1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Daryl Morey Interview (5/19)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 19, 2009.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

It's next to impossible to "trade" for a pick. Although draft picks have no value until signed, trades generally involve exchanging contracts and those contracts have to have be within 75% incoming vs outgoing.

2. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Draft picks can be buy in cash. There's no need for trade.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of draft picks are traded for future draft picks, both second rounders and first rounders. That (plus cash) was how we picked up the Landry pick.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not disputing that. But it doesn't mean Morey was one who gave away our intentions to acquire Brandon Roy.

5. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

DD and others - really appreciate the recaps.

DM has proven that he's a great GM assembling players like Scola, Brooks, Lowry, Landry, Wafer and Artest with low draft picks and almost no leverage. His only quasi-flop I can recall would be Barry, but only because Wafer exceeded expectations and pushed him out of the rotation! And he's lined up James White as our 2009 draft pick - or at least one of them.

He's also proven to be a great poker player, never showing his cards until the deal is done. Should be a fascinating off season.

DR

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I was going to give DD rep points for the recap but then I noticed he spelled Daryl's name wrong and thought better of it.

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Did Morey give away his intention to trade Rafer before the deadline? No? I'll always take his words with grain of salt.

8. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Is there a podcast? I don't feel like reading the recap.

9. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Nice recap DD but seriously was there only 1 caller lol. What was funny is that he said don't resign Yao. Get Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh instead. :eek:

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

uhh.. cause he's practically "untradable"..... his 22 mil salary and being injury prone.

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Thanks for the recap.

But strangely enough almost all the players are given a summer assignment of what to work on. I wonder what they would want Artest to work on.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I didn't expect to get anything about trades from Morey. He's not that dumb to reveal his hand.

Maybe it's just me. I smiled when he said that most of Brooks' turnovers are with his LEFT HAND. Man, this guy knows every detail of our players' game. You've got to see how valuable that is for a GM.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I can't tell you exactly why. I just have that feeling.

What can you get for McGrady? Can you get a good player who could help us winning something next season (well, at least WCF)?

Again, it is T-Mac's contract year. You know he will be motivated. First of all he wants to show everybody he can still play and he wants to earn MONEY after 2010.

Doctors keep saying that it wasn't a typical microfracture and it was on the best side of the knee, just netween the bone and kneecap, right? So that means he can come back and be an effective player. At least, there is a BIG chance it will happen.

That's why I think McGrady is staying in Houston.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with Jeff Who. I think Daryll Morey is saying everyone is expendable except for Yao. If the right trade comes along for the Rockets he will pull the trigger. He is happy with his work so far so from what I am hearing he won't just trade Tmac to let Tmac go. If a good trade comes along Tmac is ready by beginning of the season. If not he'll be ready a little later. It looks like morey would not mind keeping artest and wafer but if they want too much he won't be overly hesitant to just let him walk. Good and smart move. We do not need to be overpaying our players especially Artest or Wafer.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He might, but with Tmac, I don't believe him, the organization, or the doctors.....

I need to watch his PR blog to get the real scoop.

ZING ! :D

DD

#55 DaDakota, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  16. hasan08

hasan08 Member

17. DaDakota

Ouch...lol.

DD

18. dansu75

dansu75 New Member

2 people like this.
  19. akuma

akuma Member

i can't believe no one talked about the biggest Rockets' need this season. a quality backup for Yao that can also start in case of the worst.

20. DaDakota