1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

94/95 vs Current

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ross84, Jan 11, 2009.

?

Old school Rockets or our Current Guys??

Poll closed Jan 16, 2009.
  1. Old school all the way!!

142 vote(s)
    78.5%
  2. Out with the old in with the new

27 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Meh...about the same

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. langal

langal Contributing Member

so Yao = Rik Smits? or maybe less? Alton Lister?

Tim Duncan is sort of a cross over guy in the sense that he sort played against guys from both eras at or near their peaks. Yao doesn't get ripped apart from him and I don't think Duncan is inferior in anyway to Zo, Deke, Ewing, Robinson. Shaq and Hakeem? Yes - but not the others.

Would Yao be the second best center in the 90s? Definitely no. I think he would be in the Ewing, Zo category below Hakeem and Shaq. But his scoring numbers would probably be a bit better and he would have more dominant games against journeymen types. The type of 3 point shooting center (Mehmut Okur for example) wasn't as prevalent back then.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Flat out NO... Yao would be in the Rony Seikaly category...

Alonzo Mourning was a BEAST before he got sick and as much as I hate Ewing, he too would have given Yao fits... Like leebigez stated

3. langal

So a consensus top 20 player today is equal to Rony Seikaly?

Well Seikaly does have a super hot wife.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think during game 5 vs Boston when Ralph got ejected and the Summit crowded shouted "we want Ralph! we want Ralph!", it inspired the team to win. that was an awesome moment in Rockets history.

I miss the "Beat LA!" and "Beat Boston" chants.

5. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

You may not hear those for a while...at least we have the good old days to reminisce on.

6. T_Man

Hell... You got me on that one... :D

7. tinman

Supporting Member

We can start the "Beat Utah" chants!

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

WERD! 94/95 had too many weapons and EVERYONE HAD BALLS AND HEART.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I think you have brent and jon mixed up. that in itself made your whole argument flawed.

10. langal

seriously checkout "Elsa benitez" on google image or something. Rony was also some real estate developer. Dude is serious post-NBA success story.

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I was substitute teaching in SBISD today, and I played Game 6 of the 1994 NBA Finals for the students in my last period. They had independent study, and it's block scheduling, so they got pretty much the full game.

Here's the three things I impressed upon them:
    1.) Look how into the game the crowd is. They're not playing a new song every time up the floor. They're letting the screaming Summit crowd motivate the team. And EVERYONE cheered, lower bowl.

2.) Look at the quality of basketball that's being played. This is the best defensive team in history (Knicks), and look what these players are doing. Look how they're moving on a level beyond virtually any team today.

3.) Notice the lack of flopping. And notice the refs not calling stupid fouls just because someone fell down. Get up and keep playing, wuss.

So if your kid came home and mentioned I played a Rockets game at school... yeah, that was me.

12. T_Man

Well actually that's his Ex now... But dang she's nice...

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Our role guys played hard, we just need to learn how to finish.
    Brooks or Wafer should have shot the ball. I don't blame Yao.

here's a lesson from the old school:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8cjF1i0h78&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8cjF1i0h78&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>