1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

75 Prominent Republicans Sign Pro-Gay Marriage Brief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 26, 2013.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Biden never sounded as terrible as Palin. She gave Jon Stewart and Colbert material practically daily during her campaign. Lets not mention she went to do a reality show afterwards...

2. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Biden told people to shoot people through the door. You really don't think that is the dumbest advice a VP could give to his constituents? Especially in the midst of a gun-control debate? If a Republican said that, what would have happened? Seriously, can you imagine the backlash?

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would rather not have Palin or Biden as the face of anything.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

He's not a Southern Evangelical but he is a sitting Senator and one of the original authors of DOMA.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...-announces-support-for-same-sex-marriage?lite

GOP's Rob Portman announces support for same-sex marriage

Republican Senator Rob Portman has announced his support for same-sex marriage, saying he reversed his position on the divisive social issue after his son came out as gay.

“I have come to believe that if two people are prepared to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for each other in good times and in bad, the government shouldn't deny them the opportunity to get married,” Portman wrote in an op-ed published Friday in the Columbus Dispatch.

“That isn’t how I’ve always felt. As a congressman, and more recently as a senator, I opposed marriage for same-sex couples. Then something happened that led me to think through my position in a much deeper way," Portman wrote in the op-ed.

The decision came after long consideration, the Ohio lawmaker told newspapers from his home state on Thursday. Portman’s 21-year-old son Will, who is a junior at Yale University, discussed his sexual orientation with Portman and his wife in 2011, the senator said.

His son said that his sexuality was “not a choice, it was who he is and that he had been that way since he could remember,” Portman told Cleveland.com during an interview in his Washington, D.C. office.

“It allowed me to think of this from a new perspective, and that’s of a dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have – to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years,” Portman told reporters during that interview.

Portman’s changed stance comes amid spreading support for same-sex marriage. Forty-eight percent of Americans supported same-sex marriage in 2012, up from 35 percent a decade ago, according to a Pew Research Center analysis from Dec. 2012.

Arguments challenging the Defense of Marriage Act, which Portman voted for in 1996, are due to be heard before the Supreme Court later this month.

Portman was considered a potential vice presidential candidate to run with Mitt Romney in the last presidential election, and acted as a surrogate for the Romney campaign in the important swing state of Ohio.

Portman told Romney that his son was gay, the senator said in an interview with CNN that aired Friday.

“I told Mitt Romney everything,” Portman said of the vetting he underwent last year. “That process is, intrusive would be one way to put it. But, no, yeah, I told him everything.”

Mitt Romney adviser Beth Myers, who led the vice presidential vetting process, confirmed to NBC News Friday morning that that the campaign was aware Sen. Rob Portman's son was gay as they vetted him for the number 2 job – but that the situation played "no role whatsoever" in Romney's decision about who to pick as his running mate.

"It did not play a role," she said. Myers said that Portman told the campaign about the fact that his son was gay.

Myers said Portman called her on Thursday evening to tell her about his decision to switch his position and come out in support of gay marriage.

In the interview with Cleveland.com, Portman said that he believes the issue of same-sex marriage is “more generational than it is partisan.” He said that former Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter is a lesbian, told him to “do the right thing, follow your heart.”

Portman said he also considered his Christian faith, which led him to decide that “in a way, this strengthens the institution of marriage.”

“The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly from the Golden Rule, and that fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue,” Portman said, according to Cleveland.com.

“Especially proud of my dad today,” Will Portman tweeted on Friday with a link to the Columbus Dispatch op-ed.

The announcement came the same day as fellow Republican Senator Marco Rubio reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage at a conservative gathering.

“Just because I believe that states should have the right to define marriage in a traditional way does not make me a bigot,” Rubio told the Conservative Political Action Conference on Thursday.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Here is Portman's Op-Ed.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...uples-also-deserve-chance-to-get-married.html

Rob Portman commentary: Gay couples also deserve chance to get married

I have come to believe that if two people are prepared to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for each other in good times and in bad, the government shouldn’t deny them the opportunity to get married.

That isn’t how I’ve always felt. As a congressman, and more recently as a senator, I opposed marriage for same-sex couples. Then something happened that led me to think through my position in a much deeper way.

Two years ago, my son Will, then a college freshman, told my wife, Jane, and me that he is gay. He said he’d known for some time, and that his sexual orientation wasn’t something he chose; it was simply a part of who he is. Jane and I were proud of him for his honesty and courage. We were surprised to learn he is gay but knew he was still the same person he’d always been. The only difference was that now we had a more complete picture of the son we love.

At the time, my position on marriage for same-sex couples was rooted in my faith tradition that marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman. Knowing that my son is gay prompted me to consider the issue from another perspective: that of a dad who wants all three of his kids to lead happy, meaningful lives with the people they love, a blessing Jane and I have shared for 26 years.

I wrestled with how to reconcile my Christian faith with my desire for Will to have the same opportunities to pursue happiness and fulfillment as his brother and sister. Ultimately, it came down to the Bible’s overarching themes of love and compassion and my belief that we are all children of God.

Well-intentioned people can disagree on the question of marriage for gay couples, and maintaining religious freedom is as important as pursuing civil marriage rights. For example, I believe that no law should force religious institutions to perform weddings or recognize marriages they don’t approve of.

British Prime Minister David Cameron has said he supports allowing gay couples to marry because he is a conservative, not in spite of it. I feel the same way. We conservatives believe in personal liberty and minimal government interference in people’s lives. We also consider the family unit to be the fundamental building block of society. We should encourage people to make long-term commitments to each other and build families, so as to foster strong, stable communities and promote personal responsibility.

One way to look at it is that gay couples’ desire to marry doesn't amount to a threat but rather a tribute to marriage, and a potential source of renewed strength for the institution.

Over the past decade, nine states and the District of Columbia have recognized marriage for same-sex couples. It is understandable to feel cautious about making a major change to such an important social institution, but the experience of the past decade shows us that marriage for same-sex couples has not undercut traditional marriage. In fact, over the past 10 years, the national divorce rate has declined.

Ronald Reagan said all great change in America begins at the dinner table, and that’s been the case in my family. Around the country, family members, friends, neighbors and coworkers have discussed and debated this issue, with the result that today twice as many people support marriage for same-sex couples as when the Defense of Marriage Act was signed into law 17 years ago by President Bill Clinton, who now opposes it. With the overwhelming majority of young people in support of allowing gay couples to marry, in some respects the issue has become more generational than partisan.

The process of citizens persuading fellow citizens is how consensus is built and enduring change is forged. That’s why I believe change should come about through the democratic process in the states. Judicial intervention from Washington would circumvent that process as it’s moving in the direction of recognizing marriage for same-sex couples. An expansive court ruling would run the risk of deepening divisions rather than resolving them.

I’ve thought a great deal about this issue, and like millions of Americans in recent years, I’ve changed my mind on the question of marriage for same-sex couples. As we strive as a nation to form a more perfect union, I believe all of our sons and daughters ought to have the same opportunity to experience the joy and stability of marriage.

Rob Portman is a U.S. senator from Ohio.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm glad Portman changed his mind on this issue, but I find it frustrating that these guys show no empathy for other people until it effects them at home.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's kind of the human condition though.

Also, politicians are so craven -- all of them. He's sharing his son's story to just elicit a warm feeling in the audience. His change is cold political calculation and not wanting to be on the wrong side of history. That's my sad take.

1 person likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sadly, Oscar Pistorius heeded his advice.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does signing then qualify as leadership? I can't imagine the Republican public will persist in opposition if the leadership increasingly supports gay marriage. It seems inevitable at this point.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

So all we need now is to get every senator/congressman's daughter pregnant at 18, and we can finally end the abortion debate?

Any volunteers?

11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

"Mostly out of office...." Another shrewd move putting "most" of the heat on ex-office holders while enabling the rest to point to the kindler, gentler GOP. Although its a farce, its still a net gain for society since the discussion has moved the right way (ha! I mean Left) regardless of intention.

Or we could get really lucky and this will accelerate the split between the fiscal conservative/libertarian block and the religious right. We should be so lucky.

#51 HayesStreet, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
  12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Separately, I'm not sure a legislator should be (eventually) casting votes based on family sentiment or personal interests if they contradict the best interests or (non-oppressive) predominant values of his constituents.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

In who the hell's favor? How do you think upper middle-class, predominately white girls from politically (and professionally) well-connected families will deal with unplanned pregnancies after twenty years of romantic comedies and Friends finales?

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

We need to turn more children of republicans gay so that they'll change their mind. :p

16. SunsRocketsfan

Actually I think the silent majority doesn't give a f+ck and care about more important issues

17. Steve_Francis_rules

Well, it worked with Sarah Palin, right? She gave up on her principles and became pro-choice after her daughter got pregnant, didn't she?

18. Steve_Francis_rules

You're right, most politicians are very calculating like that. However, I think of Portman's change in stance as good news and I'm happy to leave it at that and not question his motives.

I think the liberals who are attacking him as selfish for changing his mind because of his son, yet at the same time hail President Obama as a hero for coming out in support of same-sex marriage, are complete hypocrites (e.g., http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/03/rob-portman-gay-marriage-and-selfishness.html).

Obama was in favor of gay marriage in the 90's until he thought it would hurt him on the national stage, only to become pro-gay marriage again when it was convenient. That's far more selfish and calculating than Portman's change, IMO.