1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Daryl Morey Interview (4/30)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Thanks for the written transcript, HayesFan. :)

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is exactly what he is saying, when the double Yao, move Yao to the top and post Scola.....and reverse the ball and Ron is the weakside rebounder.

DD

3. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

DD,

with Wafer likely out now, how do you think that's going to affect the Rockets chances of winning tonight?

4. DaDakota

Honestly, it is scary, Wafer has been huge with his aggression, he has been up and down but always attacking the rim, and this team needs that.

Morey said "Likely" out...but he is 23....so there is a chance he gives it a go.....

I am hopeful...if he is out, IMO, our chances of winning this game go from 80% down to 50%......a coin flip.

What I hope, is that we get one of the rare Ron is on games.....

DD

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Well I anticipate more ball movement tonight like you alluded to in your earlier post. I also look for Yao to continue to get more touches as he's shown in the past couple of games that he's been able to somewhat overcome the fronting/sandwich defense. That is key. Yao needs to get involved on the scoreboard tonight as this is "game 7"

What do you think?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He may try to give it a go, but how helpful would he be if he's not feeling well? Barry may be the better option anyways.

7. DaDakota

I think Yao needs to move more, and that he is half of the problem, he fights for position instead of recognizing the defense and moving to the high post to open up alleys for attack for the rest of the players.

The entire team needs to move.....and take advantage of Portland overcommitting to Yao.

DD

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Thanks for the recap Hayesfan!

9. GoRoxFromDC

GoRoxFromDC Member

exactly what I'm hoping for, a good to great game, from Ron-ron. This wafer news just hit me and it's tough. He really was our JR Smith, instant offense off the bench. We already know how sometimes points come at a premium for us...Ron, Aaron, the whole damn team, TONIGHT IS NOT THE NIGHT TO HAVE A BAD GAME! LETS GET IT! i hope the home crowd is alive and really behind the guys tonight

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for the recap Hayesfan.

Less Wafer = more BB? If BB will aggressively shoot open spot up 3s; and move the ball to repost Yao then I believe the chances improve for tonite.

W or L is not on VW. It is on Browery. It is on Battier being OK on O. It is on Ron-Ron playing with hoops hIQ. It is Yao and Scola being their best, which should be enough right there.

Go red Rowdies, and let's close this out. I believe. I do believe!

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

YW

Bold for emphasis... The PG's do well and Ron plays smart everyone else will do their thing. :)

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As the night follows the day; as Lakes follow Blaze.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Because there is nothing else he could say. Rox don't have a choice right now, Lowry isn't doing any better than Brooks in this playoff series. So Morey could only encourage AB, make him feel confident.

But next year if Brooks is still the starting PG for Rox, Rox will go nowhere.

14. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

here's the thing that concerns me. I agree about the PG play and Ron playing smart, but this is almost cliche now. Ever since game 2, Brooks hasn't been nearly as effective as the first 2 games (namely game one) and the same could be said for Artest.

After watching game 5, I was very disappointed in their play. I wonder if that game 5 showing is what's becoming the norm for this team as the playoffs (series) wears on, or is that an aberration?

I guess what I'm asking is what exactly can Ron and AB do differently in game 6? Ron played smart (for the most part) and AB attacked (and got blocked or turnover) and of course their shots did not fall. Doesn't seem like a whole lot is in their control. What's your take?

15. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. Both Ron and Brooks have been vilified separately for their part in what's wrong with the offense with their supporters saying it's the other. It's both of them. Some of Artest's bad shot selection is his own doing because he lacks self-awareness on his limiations and some of it is because of inconsistent point guard play. Saying to a point guard to be aggressive is not saying to over-dribble or stop setting up the offense.

Some of AB's problems are because the team is asking him to be our floor general when he excels playing off the ball better. And some of it is because the shooting guard is putting on unnecessary pressure with his bad shot selection. It's OK to be a competitor but that doesn't mean you can shoot any shot at anytime.

They both need to pick their spots better. Hope they do it tonight.

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

In game 5 Brooks was attacking but he was also hesitant. He has to be aggressive with no consciousness if he wants to be at his best. He passed up good shots only to drive into worse ones. Just take whats there and our PG play will be fine.

Hopefully Barry can get some wide open 3 balls and drill em to help off the bench.

17. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Only if that is possible.

With the way and the speed AB drives, do you think other players can cut at the same time?

And AB rarely do drive--draw defenders--pass. Back in the 2000-2001 Kings, Bibby did that a lot. AB? Dribble and drive, and then shoot.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're discounting the fan knowledge on this board and over-applauding Brooks' effort last game. yes, we want him being aggressive, driving, taking open shots, finding open players...but let's not pretend like there weren't open players to be found just because our shooters were open at the three point line instead of cutting. This team is never going to run a pure princeton style offense and frankly shouldn't. Wanting Shane Battier to begin making regular cuts is, frankly, stupid. What he should be doing is standing at the 3 point line and waiting for open shots. He's a 40% three point shooter. Ron Artest can be moving more. And Yao can be moving more in general, but it isn't an issue when AB is driving, really.

The issue with AB last game has been noted. As aggressive as he was, he was still hesitant. He passed up wide open looks to dribble dribble to tougher ones. He got in the lane, but then regularly got in the air before having a good clean look, at which point he was forced to throw up a wild shot. If his three isn't hitting, passing it up is fine, but try a mid range game.

He needs to play aggressive, but smart and under control.

I think Aaron will continue to get better. Not during the playoffs, but during the next few years of his career. We're still talking about a guy who, including this year's playoffs, has a grand total of 40 starts during his career. And he's never going to be a superstar. But he will learn how to develop a mid range game, how to keep his dribble alive as he goes to the basket (ala Nash) better, how to find open men within the confines of the offensive system, and, heck, even how to do things like REBOUND - he made Steve Blake look like Rodman the other night (Blake's 7 rebounds, including 2 offensive equaled his 7 rebounds from the prior three games combined...and the 2 offensive boards was more then the 0 he had the prior three games, too).

19. Electro

Electro Member

this seems like a good idea.

if the rockets were to do this, what is the ideal number of times for running that during the game? What kinds of situations are needed for that, anyone?

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Umh . . . we set at the 3???
    Battier and who?

Rocket River