sole purpose of giving Rudy-bashers their toughest season ever.

I recommend two-a-days, and lots of stretching exercises for October.

8. tod the bod

The quick answer to your questions is yes, I am back (although clearly not refreshed -- the dog of a season that the Astros had really wore me out).

I have lurked here most of the summer (I don't really follow college basketball, so I didn't have much to say about the draft). I see a lot of new faces (some of whom managed to accumulate thousands of posts during the summer) and I hope to get to know most of you by the end of the season.

I have been very critical about Rudy the past few seasons, but I have given him mulligan after mulligan because of the unexpected circumstances that have occurred each season.

But this is the year. There are no excuses this season. And I think that we will learn a lot about Rudy as a coach this season. If the Rockets stumble around because they have no cohesive offensive plan, that is because of Rudy's design. If the Rockets suck, a large part of the blame should be placed on Rudy's head.

As you can see from my post, my expectations for this season are not very great. If the Rockets make the playoffs (and that is a big if), I will be pleasantly surprised. I don't expect the Rockets to even play .500 ball. Consequently, I expect to really enjoy the season. And if the Rockets really suck, Rudy should be fired at the end of the season.

RocketsPimp, I don't have an answer for you as to who should coach the Rockets. And BobFinn, Rudy is not to blame for the fact that most of the players who went to the Olympics are assholes. But the Olympic team was not well coached. They had more talent than any other team there (by leaps and bounds), and they barely won the gold medal.
    It would be tremendous irony if the team coached by Rudy T. was the reason why US Basketball went back to using college players in the Olympic games. Let's just say US Basketball isn't going to be calling Rudy's number any time soon.

9. tod the bod

Sorry, a few more responses:

Pole, I still like Matt Maloney (although I am sorry that we are still paying him money). But what do you want this U of Penn. graduate to say. I can't even remember the last Penn player to make the NBA, much less start for the hometown team.

And Dream34, yes that was me at Astrosconnection.com. I will try my best to make the Knicks/Rockets game this year at the garden. Unfortunately, Knicks tickets are a lot harder to come by than Mets tickets. Plus, you really do get your ass kicked at the Garden if you cheer for the away team. I will certainly be at the Nets/Rockets game.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't this US Team the best rebounding team of the Olympics this year?

Now, I didn't watch all of the games, but I noticed a lot of missed free throws. I'm not sure if the goal or ball is different (balls seemed to bounce a lot different), but that's not something you can really "coach". You're a good free throw shooter or you're not. Part of it had to have been lack of practice/training. Whether Rudy is to blame for the other part is unknown. For the motivation, Francis unlike Hakeem CAN be the motivator. Hakeem lead by example, and wasn't too outwardly vocal. Francis, on the other hand is very vocal, and as he matures, I can see him getting on teammates for lack of concentration, and keeping everyone on their game. This season should be the test for Rudy's coaching ability.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Tod the Bod and Caveman sittin' in a tree...

Seriously, Dream and Clyde could have gone to the senior olympics at the times you complain of so adamantly.

Do explain more about your "Rudy sucks without a dominant center" theory. You do not have enough of a foundation to say such things IMHO.

------------------
    Don't anybody ever suggest again that we sign Tracy Murray to a deal.

[This message has been edited by Pass 1st, shoot 2nd (edited October 02, 2000).]

12. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Nice to see you, tod. I thought I was going to have to share that sub-.500 foxhole alone with HD.

------------------

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Did you watch a game last year after Hakeem/Barkley went down? The Rockets finished close to .500 after the inside-out offense was put to bed. And a lot of those games were with a front line of Matt Bullard, Pig Miller, and Walt Williams. The lineup that accounted for our best streak consisted of Francis, Anderson, Williams, Thomas, and Cato. NONE were proven NBA starters before this season. Rudy T I thought was a better candidate for Coach of the Year than Phil Jackass. And believe me, I have been a BIG critic of Rudy's in the past.

And Hakeem's reception will be great, I believe. People that are stubborn enough to still follow the NBA at this point, will appreciate Hakeem Olajuwon. I do think he should've retired a couple of years ago, but he will definitely be appreciated on his farewell run. To think that the Rockets need ANY production from the center spot to make the playoffs is like saying the Lakers won't make the playoffs without solid production from the power forward spot. And yes, Francis, Mobley, Anderson, and even RUDY, are THAT good.

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited October 02, 2000).]

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Tod- of course you haven't been posting, you haven't had any decent ammunition vs. Rudy until the Olympics.

It's funny that you don't expect the Rockets to play .500 when they played .500 ball already- from January 1 onward. Go take a look for yourself. And yes, that was without a dominant center. Hell, that was with Rogers, Bull and Pig playing stints at center.

The team adopted and began executing a completely new offensive system to the tune of .500 in the new millenium. Rudy has nothing to do with that? Did you watch any games last year? HP was right- you need a lot better ammo than this.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Tod, you are too hard on Rudy. The guy has coached the Rockets through good times and bad times. He helped motivate the '94 and '95 team in the face of elimination, more than once!! Your argument that he can't handle big name players doesn't hold water. He brought in Clyde in the middle of a season and they won a title. The next season Barkley came aboard and Rudy helped coach the team to within 1 game of the Finals. When Pippen came aboard, Rudy had to revamp the offense to be able to utilize him and the team never really mixed, but that happens sometimes. Now he has new players(aside from Hakeem) and a new approach to coaching the offense. Rudy now has players that can run the uptempo style of game just as well as the half court set. I'm not saying they are going to win 60 games or even make the playoffs, but I'd be willing to bet they finish at .500 or a little better.

I agree to an extent with what you said about the Hakeem situation. It's hard to hear that he hasn't done anything to prepare himself, but I think we all knew that maybe there was nothing he could do. Hindered breathing isn't like a broken ankle or torn ACL. When a problem like that comes along, it's never a small "injury". I think we all had a notion in the back of our heads that there was a chance he may not play much this season. Yes, it is sad, but Hakeem is a man and want's to go out on his terms. We can't fault him for that. Also, I don't give a rat's ass if the rest of the league doesn't care. Hakeem is our hero, our legend, and I know I am going to cheer my ass off every minute he plays this year because we don't know which one will be his last.

Also, the fact that our offense has shifted from primarliy a post up offense to more of a running offense makes production from the center position less important. In the past we relied on the center position as our strongest position for scoring, rebounding and defense. Now the point is our strongest scoring position and the power forward is now arguably our second strongest scoring position. Cato's rebounding and defense aren't on par with Hakeem, but I expect him and Taylor to be competitive in addition to the things that Shandon and Cuttino bring to the court. Don't forget that Kenny Thomas plays well off the bench, so he can pick up the rebounding with Walt/Langhi. This all goes back to Rudy changing the offense...the center is not the focal point anymore.

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hey Tod...i was a heavy Rudy-basher until pre-season last year. Keep an open mind. I did.

(Now was that a sincere olive branch, or one to just soften you up for the blind-side. Basketball, this is a complicated game isn't it...need lots of practice.)

17. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

If the Rockets improve as a team this year & are competitive (I think they will be), it'll say a lot about Rudy's coaching abilities. How many veteran coaches do you know of that totally change their offensive attacks as radically as the Rockets have? Most coaches would trade for or draft players that fit their coaching styles.

------------------

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Unlike cave turd, you tod are an excellent hoops fan. I just disagree totally. As I recall, these over paid millionaires said something to the effect, after spending their first meeting with RUdy T, "Man, I'd run through a brick wall for that guy". Sounds pretty motivated to me. Rudy can't run the plays and play defense for them, however. As they say, this year, the proof will be in the pudding. Last year as an aberation.

------------------