1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610am morning show calling for Morey to get fired.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbatim, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Ted Johnson former Patriot has been on 610 the last few weekends I think he is pretty talented wouldn't mind if boots off Wright or Lopez.

Wright has been in Houston for 3 months? I really don't care what his opinion is on any Houston sports team.......

2. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

I just love it when brand new members start bashing vets right out of the gate. So refreshing.

And BTW, many of us wouldn't have such a problem with 610 if they did some research and placed a little more value on the facts. It's perfectly fine to be critical of Morey, but this morning's rant reveals their crew's complete lack of understanding the Rockets' salary commitments after signing Asik relative to the contracts that Orlando actually unloaded in the trade (see post #48 of this thread from*heypartner). It also shows that they are oblivious that any trade for Howard would need to be done in context of the larger goal of building a contending team, both with acquiring quality talent like Asik, and a maintaining certain amount of salary flexibility that would be destroyed had they taken on all of Orlando's bad contracts just to land DH.

610 is either poorly informed, or they value the sensationalism generated by "angle" of the story more than the facts themselves.

3 people like this.
  3. mmeltser

mmeltser Member

A few thoughts:

-Nick was reacting specifically to Zach Lowe's article on SI.com, which sort of implies that signing Lin and Asik compromised the Rockets' cap situation to the extent that in Zach's mind/math, they couldn't have taken on Hedo Turkoglu in a Dwight Howard deal. Nick said that if that is the case, and those 2 contracts cost the Rockets a shot at DH, Morey should be fired. Not to defend him too much, but Nick also did say that he's a Knicks fan and would love for them to hire Morey (he does believe he is a good GM), but if indeed the Lowe thing is the case, he believes it is a fireable offense. As I said this morning to him, I don't agree with that.

-One of the challenges I have, even doing 20 hours a week on the air, is the Rockets' situation is so nuanced that it requires a lot of background information in order to form an educated opinion on the organization/GM. A lot of callers/texters just see win-loss records and create takes based off that, which is hard to do with the NBA.

-I've been a very staunch Daryl Morey supporter, as anyone who has tuned in to Brad and myself probably knows. My personal MAIN critique of the team would be: why not tank the last 2 years? what did this organization get out of playing competitive basketball over those 2 years? If you went back and added 10-15 losses per year, what if that lands you a Klay Thompson and/or a Greg Monroe? Is that kind of player who could swing a DH deal from LA to Houston? I think it's very possible (I take Klay Thompson over Aaron Afflalo, especially considering contract).

-In terms of the broadcasting deal, the only thing that has changed on my end is the freedom to criticize certain elements around the team. Now I can go on the air and tell you Clyde Drexler is a terrible color commentator (nice guy, but that's what I believe) without dealing with the headaches of getting a reprimand. When discussing the team/GM, it doesn't affect what I say at all.

4 people like this.
  4. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

bashing right away. I made a point and instead of making a counter point, it became juvenile name calling. A common occurance i see on here.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this comment is spot on and well-said. Gold star!

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't give a crap about grammar mistakes, but misspelling the same word the same way over and over again just shows a lack of intelligence.

It's interesting how most public personalities who are good at what they do are able to just brush off what people think about them. The ones who can't let it go and get defensive about it are usually the ones who aren't very good at what they do....

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think this is a fair point. I believe we should have started the rebuilding process before this year; certainly at least last year. It's hard to speculate about what could have gotten the Howard deal done, but this goal of "making the playoffs" when we were an average team, not even close to contending, was misguided in my opinion. I think it needlessly prolonged a long, painful road to nowhere when we should have been focused on building a contender ...even if we had to take a few steps backwards to do it.

#107 Aruba77, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly. ^

Like, you can't say "Kubiak is a meathead" (he is) "and w/o Wade Philips the Texans'd still be in purgatory" (they would). But now ya'll have more latitude with the Rockets.

Innes is a punk, though.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Welcome to the board. Hope you stay around a while and post more.

Who are you getting reprimanded from? The station or the team?

And tell your producer that Walter Bellhaven says hello. He'll know what it means. :)

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I tend to agree with this...I think it's akin to the make believe the Astros played with themselves for years...pretending that they were so close, when they weren't.

I'm not ready to see Morey fired. But the leash isn't long at this point. It's a bottom-line business. You win or you lose...there are umpteen-million excuses for every GM that gets fired. But in the end, you either get it done or you don't...and that's what you'll be judged for. That may seem harsh and unfair, but that's it.

BTW...I don't think the Rockets picked a direction with where they're heading...I think the direction picked them. I'm fine with the end result because I think it's better than hovering around the 8 seed pretending that's a great accomplishment for a proud franchise; but they didn't choose this. They struck out repeatedly, and this is where we've landed.

Thanks for coming here to make comments by the way.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Mike, it's not just callers/texters, it's most of the on-air personalities on your station. I guarantee you most of the people on this board is way more educated on the salary cap/CBA than Josh Ennis. I do appreciate that you readily admit this, but most of your colleagues are too arrogant to do actual research and homework to understand these "nuances". Because of this lack of knowledge by your colleagues, I find it impossible to listen to SportsRadio 610 anymore and have fully converted to 790.

Josh always brags about having high ratings, but guess what? "Norbit" made more money in the box office than "Fight Club". It's not about the number of listeners, it's about the quality. Enjoy your high ratings.

1 person likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This sounds exactly like Les. DM hasn't had the option to tank.

I'm just glad we came out with Lamb, White, and Jones at where we were slotted. DM made this all happen by wheeling and dealing.

13. caneks

caneks Rookie

LOL, have you seen any single NBA regular/playoff game from those guys? or you are just happy whatever Morey did no matter what?

14. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Fair.....

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Hey Josh Inness, Meltser used his real name why are you such a vagina?

Pathetic.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And Les is the one who writes the checks, sammy. It is what it is. You win or you lose your job. GM's don't keep jobs in the NBA very long like this.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

And this is the main reason I've stopped listening to 610am. When the Texans were horrible no one would dare say anything bad about them for fear of the reprimands. They made bad decision after bad decision for a decade and the 610am team were sucking up to them.

Now, I don't like Josh but the one time I heard him criticize the Rockets Rich quickly told him to shut up. I can't stand this biased reporting. It's terrible and the station is terrible for allowing it to happen.

To make matters worse, now that you DON'T have to hold your tongue, you go the opposite end of the spectrum and throw vitriol at the home team that's undeserved. Many are the criticisms that should be thrown at Morey but not getting Howard is not one of them. Any informed home reporter should know the situation of the Rockets as much as the Astros/Texans since they are one of the 3 major home teams. The fact that either a) you are so misinformed while any normal Rockets fan could refute your faulty information or b) you don't care, you are just hating because it's the first time you feel entitled to do so and think you can get away with it means you are not doing your job right.

There is a reason most of the fans on this board hated 610am before you lost broadcasting rights to the Rockets and most are happy they moved to 790am. You guys are not good at doing your job, are biased and are scared of your sponsors. It's a terrible combination for the non-biased sports fan that's somewhat informed about their home teams.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We all know that these guys were ultimately acquired to help us nab a superstar like Dwight.

Nobody knows what we really offered for him though. Clutch seems to think that only Jones or White were on the table, if I'm not mistaken. It isn't crazy to think that Les and Morey had a change of heart after seeing their potential displayed in the summer league. I was pissed as anyone on Thursday. I was also dissapointed that it seemed like Morey had low-balled the Magic.

It is what it is now. I can't quit the Rockets so we'll just have to go with what we have. Apparently, Vegas thinks we're a playoff team. Either they think we're good enough as is or they're anticipating a deal that puts us in that place.

19. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

I have been making this sentiment the past few years especially w/ the 2012 draft that just passed (truly believe this will be the best and deepest draft since '03)

Although rebuilding isn't always a sure thing, I feel that building with home grown talent will be more of a sure thing then convincing some money and attention starved "star" to come and play in Houston

20. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Thanks for piping up today.. You are probably my favorite on SR610... Nick being my least favorite. Definetly enjoying Joe O on the weekends too.