1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[82 Games] Jeremy Lin - Statistical Look

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Jul 18, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think a lot of the reason Linsanity worked so well at its peak was because of Lin/Chandler pick and rolls.

If we DO get Dwight, let's keep in mind that what we're getting is essentially a very rich man's Tyson Chandler.

2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Tl;DR... But repped anyway. This is impressive.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Oh so you watch every players' every single possession and keep track? That's impressive.

4. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

no just a general sense on whos good and whos not is enough. Lin is gonna have his share of spectacular games but I dont anticipate it going over the stretch of 82 games while helping the rockets be successful. I dont think he'll be better than Dragic, Lowry or even touch Aaaron Brooks 09/10 season

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Woah. You are wrong in light of how well he worked with Melo and Amare. He worked well with Melo particularly under Woodson. They were playing some great basketball in those 7 games before he got injured. Lin played Combo guard in college so this notion that he cannot play off the ball is absurd. In fact because Melo is so ball dominant Lin played off the ball really well under Woodson and Melo played off the ball really well with Lin. In fact, Woodson ran 1-3 pnr between those two guys which one the knicks a few games in the 4th quarter. In regards to Amare, Stat was not healthy last year. He had absolutely no lift whatsoever. So a lot of the issues Lin had with Amare are Stats fault. Despite that in the 7 games under Woodson (before Lin and Amare were injured) with Lin running the point Stat was the leading scorer hands down and that was with Him playing with Lin. So this notion that he never got it going with Amare and Melo is wrong.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Oh so the "general sense" you developed watching a handful of his possessions is more valid than an all encompassing data?

Y'all complain of there not being enough of a sample size but the ultimate "small sample size" problem is the eye test.

Not necessarily criticizing you GreatOne1978, but the general dismissal of statistics from casual fans who claim they trust their eyes more than stats.

Here's what happens: guy watches four Knicks games and watches ~80 Jeremy Lin possessions and see him miss more when he's going left. Henceforth, he must not be able to go left. Concluding this after watching 80 possessions from the thousands of posessions Lin had last year. Where's the small sample size now?

I'm not specifically talking about the going left problem, I haven't seen that particular data but I know that it exists, but the arrogance that anyone can come to a definite conclusion because "I seen it with my own eyes" is just so asinine.

7. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

^ aren't you the one being arrogant? what a hypocrite. Im merely refuting your claims nothing more and you're popping off because it makes you feel some high. What a dumbass

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

And here I thought we were having a legitimate discussion. Tsk tsk.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

The number one thing that everyone has to remember is that he is only 23 going on 24. Since when is a 24yr old players first 25 games there best 25 games. A healthy dose of perspective needs to be applied when tossing out critiscm.

10. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Yet you coming to the conclusion that he definitely sucks in those same 20 games holds a lot of water....

....everyone is laughing at you.

11. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pXFSUof1FjQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But off course he is right handed, not many people are ambidextrous.
    I see him drilling dribbles with both hands and 2 balls etc, but still he's human....

12. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

And another
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wFPULhUiMGc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. bloop

bloop Member

Getting caught stealing posts is one thing but not even knowing what constitutes a "fact" is probably even more embarrassing

for example his first "fact" is

that's not a fact that's an opinion. and one easily countered by other opinions. here's what Bob Cousy said about what makes Lin as a basketball player

even posting an opinion as "fact" that makes you sound like you are just trying to get laughed at. Do you want me to dig up what Magic, Kenny the Jet Smith and other championship PGs have said about him? That's easy to do if the kid wants to be laughed at some more.

You mean these are baseless clueless claims that you have no statistical or visual evidence for but will claim based on your great personal weight on this board lol.

I'll tell you right now. Lin can go left. New York guys have even made compilation of Lin finishing left in traffic, including against Rose, Deron and other top guards, precisely to get kids shooting their mouths about Lin going left off their boards. Is left Lin's dominant hand? No. but he CAN finish left. Claiming otherwise really just means you probably watched some clips on youtube but never saw no games.

And I'll tell you right now. Going down this road isn't going to end well for you. You think the Houston Rockets Clutchfans site is the first place where Lin has been vetted? There have been tens of thousands of guys trying to poke holes in Lin every since Lin blew up and he is legit. Why do you think sour grape New York haters are left with crying about Lin's disloyalty and how 35 games don't prove nothing? Because during those games they cannot poke holes in his game. He is not a media freak with glaring deficiencies. He's a solid point for whom all stats and game evidence points at this time to being a good to great player in the NBA.

His ceiling is debatable. But you aren't even trying to do that. You think that you sliding in some unsupported generalities is going to stand? People been through this with a fine tooth comb. His game, stats, starts, matchup v other points, even his athleticism has been vetted (yes his athleticism... which according to computerized combine measurements is somewhere north of the 70% of all NBA players and is comparable to Rose, Irving and others)

Again if you're going to talk ceiling or contribute to a discussion of his stats that's one thing. If you're going to run crap up a flagpole to see if anyone salutes it's not going to end well. Fair warning. I'm are willing to play though.