1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

90s:Jordan Bulls vs Rockets, the facts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 28, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets 3W 1L
    Jordan held under 30pts 3 out of 4 times!

You can check these glorious facts here:
    http://clutchfans.net/players/vernon_maxwell/
    Thanks Clutch!

JANUARY 25, 1992 - ROAD: CHICAGO

Rockets 100 L
    Bulls 114 W

Player FG PTS
    Max 5 of 13 17
    Jordan 12 of 27 35

JANUARY 30, 1992 - HOME: HOUSTON, TX

Bulls 102 L
    Rockets 105 W

Player FG PTS
    Max 7 of 13 23
    Jordan 9 of 26 22

DECEMBER 11, 1992 - ROAD: CHICAGO

Rockets 110 W
    Bulls 96 L

Player FG PTS
    Max 8 of 14 19
    Jordan 11 of 23 26

JANUARY 28, 1993 - HOME: HOUSTON, TX

Bulls 83 L
    Rockets 94 W

Player FG PTS
    Max 6 of 11 18
    Jordan 12 of 27 26

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm going to verify my own thread. these are 100% FACTS.

#1 tinman, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I love it, I don't think people realize that we would have slaughtered the Bulls if play in those championships instead of Phoenix and Seattle. Seattle was our nemesis and gave us fits for years because kenny was scared of GP.

Jordan new that Hakeem would give Chicago as many buckets as he would give Houston. That left it up to Scottie vs. Horry (no way).

3. desertfire

desertfire Member

Guys, I hate as much as anyone those that try to discredit the Rocket championships because of Jordan's "retirement." My counter is that they don't know what would've happen, but neither do us Rocket fans. To say the Rockets would have slaughtered the Bulls is an indefensible position, which will not get any credibility outside of this forum.

I would like to believe that if anybody could've ruinedJordan's perfect finals record it would have been Hakeem. But I would have given the 95 Rockets a much better chance than the 94 Rockets, and of course there was no Max in the 95 playoffs. But the latter team was much more talented and Hakeem was even playing at a higher level. Horry was at the highest level of his career and Drexler was just plain driven. I would've liked their chances. Mad Max's 94 Rockets?...not so much.

David

4. tinman

Supporting Member

history showed later that Horry was the better teammate, clutch player, and champion than Pippen. Pippen couldnt lead his Blazers, and Horry kept hitting 'clutch' game winners.

true, we never played the bulls in the finals. but we did beat them 3-1 when they were beating everyone else up.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

That 94 team was special. The games in 92-93 were complete blowouts. The Rockets whipped them.

I'll take the frontline of Dream (MVP), Otis (All Star), Horry (athletic Horry, dunking Horry) over Cartright, Grant and Pippen.

Jordan got D-ed Up by Max. the facts can't be changed. He didnt score over 30pts that year on us. He was dropping OVER 32 on the rest of the league.

6. yaominn

yaominn Member

just curious, how about 97's team?

7. desertfire

desertfire Member

I guess it's okay to disagree between Rocket's fans, which championship team is better. I think the 95 team would've thumped the 94 team, personally. I agree that the Rockets were not the Bull's favorite matchup, but citing regular season stats won't go a long ways when trying to speculate about the championship series.

You could've (and people did) made just as convincing of a case as to why the Spurs would manhandle the Rockets in 95 conference finals. We see how that turned out.

Going back to 94 for a minute...I believe the Rockets would've beaten the Sonics had they played in the playoffs. This was obviously not true in the regular season, but the Sonics didn't have the heart and drive to be a champion (evidenced by their disaster against the Nuggets). That of course is not true of the Bulls.

I recently watched every game from that 94 series (I bought the DVD Clutch City set). They were a gutsy team, but I'm not convinced they were very talented. The only reason they beat the Knicks was because Hakeem was the best player on the floor (I'd say the rest of Knick's roster was better). That would not have been the case if MJ and the Bulls would've been there.

Again, I'm not saying the Rockets would've lost. I'm just saying that we will never know, regardless of some regular season stats.

David

8. desertfire

desertfire Member

That would've been a great matchup. It's just too bad Stockton stole our chance. I believe the Rockets would've won against the Bulls that year. 94...I don't think so. 95...would've been close. 97...I think we had the talent, but maybe we lost the drive at some point, because we should've been able to beat the Jazz. But we couldn't match up at point guard (sound familiar?). We no longer had Cassell. I can't even remember if we still had Smith or if we had Maloney, but I remember Stockton running all over the floor.

David

9. tinman

Supporting Member

That's why I only stated the facts. The facts were Jordan lost 3 games vs the Rockets in the 90s. There's no What ifs about that. Maxwell had great offense and defensive games, no denying that.

Fact: Rockets steam rolled over Utah Jazz (Malone/Stockton) 4-1,
    That Utah team (Malone/Stockton) went to the finals twice.

Fact: Horry has 6 championships with 3 different teams
    Fact: Pippen has zero outside Chicago

Fact: members of the 94 team ended winning more championships and proving that they were champions anywhere!
    -Mario Elie
    -Robert Horry

fact: Sam Cassell led teams to both Western and Eastern Conference finals
    fact: Sam Cassell was #2 in assists behind Jason Kidd one year
    fact: Thorpe and Cassell were all stars

fact: Kenny Smith won an Emmy for Tnt's Inside the NBA

fact: 1993-94 Rockets were talented champions (minus Dream, 7 more championships by teammates, plus 1 emmy award)

#9 tinman, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  10. Pocket Rockets

makes more sense this way

11. tinman

Supporting Member

12. dwc13

dwc13 Member

Championship Rule #1: No matter how good a team has looked during the regular season, the team still has to get to the Championship before it can compete for one. No Ifs, Ands, or Buts to this rule.

Championship Rule #2: If Team A doesn't play Team B in the Championship, it cannot be said with certainty that Team A would have defeated Team B (or vice versa) had they met in the Championship.

Championship Rule #3: Upsets happen. The favored team does not always win the Championship.

Championship Rule #4: Thou shalt not use thy name 'Cleveland' and the word 'Championship' in the same sentence, unless properly negated.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh the heart factor:
    out of a scale of 1 to 100:
    Dream:100
    Otis:100
    Sam:100
    Vernon:100
    Kenny:100
    Robert:100
    Mario:100

Bulls:
    Jordan:100
    Pippen:0

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Championship rule #5: nobody beats Jordan for a title. EVER

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Jordan accepts MVP trophy by himself: FACT

Dream:
    That same looking-out-for-family attitude was seen in his on-the-court demeanor, too. When he won the 1994 NBA MVP award, he called his teammates out on the floor to accept the trophy with him. Longtime Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson says, “Nobody had ever done something like that at that time.”
    [​IMG]

Gratitude to Teammates factor:
    Jordan: 50
    Dream: 100

16. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

HOMER!!!

regular season games don't count anything
    if you use that logic, i bet every championship team lost to some other team multiple times during a season
    if everyone starts claiming beating a champion during a regular season game means they woulda won the title, then there is no end to this thread
    go check the teams that beat miami last year
    i bet there are tons of them can claim they woulda slaughtered heat in the final
    wans't the mavs supposed to slaughter them as well? :rolleyes:

17. tinman

Supporting Member

wrong:
    Bulls under Jordan before 91:

1989-90 NBA 55-27 2nd, Central Division Lost East Conf Finals
    1988-89 NBA 47-35 5th, Central Division Lost East Conf Finals
    1987-88 NBA 50-32 2nd, Central Division Lost East Conf Semis
    1986-87 NBA 40-42 5th, Central Division Lost East Conf 1st Rd
    1985-86 NBA 30-52 4th, Central Division Lost East Conf 1st Rd
    1984-85 NBA 38-44 3rd, Central Division Lost East Conf 1st Rd

18. tinman

Supporting Member

FACT: YOU GUYS CANT READ

This THREAD IS CALLED: 90s:Jordan Bulls vs Rockets, the facts

I don't put what ifs in this thread, you guys are putting that crap down.
    Its like I'm Dream and you guys are DAVID ROBINSONs. You think I'm going one way, then I Dream Shake you.

Just drop some facts.

19. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Jesus Tinman just blew a coronary.

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I'm still pissed I never saw the lead in on NBC during the 1997 finals where it shows Drexler and Barkley losing each one time to Jordan than it shows Hakeem dominating than it shows all three of them together that would be pure gold.

F-You Stockton and F-You Malone for picking up Clyde er screning him during that shot.