1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

75 Prominent Republicans Sign Pro-Gay Marriage Brief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 26, 2013.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is great news separate from any political sniping. If someone in this day and age can actually change their mind about something, good for them. It's healthy.

If the brief makes much of a difference with a radical like Scalia... I'll believe it when I see it.

2. Major

Major Member

Of course.

[​IMG]

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yogi Bear has a better chance of becoming the face of the national GOP.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So your saying he has a decent shot.... I mean this abomination was the face of the party at one point...[​IMG]

5. dback816

dback816 Member

Why are you intimidated by career oriented women?

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Does anyone think that making the legal term for everyone be "civil unions" with the exact same benefits. To the state you are, for all tax-paying and benefit purposes, one. The church can "marry" you, or choose not to "marry" you, but regardless you're rights would be the same. My parents are very religious, my uncle is gay, and even he agrees. BTW he is kind of a born again Christian, still gay though, but when my Grandmother died he came back to the Church and has been involved ever since, they didn't try to change him or anything btw.

So anyways, my religious family is fine with this, because, while they think it is morally wrong, they don't think any less of them as people and believe they deserve every right afforded to anyone else.

What are your thoughts?

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

why does the word "marriage" have to be synonymous with church?

there are plenty of hetero, non religious marriages happening.

or jewish or hindu or muslim marriages for that matter.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Nobody owns the word marriage. Gay people want to get married. Straight people can get a license to marry outside of a church. Why can't a gay couple do that? We have a Constitution that provides equal protection of the law.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Those who oppose gay-marriage do so because of a religious obligation, they feel. This is a solution that should make both sides happy. It gives them equality. If they want to call it a marriage, that's fine, but to the state EVERYONE will be considered a civil-union. So the homosexual community can make their own ceremonies and call it marriage, but the only legal definition will be that they are a civil-union and therefore afforded all rights associated with.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Those who oppose it, believe this way. This is the crowd that is hindering progress on this issue. I am offering a potential solution to gain equality among both groups offering a neutral term from the government's standpoint. Society, gays and straights both can call it whatever, marriage, a union, hell, whatever they think their unity should be called.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This country doesn't give or deny rights based on your religion.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I am aware of that, but this country, like it or not, is made up predominantly of people associated with one religion or another. So why not have the government use a more neutral term so satisfy all parties? Christians can get married, gays can get married, because that "marriage," the unity, is about more than a piece of paper and recognition from the state, it is about two people joining together "forever." The gov't offers the same to everyone, a certificate of unity and you are "married" in the eyes of the State. But your true marriage comes at the ceremony of your choosing, whether it be at a church, actually at the Justice of the Peace, at dinner, at the actual moment of proposal, whatever, that is all "spiritual," in a non-religious sort of way.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

In the '60s, some Southern school districts shut down instead of integrate, then gave scholarships for white kids to attend private schools, many of which just started popping up out of nowhere. Christians renaming the legal arrangement and then hoarding the emotional and cultural significance of the institution isn't anywhere near as harmful, but no less annoying, desperate and out-of-date.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting.

The libertarian side of the Republican party (the one everyone pretends to be afraid of) has been on board with this.

Ron Paul would make it a state-by-state decision. Gary Johnson wants full-on federal endorsement of homosexuality:

https://www.facebook.com/govgaryjohnson/posts/545756272112260

#34 napalm06, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I was "married" at the Justice of the Peace. We didn't want to deal with a wedding and aren't religious. It was one of the best decisions we made as husband and wife in our five years of marriage. We saved ourselves time, money and numerous headaches; plus I'll feel much better if the marriage ever goes south.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually your solution has been proposed before by many people. One of the biggest resistance to it is those who want to preserve the traditional meaning of "marriage" and who feel that the state going to using "civil unions" for all marriages debases the institution. The POV that I have mainly heard from those who argue against Gay marriage is that they are fine with civil unions for them but want to preserve state recognized marriage for heterosexuals.

Personally I agree with your suggestion and have brought it up before but as I said not many on either side are for it.

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and this is the face of the democrats:

[​IMG]

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Interesting, do you happen to know if this type of legislation has been proposed before, and if so, by whom?

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure if it actually made it to legislation stage but I know it has been discussed before both here in D & D and elsewhere.

20. Hak34

Hak34 Member

The fact that you believe you insult Democrats by posting a gif of Biden and trying to associate him as being on the same nincompoopery as a Palin is both hysterical and scary on the same level.