1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[790] Matt and Adam let go by 790?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Aug 1, 2013.

?

What will you listen to in the morning?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. Whoever replaces Matt & Adam

58.2%
  2. 610

10.9%
  3. ESPN Radio or Yahoo

14.5%
  4. Who listens to talk radio?!

16.4%
  1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D of the week

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They should just do an hour of Mohr and had Matt and Charlie keep their times.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sad that I listen to more 610 than 790 now.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Because they got rid of one show? That also happens to be their weakest

Makes no sense to me. 80% of the station is the same

5. platypus

platypus Member

No what pisses me off is how they moves Matt T to a ****ty time. This jay mohr cat is a freaking jack ass. I want local sports at that time slot not some upstate egomaniac ranting about A-Rod for 3 hours!

That is why i've been dialing in to 610 between 11-2. Other than that 790 is still my daily listen.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree on all points, I guess I'm not super affected cuz I listen to stuff on podcast a lot

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This is a Lance Z failure that burned Matt and Adam.

Stole him from 1560 by throwing money at him, and him in the morning failed. He brought his core listeners and the change caused some Matt and Adam listeners to leave. Moving him to afternoons, where he barely showed up and always left early was pathetic. He didn't fit anywhere. So to cut costs instead of buying him out, they dump Matt and Adam and pair Lance with cheap (guessing) labor in Clanton.

Lance is entertaining but over rated. He doesn't watch Rockets games, or even closely follow the team. He is all about the NFL draft and fantasy football on his own (credit card required) website. This is a massive loss for Rockets fans ahead of an exciting season.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

The line up was ruined.

I like Lance and Adam but their show ends at 9am. I wake up at 7:45am so I only get them for an hour.

In the trenches blows and Jay mohr right after so I have to wait 5 hours for Matt Thomas. By then I'm either listening to 1560 or nothing at all.

610 has me from 9-2pm since they provide LOCAL sports talk.

9. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Starting to lean that way for me too. 610 in the mornings and afternoons. 790 in the evenings. It would be even for me if I could listen to Matt Thomas, but I can't with his new time slot. Jay Mohr sucks. 790 took a big step back for me with this move on the doorstep of an exciting fall sports season. Lance and Adam seems like a good afternoon show, but they don't hold a candle to Wexler and Jackson to me. Bandwagoner hit the nail on the head, this is all just a cascade effect from Lance bailing on 1560. Sucks.

10. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

As much as I don't like 610, I do give them credit for Doing the right thing and staying local. Jay Mohr show is TERRIBLE! He doesn't have anything interesting to say AND he is the least entertaining entertainer I've ever heard.

I can't listen to nick and Lopez or J&R, but I do like Meltser and Seth, it is a pretty decent time filler while waiting for MT.

11. Illegal Machine

Wrong. Lance left 1560 because of the direction the station was moving. He took a LOT LESS money to go to a more stable, local environment at 790 (Jay Mohr...oops!).

So...that basically voids your entire argument.Matt and Adam were probably the highest paid there (aside from Charlie). 790 threw cash at them to come from 610, and take the morning slot (in the process save the station).

12. Illegal Machine

I haven't turned my dial to 610 since the Texans season ended last year.

13. Illegal Machine

Except hardly any of their hosts are ACTUALLY local guys. Nick Wright and Josh Innes are Troll radio. I don't listen to Troll Radio.

14. Indaface

Indaface Member

By Troll radio do you mean they act like trolls or actually look like trolls? Because it could honestly go either way.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I told you guys you'd end up loathing Jay Mohr radio. Just awful.

16. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Wow. Jay Mohr is married to Nikki Cox from Unhappily Ever After?

Even more reason to hate the guy, besides his annoying Nu Joyzee accent.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Don't know which is worse. Jay Mohr radio or those clowns at the garbage In The Trenches show.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like in the trenches although they aren't very good in the offseason because there isn't anything to talk about, but when it's football time it's nice to hear their expertise and experiences. It's hard to call 2 very good players who played for a long time and then went on to have fairly successful careers after football "clowns"...especially when you compare them to the other radio guys.

Granted, I wish Greg would clear that frog in his throat.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Funny thing is I love his podcast and have been listening to it for years but its about comedy not sports.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I thought when Lance came over (and still think) that they should have used him more with Greg and ND. During football season, put him on from 8-12 or 9-12 and split him between Matt and Adam and In the Trenches. Greg and ND really need a radio person to moderate and smooth out the show, and I think Lance could have helped to do that some. But they never really put them on together except for a segment or two.

Then in non-football season, make Greg and ND part time (Greg is out half the time in the offseason anyway it seems) and give Lance the 9-12 spot to do his thing and play around with. He could have ND, Clanton, Kaplan, Bun B, or whoever he wanted spot co-host with him or go solo.

I know cutting Matt and Adam was probably the most cost effective thing to do, but the new format just feels like it was thrown together in a 10 minute meeting to me and it alienated 2/3 of 790 listeners (Matt and Adam fans and noon listeners of Matt Thomas).