1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9-year-old girl accidentally kills shooting instructor with Uzi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Aug 26, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I could understand teaching a kid how to use a hunting rifle but there is no reason for a anyone much less a kid to shoot an Uzi... Seriously who tf uses Uzis?

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

WTF is a 9 year old child shooting an Uzi for?

Only situation I could condone that is a zombie apocalypse.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

There's nothing wrong with a 9 year old using say, a .22 LR with adult supervision.

Also, from what I've read about this range, it was one of those idiotic "Shoot guns like Rambo" outfits as opposed to a proper outfit where you actually learn how to shoot a gun. Places like that should just be closed down.

4. i3artow i3aller

Listen I’m not one to get all political. I’m not some gun toting NRA member or some bleeding heart liberal who thinks we should roundup all of the guns in the world and throw them into the sun like Superman did with nuclear warheads in "A Quest For Peace".

But I will say that there is absolutely NO reason a nine year old girl should be at the gun range learning how to handle an automatic uzi. Under no circumstances is that reasonable. 2nd amendment doesn’t clear you to be a goddam r****d and give a 3rd grader a handheld machine gun. Most people don’t let their 9 year old drink juice out of an adult cup because they’re always spilling and clumsy. We’re gonna give her a ****ing UZI??? Obviously its a real tragedy but its easily one of the most avoidable tragedies I’ve ever seen.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Nine years old is not to young to learn the proper way to handle a gun and even limited supervised shooting. The problem is that a 9 year old doesn't need to be shooting an uzi, especially when the trainer apparently was not in proper position.

It is a terrible, senseless accident. However, I firmly believe teaching children to respect fire arms and introducing them to them at a young age prevents other senseless mistakes.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The shock blocked the pain. At the end he stops mid sentence and limps off in obvious pain.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It appears to me that the people making a big deal out of this are the people least likely to be in the same room as a gun.

Most people that spend time around guns realize that they can and will kill you if you don't respect them and they accept that.

As a corelary, go to Google News and search for "dog bite" or "bear mauling", and you'll find plenty of stories about idiots acting stupid and getting (literaly) bit in the @ss for it. Go to an ER and you'll see people come in with nails in their head from not showing sufficient respect for their nail gun.

But BBC doesn't make bear mauling or nail in head their lead story. They do when some dumbass does the same thing with a gun - especially an automatic weapon.

This is a sad story of idiocy, but every day, hundreds of lives are lost to sad cases of idiocy.

8. torocan

torocan Member

An unreal tragedy.

Children learning to shoot under supervised and controlled conditions is one thing, allowing a child that's 4' nothing and 60 lbs to handle a fully automatic fire arm at the age of 9 is sheer stupidity. I don't care how much training you have, at that age and size you don't have the mass, strength or co-ordination to handle a fully automatic firearm.

It's apparently okay to say that a kid can't get on a roller coaster unless they're a certain size, but for a firing range to hold those kind of standards on automatic weapons and heavy fire arms isn't?

There's a difference between being a supporter of 2nd amendment rights and supporting pure stupidity. This is one of those cases you need actual regulation, and that's because you can't trust human beings to protect the interests of a child under these circumstances.

1) Parents were okay with it
    2) Instructor was okay with it
    3) 9 year old can't be expected to know any better if 1 and 2 tell her it's okay

Heavy/high recoil weapons should be restricted by age/size/mass at public shooting ranges. At a minimum it should be restricted to bipod/tripod weapons that are bolted down/restricted in motion. In my view, that's completely reasonable. Let that 9 year old learn on a .22 or light rifle. Automatic weapons should be more like an automobile... 16 years of age or older and still parent/instructor supervised.

Most 9 year olds can't even be trusted not to spill their drinks in the car. Yet it's legal to let her fire a fully automatic weapon?

The whole reason we have laws is to specifically stop the 1% of idiots that are just, well, idiots...

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How many were 9 year old girls with the encouragement of their parents getting mauled by bears and shooting themselves with nail guns? I would guess not many. Frankly, social services should be out to visit these parents. This is nothing less than dangerous and reckless, extremely poor judgement on their part.

10. Major

Major Member

The difference is that the 9 yr old that gets mauled by a bear is not a danger to other innocent people. The 9 yr old with an Uzi is. Everyone has a right to be stupid - but when that stupidity puts other people in danger, they are going to be concerned. That's why gun stories are treated different than bear-mauling stories.

11. Bandwagoner

About 1 in 5 people who die from drowning are under 14. Two children under 14 die in drownings everyday. If you are dumb enough to leave a kid unsupervised in a pool and they die there are no criminal charges. If your 14 year old takes your gun out of a locked drawer and purposefully or accidentally shoots himself it is a felony for the parents.

I think we have enough laws and regulations against firearms and children. Thanks anyways.

12. Bandwagoner

The stupid person in this case is the dead person. Your comparison falls flat.

13. CometsWin

Jesus with your crusade against cars and pools rather than admitting a gun is a deadly weapon created for the purpose of lethality.

It's amusing how the gun aficionados go around bragging about how their finger is their safety and then claim when someone pulls a trigger and kills someone that it's an accident. How does that work?

14. Bandwagoner

It isn't an accident. It is negligent.

Why is it a crusade when they kill WAY more than guns and are more easily prevented. You are rallying against an object that is responsible for significantly less deaths. You specifically want blood from the parents, there is already a law in place.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

uhh Jesus is pro guns bro - dont you Christianity?

[​IMG]

16. CometsWin

You're far more interested in detracting from the death toll of gun use by creating false parallels to maintain a status quo rather than addressing the gun culture in this country and laws that allow these events to happen. It's completely ridiculous that anyone can purchase a gun from someone without a background check that includes mental health screening and evidence that they have the knowledge and training to use that gun safely. It's completely insane.

As for the behavior of parents, I think anyone should be investigated for behavior that puts their child in danger whether it's unsupervised time at a pool or letting them play with a chainsaw.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This gun crap does more harm than good. I don't give a **** about hunting or whatever stupid excuse the general public has for having guns.

1 person likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Except, of course, if you read the post I quoted in context. It was about gun articles in general vs other types of acts. When a 9 yr old kills someone else with an uzi, she's a danger to other people.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go to Google News and type in "dead child". Read every story. There are dozens of stories about children's parents leaving children locked in the car so they die from the heat. There are even stories about the sheer volume of stories of children being left to cook to death in a car by their parents. There are stories about parents not supervising children who decide to play in a refrigerator and suffocate to death. There is a story about a child whose parents let them play too close to a cliff at Yellowstone, and the kid fell 500+ feet to their death.

Seriously, go to Google News and type in "dead child", read all the horrific stories from the last month, and tell me this is so much more tragic or stupid than all of the stories so that you've never heard of this massive pile of children's corpses, while this needs to be lead story on the BBC. Murder suicides. Drownings. I couldn't list all the ways idiots' actions caused children to die. It would be tl; dr.

There were so many that I couldn't sort through more than the last month or so.

At least this child is alive, though mentally scarred.

#59 Ottomaton, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  20. Bandwagoner

Oh I thought you understood the 9 year old with the gun didn't own the gun and isn't exactly responsible for killing someone. Much like a bear or lion in captivity that kills someone. It is the person who allowed themselves to be in contact that is blamed. That was Ottomaton's argument. Perhaps you misunderstood.