1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A couple of hypothetical trades I would like

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 26, 2005.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

1) David Wesley, Charlie Ward, Vin Baker, Moochie Norris for Antonio Davis

Not because I think Davis is worth the 13M owed this year, but because we would free a few roster spots, and add some veteran backup help for the frontcourt, while ridding ourselves of deadweight. Chicago might do this because their roster is not full and Wesley should be at least as valuable as Davis this season.

2) David Wesley + Charlie Ward for Al Harrington

Al Harrington is in the last year of his contract and it does not look like he will stay in Atlanta, so they might as well trade him now. We could throw in a 2nd round pick with this trade.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

1) I don't really like this deal. AD won't see any PT over JH or Deke. It does open up some roster spots, but for who are we actually opening them up for? I'd rather keep Wesley in case Sura or DA go down w/ an injury.

2) I personally think ATL could get a lot more for Harrington. Rumor is that Darko could be had for him, which isn't a bad deal. Darko hasn't shown jack, but the potential is still there (I think).

I think a Wesley/Ward for Eric Williams would be a great deal for both sides. Then bring in Baxter with the minimum.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

How about Wesley and somebody else for Darius Miles? Miles' BYC expires next week I believe. New coach and young team. I believe their future at the 3 is Travis Outlaw. Miles has been an attitude case, getting suspended last year for jacking around with Cheeks. Could Portland want to get rid of him for Wesley, and another expiring along with a pick or two?

If we would be interested in a 35 year old athlete with an attitude problem why wouldn't we be interested in a much younger, much more athletic swingman with an attitude???

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I would jump all over a trade for Darius Miles. And I think it could easily be done.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Miles would be an interesting addition. I would be very worried about his attitude and his 9M contract. I'm pretty sure you would see some mid-season b****ing about PT from Miles.

6. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

I would be in favor of any trade that brought us a servicable big to play the 4/5. He would need to be someone who didn't need playing time on a game to game basis but could come off the bench and contribute as needed or in the case of an injury, start.

At this point... if Swift/Howard or Yao/Deke go down with an injury... we will be hurting.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

With Barry's age and DA's injury history, David Wesley isn't nearly as expendable as some people think...

8. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

very good trade for Rockets.
    1) Davis is good backup for PF/C. And his contract is only one year left.
    2) A lot good thing about Miles: long arm, leaping skill, ball handling,run the floor very well. Only problem is his attitude.Can JVG change it?

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Miles makes 6.75 million this year. Of course, he will be making that 9 million pretty soon.

I've thought it would be good to add his youth, athleticism, defense; and Portland might not be averse to trading him. After last season, he added to the team's reputation for signing on bad boys.

Sura and one of our expiring-contract guards and maybe, if we must add it, a draft pick should do the trick.

You would have to admit; not too many people would get past Anderson and T-Mac and Miles and Swift and Yao.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Chi have added some free agent signings (Songaila + 2 others). They're waiting for Curry, Chandler, & Pargo to make it 15.

11. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

This lineup can put Rockets at the same defense level as Spurs:

DA/TMac/Miles/Swift/Yao

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

AD is okay. Not a bad deal but nothing to get excited over.

The Harrington deal I love. For him at sf I would move Tmac to sg. I would toss in a 1st rounder but I don't think atlanta would bite unless every team in the league low balls them for his services.

13. jopatmc

I'd like to know if anybody thinks Miles could play perimeter defense on the opposing 2's???

14. dharocks

I just don't like Miles as a starter here... His shooting is just way too bad. Remember, offensively the 2 and the 3 have very similar roles in our offense, and both NEED to be able to hit the three.

Miles has great athleticism, but he also has many, many holes in his game.

15. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Trade James...

16. jopatmc

Offensively, I wouldn't worry about Miles. The combination of him and TMac on the floor together at the 3 and 2 would be unstoppable. TMac plays the 2 offensively from the top. Miles plays the 3 offensively from the left knuckle down to the baseline extended and he would be able to post up and shoot over his defender at will. Miles can flat knock down the mid range jumper and is a mismatch against 3s. TMac is an obvious mismatch against all 2s and 3s.

It is defensively that I am worried about. He is extremely athletic. It would be nice if he was on this team if he could guard the 2 and let TMac guard the 3. Or it would be nice if he could guard the better offensive player and give TMac a break on the defensive end. We need a swingman that can take the tougher of the defensive matchups to help TMac conserve energy. I know he could guard the 3s under Van Gundy. Is he quick enough to take 2s like Kobe, Allen, etc?

17. dharocks

I really don't think he'd have any trouble defensively... He's just as good, if not better than Tayshaun Prince on the defensive end of the floor. He can guard anyone straight up, though he does occaisionally botch rotations.

What I worry about is his ability to play off the ball in a halfcourt set. He still looks lost at times when he doesn't have the ball in hands; he just stands around and watches. He's great in the open court and a pretty good slasher when he's allowed to create, but I just don't think he'd be a great fit for our offense...

18. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I know one thing, I've seen Miles play some of the best perimeter defense and all around defense on T-Mac. He would be a great addition to the Rockets.

19. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Agree. Also dont forget about Sura's injuries. Most likely Wesley, Anserson, and Sura will all miss some games. Thats why the current depth we have in the backcourt is great. If we trade Wesley (which iam ok with for the right player...preferably a backup 3) and Anderson goes down then suddenly you have Barry playing 30+ mins and Head being the backup. Thats not the ideal situation the Rockets what to bein especially if they want to win the division.

20. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

again, why do some people want darius miles???? seriously, the guy isn't going to do more than what he is already doing. if you want 11 ppg & 5 rpg out of your starting SF in about 30 min. then fine have him. he doesn't provide any D or outside shooting. i just had to chime in about miles. somehow despite him still putting up little to nothing with very little potential of growing as a player, people still think that he can be changed. it's not going to happen and i'd rather have david wesley and any other bum like baker or ward instead of him.