1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A/C Repair: Replacing the Coil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JaWindex, Jul 21, 2010.

1. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

So, yesterday I realized there was something wrong with our a/c when I read the temperature was 88 degrees in the house. A repairman came by today and told us the coil in the attic needs to be replaced. He quoted us almost $1800 to get the job done.

Anyone have experience with this? I've yet to get quotes from other companies but I did some looking online and prices varied from $700 to well over $2000.

Help me BBS!

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

does the fan come on and is the AC unit running on the outside?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can find a better deal, where are you located, which City?

DD

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

damn, same thing happened to my AC a couple years back.

How old is your unit?

You can fix it and replace the coil but the coil itself cost >$700 not to mention that if the coil fails your taking the risk that later on the whole unit will just die.

I ended up replacing mine for a 4 ton unit (originally a single ton for a 2500 Sq Ft. house) and it cost me $2000. If your unit is older and small you should just bite the bullet and get it over with.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This is good advice especially considering the tax credits and possibly state rebates(I know GA still has theirs going on). I replaced the whole system when I needed some coil replaced since the outside unit was about 15 years old and the indoor was 30.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

just replaced entire system with Church Services..I'd recommend calling them.

7. JaWindex

The unit is running outside.

I'm in Houston near 288 south on the way to Pearland.

This house was built almost 6 years ago, so that's how old the unit is.

I'll look into Church Services. Man, summer sucks.

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

My dad owns an A/C company, and I have worked in the business some over the years since it's kind of a family thing. (my uncle owns a company as well)

Anyway, I called him up and asked because that sounded high to me, too. He said that to change out the evaporator coil in an attic, he would usually charge about $1200-1400, depending on how big it was (assuming 3-4 ton unit) and how difficult it is to get to, etc.

Anyway, if you're interested email me through the site and I can connect you with him.

:)

1 person likes this.
  9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

this happened in my house (~5 years old) recently. The builder grade coil was of very poor quality and they regularly begin failing at the 4 yr mark. I was provided the choice of replacing the coil with the same model of coil, or going with the factory recommended coil for the unit. Same coil was quoted at $1200. Upgraded coil was $1800.

10. JaWindex

Your dad just came by to check out the unit. There's a leak somewhere but since it's late in the day he wasn't able to finish inspecting it. He gave us some freon to get us through the night and mentioned the guy who came in the morning didn't even check to see where the leak was. Your dad was really helpful and nice. He didn't even charge us for the visit. I can't thank him, or you, enough.

This is why I love cf.net.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Awesome. Glad to be of service. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. trickywhiteguy

where about do you live over there? i live in the Lakes of Country Place at Mchard and 288... My father is a part owner of a commercial A/C company and i have been around it my entire life... if you are close i can swing by and let you know if it is a coil and if so see what we can do about pricing?

13. trickywhiteguy

sorry i didnt see this post before my previous one

14. JaWindex

It's cool. Though I don't know if I could trust you with a moniker like that. ;)

15. trickywhiteguy

lol yeah i really need to change that lol!

16. icrnk

icrnk Member

Do any of the two AC guys mention do inspections/maintenance? I will want to get my system inspected prior to winter to makes sure it's safe. I already had my system inspected last summer. I guess there is a summer and fall checkup for AC/Heat?

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So there was nothing wrong with the coil? That would be very good news.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Bad suggestion for moniker change: DcProWLer2.0

19. JaWindex

Not necessarily. He didn't have time to do a full inspection, but we'll know Saturday. What frightens me is that the first guy didn't mention anything about a leak or that we had almost no freon. He just said there was an obstruction in the coil and we needed a new one. Seems shady in retrospect.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( That's what she said.