1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610AM] JVG Discusses Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tb-Cain, Jun 5, 2007.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

1. I am sure he wanted a legit starting 2 guard because he wanted Tracy starting at the 3
    2. I am sure that he wanted Roy
    3. I am sure he wanted Harpring.
    4. He said on the radio that Morey made the Battier trade and he signed off on it, that tells me Morey put it together and at the time of the trade (could be that it was put together on draft night) he was OK with it, he also said on the radio that 'they' I assume Lindsey and Morey did not think Gay would develop into a star player, and he said only time would tell, and that ' they would have drafted Th.....whatever his name is. :)
    5. Harpring and Battier are very different players- Harpring is a legit 2 guard who is tougher than Battier and has a mid range game and is better driving the lane. Battier has the same scrappy style but is a small forward who had to guard some 2 guards and PF this past season. Battier doesn't have a midrange or low post game.
    6. Van Gundy was very pleased with Battier once he had him on the team, he was goo goo all over Battier all season long.

2. Pocket Rockets

im assuming coaches can tell a little white lie once in a while

3. yaominn

yaominn Member

good one, and howard+alston for bibby+their second round pick

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

very well. but at least im using some 'evidence' as to the extent of involvement that this particular coach has in the draft...and not just assuming that b/c he is a coach means he is the guy pulling the trigger.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, here was the Rockets' logic on draft night:

Brandon Roy > Shane Battier (plus being free of Stromile Swift's long term deal) > Thabo Sefalosha > Rudy Gay

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The difference between "Morey's trade" and "CD and JVG signed off on it" is that it was likely Morey's idea in the first place, and Morey was the one pushing for it, whether CD and JVG (and ultimately Les) gave their OK. The ones giving their OKs may not be adament about it, but merely finding it acceptable.

It's like your wife taking you to see Titanic. It was your wife's movie, but you "signed off on it."

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Thanks. Got to disagree with you. Harpring is also a SF. He played less than 10% of Utah's SG minutes and nearly 40% of their SF minutes in 06-07, 13% and 34% in 05-06 and 0% SG in 04-05.

Most NBA SG's are quicker (albeit shorter) than McGrady. Harpring really struggled with McGrady during the playoffs...he'd be terrible vs quicker players. Harpring has marginally better offense.

Point not to lose sight of....Harpring is a Utah bench player. He started 2 games this season and 32 the season before. A bench player from a marginally elite team is not worth a #8 pick IMO. Especially when that player turned 31 on May 31st.

8. GATER

No. I think you are wrong. Swift's contract is irrelevant in the equation. You are going to pay $5+m per year for either Battier or Swift + Gay. It comes down to the talent evaluation of Gay vs Battier.

9. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

OK, he is a SF

Still he was the player JVG said he would like as a 2 guard. Unless I just messed up what was said (which wouldn't surprise me) but I am pretty sure he wanted Tracy at the 3 guard and he wanted a larger tougher 2 guard.

Whether Harpring is any good or not, I don't watch him enough to have an opinion, but I know JVG liked him enough to mention him being a good fit here.

I really don't think JVG ran the personnel side of things. I think he had some strong opinions of the type of team and wanted certain type players, but I don't think he had final say as some here think.

I have several reasons for believing that based on the time I had to talk to him.

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

yeah, its hard to picture harpring at sg and being effective

11. GATER

OK...we'll leave it at that. I'm all for moving McGrady back to SF. That's one thing that VG and I can agree upon.

IMHO, Sefalosha should have been the choice because you get more athletic and possbily deeper by moving down (assumes CHI would send something in return for the swap).

12. yaominn

yaominn Member

also at that time swift still had some trade value, he had a much better contract than howard's.

13. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well...he loves Houston so, so much...um...so...

I was thinking..... :D

Maybe he can take a few years off and IF, IF, IF things don't work out with Adelman...I'm just saying...you know...Phil Jackson did it! :D :D :D

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If by "it" you mean win 3 championships and then be handed insane money to come back, then yeah -- he did it.

I liked JVG... but I highly doubt with the napalming of the bridge between he and Les that you're going to see too many fans make headway with the owner by pining for the days of first round exits.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

first ronud exits against better teams however

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

say no to JVG !

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Too bad you weren't running the Nets front office a few years ago...

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think it's pretty safe to assume that we were only picking Richard Jefferson for the Nets.

Had we not had that deal in place our pick was clearly going to go for Kirk Haston, Michael Bradley, Joe Forte or Jeryl Sasser.... :rolleyes:

Thabo > Rudy Gay.... :confused: I follow the lead up to the draft pretty religiously and still don't know what Thabo provides at the NBA level

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am so amazed of how the JVG apologists would keep on denying that he has a big part in shaping the roster.

Here's a quote from Lindsey in Clutch's article:

If you still don't believe it, just look at what players they got in Rudy's days and what players they got in JVG's days.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Harpring didn't want to play with anyone else than Utah. I wish we had gotten Memphis' 24th pick as well in addition to Battier after the trade was announced. I was in favor of picking Rudy Gay in the 1st place because I felt he could eventually become a good reserve SF who would help T-Mac out with his athletic ability and youth.