1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

62% of Americans say this

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 22, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Two things can be true:

-Trumps Election Day turnout in November can be higher than it is represented July at the height of a pandemic and economic catastrophe

-People on both sides equally can feel like not openly talking politics

It’s insane that Trumpers see this poll and think it’s all about them all the time. I get they are looking for any smidge of hope for November but the fact is this poll isn’t just about you. Democrats also can sometimes not desire to talk politics and believe your politics should be something you keep to yourself.

This is not proof that the polls are fake news and secretly the vast majority of Americans think Trump should be on Mount Rushmore.

The president is really really in a massive hole because of the handling of the pandemic, the economic crisis, his unpopular policies, his racism, and his autocratic desires to destroy our democracy.

Can he dig out of this hole enough to win again... yes 100% but right now there’s no silent majority. The vast majority right now think this man sucks at his job.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean you answer the polls anonymously. Anyone using this as an excuse to dismiss polling data for the 2020 election are suffering from wishful thinking.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The GOP ****ED itself by putting in a dumbass like Trump.

They need to reset, even their leadership knows this which is why Lincoln Project exists.

DD

4. dobro1229

Imagine thinking that a major fumbling of a pandemic that led to the deaths of 150,000 Americans and 52 million unemployed wouldn’t lead to a tanking in the polls of the American president. Has to be fake news....

Just shows that the fact that he’s still in the high 30’s how resilient he is as cult leader and how loyal his followers are. I can imagine any Democrats in his situation having approval in the teens in this situation.

DVauthrin and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it really those who favor conservatism? I can believe it is from anecdotal experience and I personally haven't dismissed a hidden Trump vote but is there research into whether the people who don't like to talk about their political views more conservative than liberal? Since cities are more liberal I can see it's likely that conservatives living in cities might feel less comfortable about expressing their views. That said it's not as though rural areas are completely lock step in their views and I'm sure there might people out in what are mostly conservative leaning areas who don't feel comfortable expressing liberal views. For that matter I've heard a lot of anecdotes about people afraid to express their views because their parents, spouses or even employers are very conservative and they don't want to discuss liberal views out of respect or fear for those people.

No problem.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This has been a long simmering problem and I don't think Trump has made it better but he's certainly not the cause.

I agree that there is a problem with discussing real issues with each other because of the divide. Calling each other "evil" and saying you shouldn't put up with people who you political don't agree with is is a big problem. We should unfriend people like that not just online but in person. I invited a Trump supporting friend who lives in the suburbs to come to BBQ at my house and he turned it down because he believes that Minneapolis is a raging war zone.

We still have to live with each other. Some of us in the same household. This kind of Balkanization of our politics and culture isn't good.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How so?

You think Hillary Clinton is not smarter and more competent than Trump?

You think Hillary would have downplayed the Corona virus?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Isn't Balkanization a byproduct of consumerism?

You don't like minorities in your neighborhood, you move into a gated community. You don't like the bias in your broadcast news, you watch a cable network that makes you feel more comfortable or connected. You think Twitter hurts your Heroes feelings, you sign up to Parlor to post dubiously racist cartoons of Obama and his wife.

At least we can't do that in the workplace, but even the damn overstretched hands of The Beast won't let me "light heartedly joke" when there are "protected classes" in the room or around. ****in fascist censorship i say j** f***** n**** c****!!!!!!!!(&)&@:$$;(!;!:mad:@

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I could get into a detailed list of specifics, but I'm not interested in trying to change anyone's opinion so I'll leave it at this:

I'm not saying she would be just as bad for the same reasons. I'm saying overall she would be just as bad. #douchebagvsturdsandwich
    I feel like she would have continued building on the disaster of ACA. I think her approach to foreign policy is extremely questionable. And I think she is just as (if not more) corrupt, devious, egomaniacal, and a terrible, terrible human being all the way to her core. I don't believe that she represents or cares about the American people, and she is a penultimate example of a sleazy, two-faced politician. Would she make obnoxious remarks on twitter? Probably not. Would she routinely say things during press conferences that were questionable to say the least? Probably not routinely. Would she paint her skin orange and parade around in a bombastic hair style all while inhaling the smell of her own bowel movements? Doubtful.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So building on ACA is just as bad as trying to end it and go back to square one?

How does that make any sense?

I notice you are just ignoring the whole response to Covid thing.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yes it's a failed system. The only aspects of it that were good was ending denial for pre-existing conditions and increased access for women's health. Overall it was trash, and it made insurance more expensive all while requiring people have insurance.

The covid response I feel has been unfortunate, but I think the affect it has had is overblown. I blame the people more than the federal administration for our lack of control. If you are trying to make it look like I'm defending Trump I am not. I am saying Hilary is that bad. You don't have to agree.

Going to focus on the Stros now.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It seems you forgot about Medicare expansion and pre existing condition or being able to stay on family insurance in this look at the ACA.

Never came close to saying you were defending Trump, I just know that ACA has benefited millions of people and people still sign up for it in greater numbers.

No Hillary is nowhere near as bad even if she would have been as corrupt, this is just crazy talk.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The 38%. Trump! Trump!

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing is. . .everything is negotiable.
    So Everyone will have contrasting opinions with others
    I don;t know if there is any REAL blowback
    except for Racist being racists

Calling out evil and vile folx should never be a problem
    Public shaming needed to happen again

If you not a shitty person . . . .why be scare . .. right?

Rocket River

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Marshall is in SW Mn an area that trump carried in the last election

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hitler's Aryan dream is still alive.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is purely anecedotel so take it with a grain of salt but from my time in living in the Boston area which is obviously mostly liberal, Trump supporters seem to be the most vocal and in your face. You hardly ever saw Hillary stickers but you'll see Trump bumper stickers and yard signs and MAGA hats. I think for many Tump supporters who live in liberal areas, they purposefully want to express their Trump support as a type of attempt to trigger people around them. That's just from what I personally have seen.

18. dobro1229

Also worthy to note for Trumpers here who see this as evidence of a silent majority....

I WOULD VOTE YES in this poll.

Im surrounded by Trumpers in my life as I’ve noted many times and I know that I have to walk on egg shell every day with what I say. If it sounds like anything liberal I won’t get a word in and will set that person off on a tangent.

So for those Trump supporters here that know me here.... Do I seem like a Silent Majority voter for Trump???

TheFreak and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is that Michael Moore filming Roseanne??

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Those two idiots should be forced to move to communist China or North Korea so they can experience the modern equivalent to Hitler’s reign in Germany.