1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Daryl Morey Interview (2/25)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 25, 2009.

1. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

why would we trade him?? Isn't his contract up after this season?? There would be no reason to trade him.

2. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I also stand corrected, but I still disagree. Yes Francis trade helped get Deke but he hasn't played much. We hear that he is a good locker room guy, but we aren't really sure if his presence has made the team any closer. We can only speculate. So if Deke doesn't play any significant minutes the rest of the season or the playoffs, then I feel that losing the pick will hurt more than us just keeping Francis and not signing Deke.

3. JayRow

JayRow Member

Is it for certain that he'll miss most/all of next season? I thought I heard 6 months could be his framework for rehab time.

4. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Im lost. When we traded Francis that gave us the opportunity to sign Deke and get under the luxury tax. So was it the trade to Memphis that he is taking blame for or was it signing Francis when he was a free agent??

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Hopefully Artest gets some Chinese endorsements this off season to help keep him here.

(For all I know, he signed some as soon as he landed in Houston.)

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I was talking about the 2007 free agent signing of Francis.

The trade was primarily getting rid of dead weight and getting a backup for Yao. Yeah we took a negative hit with that trade but DM just wanted his hands to be washed of the Francis fiasco.

7. yobod

yobod Member

Not Rafer....T-Mac. He always settled for long jumpers in the 4th quarter, and at the end of the game.

8. rajc17

rajc17 Member

this question has nothing to do with the interview, but do we own any rights to draft picks in this years draft, if we do what picks and in what rounds do we have? i know we lost a first round pick when we traded for artest.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Adelman had Francis pegged as the starting PG. And he traded for Bobby Jackson because he DIDN'T want AB as the backup.

With that said, if Francis is Morey's "biggest mistake", we're in pretty good shape.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

No we gave our picks up already. That's why Morey talked about buying one if there is a guy they want in the 24-40 range.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Say wut? :confused:

I don't remember it that way. Where did you get that from?

And that's why AB was the backup when this season opened and Bobby was traded in the offseason?

The real reason is that Adelman felt AB wasn't experienced enough heading into the playoffs and added Bobby as veteran insurance. In a way Adelman was protecting AB from being exposed on his lack of experience in the playoffs.

The bottom line is it was a mistake and Morey learned from it.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

SF3 for win... :rolleyes:

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It was talked about here all off-season. Everyone thought Rafer was being shopped because Francis was starting and Mike James was instant offense off the bench. Then Rafer went and beat both of them out in training camp.

Completely irrelevant to the discussion. We were talking about last year, when Francis was first brought in. He was pegged as the starter. This year, they weren't relying on him, so yes AB was the backup.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean Adelman "had no plans" for Francis as you said. He had him in the rotation, until he actually showed up out of shape and terrible.

I guess, technically, you could call it a mistake. I tend to reserve those things for bigger deals.. like signing Mo Taylor to the huge contract was a mistake. Kelvin Cato, mistake. Signing a guy with barely any MLE to have him sit on the roster for a year and half and not affect the team much in any way or the other? Yeah, mistake.. but like I said, if that's his worse mistake, I'll take it

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Why do they keep calling Luis... Lewis? it's Loo-ees right?

I don't know why that kept bugging me so much lol

15. Nero

Nero Member

Given Yao's injury history, we couldn't NOT get a decent backup for Yao if he went down. We had pretty good success last year with Deke filling in for Yao. The wheels only really fell off when Landry got hurt, that was the straw that finally broke the donkey's back.

Anyway, if we had kept francis and not picked up Deke, then what would we do for a backup for Yao if the inevitable happens again (knock wood)?

There was no choice, it had to be done.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It's Andre. Apparently, Spanish class wasn't around when he was at UH.