1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610: Francis has video footage proving family emergency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AlexVanderpool, Feb 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I believe I owe every sane individual on this board who gave up on Eddie Griffin long before I did, an apology. I recall stating rhetorically, "If Steve Francis did the same thing (shoot at someone and beat up a woman) you all wouldn't be calling for his head..." Dayum, I was way wrong! you all are running him out of town on a rail for a lie! (Well and the whole letting his team down and all that other stuff). He lied yes, but he sure didn't whip out the jammy and try to flat-blast anyone.

I believe I was way wrong expecting a double standard so I'm gonna chill now with this big-A slice of humble pie.

Clutchfans.net - (we're) judicious, extremely so, but surprisingly fair...

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Damn you, DD! This was gonna be my post!

Exactly. Well put.

He was on his way to the game and turned around in the parking lot, going home after, say, calling his agent or whomever. He might say that surveillance cameras at the stadium will show he wasn't there....having changed his mind about going, blah blah blah.

Did he really say he went to a morning meeting that didn't occur or is that an urban legend?

3. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

OK, we should have a death pool on who's out of here by when. I'm predicting JVG this week, but I'd prefer Francis out.

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

In the interview when a reporter asked him if he's talked to JVG since yesterday he said " Yeah, we had breakfast this morning." That was all he said I think.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Where is the accountability?

Look, any way you look at it Francis was in the wrong. This is what he should have done......

Make a PUBLIC statement to the media that "he was wrong," it was a mistake. He wont do it again. And then come back to the team and play well. END OF STORY. But, by keeping up this story it just looks worse and worse.

As they say, the COVER UP is always worse than the crime. We are in a society of forgiveness. Just fess up that what you did wrong and it will eventually be forgoten. The longer there is a cover up and an ADDITIONAL intent to deceive the more difficult it is for us to forgive.

Remember the saying....stay humble, stay hungry? Francis needs to be humbled here...and then get hungry on the court.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

This is getting uglier than I could have ever imagined.

Weigh the 2 options and figure this problem out.

Why would SF lie?
    (To try and get himself out of trouble)

Why would JVG lie?
    (To give him an excuse to disrupt the team further by falsely accusing his star player of skipping out on a team plane for selfish reasons and then suspending him so he could add another L in the column - against Phoenix no less)

mmm....

To me - Steve is gone - if not now - in Aug. When Hakeem went on "injury" leave, he only returned when there was a new coach. I don't think Steve has the same power.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is from the Houston Chronicle
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2386581
    Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and guard Steve Francis met Tuesday to talk about Francis' decision to skip the team's flight to Phoenix on Sunday, a team source said Tuesday.

If Steve has surveilance tape then it proves he wasn't at the Superbowl. That doesn't excuse him not telling JVG ahead of time he wouldn't be on the flight.

It also does not excuse JVG coming out and saying that he was at the superbowl when he wasn't. That's falsely trashing a player's rep.

In the past STeve has given up minutes to new comer Mark Jackson, worked very hard on his game, gotten any kind of health problems taken care of early or on time so that he could work hard, changed his game, encouraged his teammates to be more aggressive etc. Steve has gone out of his way to make Yao Ming feel at home, with both the on and off court chaos of the NBA. Steve has told teammates like Cat that Yao would be good for the team. He's done a lot of positive leadership things and this was not one of them at all. Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar screen and the team will focus and end this losing streak.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I heard that BigFoot is also on that tape along with Jimmy Hoffa...

9. Deepsouth

Deepsouth Member

Steve really make stupid decisions.

10. Thanos

Thanos Member

I'm just waiting for an incredible CGI version developed by Industrial Light and Magic that shows that Jeff had breakfast with Francis.

I mean, c'mon, they can do ANYTHING these days. If Gollum looks almost as real as it gets, why not a CGIgundy? They even look somewhat alike...!

Seriously, I'd be laughing like there's no tomorrow at this stupidity if Francis wasn't supposed to be the "Franchise" our MAX player.

That Bucks trade might have been fake, but hopefully there is a taker out there for him. He has definetely gone over the edge this time.

Lack of character is a flaw even more disgusting than lack of heart.

11. farhan007

farhan007 Member

seriously, if you didnt see him, no reason to joke around. Some people could take what you said seriously

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

What if JVG is having another pressure/stress freak-out thing and wants an excuse so he can quit again? :confused:

What if the mafia is involved? :confused:

What if Stevie was abducted by space aliens? :confused:

What if we are all being punk'd by Ashston Kusher? :confused:

:rolleyes:

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

This season started out with so much promise:

New arena
    New uniforms
    Further development of Yao
    Playoff hopes.

Since the season started weve had:
    Eddie Griffin disintegrate and leave the team.
    Very little improvement from Yao, about the same level he was at last year
    Steve having the worst season of his career
    Playoffs, still alive but not looking good
    And now it looks like Steve is quitting on the team too.

What a disappointment.:(

14. farhan007

farhan007 Member

no, you really dont know.

15. farhan007

farhan007 Member

why go down to levels of making him look worse than he actually is?

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, the ISSUE here is that SF should have had his "franchise a**" on the plane along with the rest of his teammates rather than sitting in a car calling JVG from the PARKING LOT of Reliant stadium. That's the ONLY issue here. I don't blame JVG one iota here. I can not imagine ANYTHING more insulting and infuriating to a coach of JVG's stature and temperament. This organization has invested heavily in this dumba** both monetarily and publicly and for him to go out and pull a stunt like this is the height of arrogance and conceit.

Folks here need to quit lining up to kiss Francis' a** and start holding him accountable for his stupid actions and crappy play on the court (for which he's being paid VERY handsomely).

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Just saw the interviews at practice on TV.

they were interviewing Francis and he said "we're cool we just had breakfast morning"

Then the same reporters tell Van Gundy Francis said 'yall had breakfast this morning and yall are cool"

guys you just had to see JVG expression when he heard this, all at once, he shook his head quickly and had this exasperated look, and said "we didn't have breakfast this morning"

Francis is just a habitual liar. Theres no doubt about it. He is obviously lying about having breakfast with Van Gundy. I don't even think he understands that its not ok to say you had breakfast with someone when you really didn't because the dude is a habitual liar.

I feel sorry for Van Gundy the dude looks completley exasperated with the whole thing.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether it was breakfast or not, a team source has told the chronicle that Steve and JVG did talk on Tuesday.

19. titaniumws

titaniumws Member

maybe Steve just likes to add a little salt and pepper to his stories..:D

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

no, dammit it is important. its just as important as the reporter asking Francis why JVG thought he was at the superbowl, and Steve Francis saying, "I don't know, I could of said anything"

an honest person does not just say anything, they tell it like it is. and that is the difference between JVG and Francis.

damn man, either you had breakfast with the coach or you didn't.

either you told the coach you were at the superbowl are you didn't. you can't say, 'I could of said anything"

theres a pattern developing here.