1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[82 Games] Jeremy Lin - Statistical Look

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Dude that was a terrific breakdown, OP. More insightful than I've seen from the official media.

2. arjun

arjun Member

I think the comment about his defense is incorrect.

If you WATCH Jeremy Lin he puts great pressure on the ball and is actually a really good defender. The reason his opponent PER is high (higher than Dragic atleast) is probably because the Knicks team defense is pretty crappy.

3. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Nice analysis. I wonder if agents use these during contract negotiations?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope you're right. But, I'm not confident that his numbers will look at all the same this season.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I've seen the majority of his games, and you're right, at times he does pressure the ball well, but that effort has to be consistent. A lot of the time, he would sag of and gamble for the steal or just let his man pass, which could also be attributed to fatigue. You're only a good defender if you actually defend, if that make sense. Kind of like how Kobe probably technically is a good defender but I don't give him credit for it because he doesn't exert effort on that end most of the time, especially as he gets older. Like I said in the OP, I have no doubt that he'll only improve in this aspect, especially with his size, quickness, and quick hands.

6. gambingo

gambingo Member

Nice stuffs. Repped!!! btw, how much time did it take you do all of this OP?

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No 10 year olds allowed in this thread.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I remember when they play the spurs in particular, STAT played some of the worst pick and roll defence I've ever since, left Lin on an island. commentators even said that if stat was active he could be like Olajuwon. Eugh.

9. dmcray95

dmcray95 Member

Great info!

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

About an hour to actually write it, but the ideas were all organized in my head already. Couldn't fall back asleep after waking up early so came to work early and wrote this :(

11. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

This is what i see..

"Sigmund
    This message is hidden because Sigmund is on your ignore list. "

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

Finishing inside is what seperated the Dragics and Lowrys from the Brooks and Alstons.

13. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

So you're saying Dragic's numbers are made up too. His data is only from the time Lowry went out.

14. Anthony314

Anthony314 New Member

Just for the sake of accuracy, its a 35 game sample- roughly 1/2 of last season. I think Dragic,Lowry and Lin are all comparable players with different strengths and weaknesses. What I do like is that Lin 3 years younger than Dragic/Lowry and showing this level of production- dragic/lowry both made huge strides over the past 2+ years- I'm betting Lin will work on his game and show some improvements as well.

15. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

I'm saying that you should use something called eyes and facts. Lin can't go left. Dragic is left-handed. Lin never played in playoff game, because he was only 85% ready and didn't want to play. Dragic dropped 23 points in 4th quarter vs. Spurs which is still the most in Duncan-Popovich era. Dragic has been point guard for his entire life. Lin doesn't have true NBA position.

16. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

[​IMG]

17. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Great info. Thanks.

Wonder how the figures of Dragic and Lowry like with their FIRST 35 real games :grin:

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Me too. I'm not going to entertain baiting from trolls. We do not negotiate with terrorists.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just to add a little something to this. Here are Lin's box score stats from the time when he first played 30+ minutes (the beginning of "Linsanity") until Woodson was hired and Lin's role was changed (he may also have already been injured, it's hard to know).

19 games
    36.3 MP
    7.2 FG
    15.8 FGA
    .453 FG%
    .333 3P%
    5.1 FT
    6.7 FTA
    .750 FT%
    RB 3.6
    AST 8.5
    STL 2.4
    TOV 4.8
    ---POINTS 20.4
    ---TS% .543

Who knows if he can ever replicate that again. But let's just keep in mind that for a decent stretch of games, he DID play at that level.

If the turnovers come down below 4 by the way, them's superstar numbers.

20. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Only thing is that Lin is not a rookie but with his lack of experience and playing time he mind as well have been. Interesting I also thought Lin was a better finisher and not a particularly good jump shooter. Its a small sample size so we will see next year. For guys saying you prefer Lowry or Dragic.... Lin is 3 years younger and has had far less playing time. He is not as good as either of them but they have pretty much peaked at the age of 26 while Lin has a lot more room and time to grow. Not to mention the fact that having Lin gives us a lot more exposure.