1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Daryl Morey Interview (2/25)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 25, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

IMO, the biggest mistake of his GM tenure. We got nothing from him.

2. worzel gummidge

9 Teams have the salary space to sign Artest. Contracts of drafted rookies not taken into consideration:

Grizzlies
    OKC
    Blazers

Hawks (if they re-sign Bibby for c. $10M, can offer c. $7M max)
    Raptors (if they don't re-sign Marion)
    76ers (if they don't re-sign Miller, can offer c. $7M max)
    T-Wolves (if they don't pick up Carney's option, can offer c. $7M max)

Pacer (unlikely to be interested?)
    Pistons (unlikely to be interested?)

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

No I didn't. The guy you quoted was referring to when we traded Francis to Memphis. You quoted him and then talked about Les being responsible for Francis coming in. Francis wasn't traded to the Rockets under Morey's tenure. Morey was, presumably, talking about the Memphis deal. So, you were wrong.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

technically we got Deke for him. ;)

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

And none of those teams will even think of touching Artest. Either because they're too far away from contending, worry about chemistry problems, or have bigger needs.

The market for Artest is more likely along the lines of a Dallas, SA, Lakers(assuming no title)... contenders who think it's worth the gamble for a chance at a title. And these teams are all over the cap.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Morey was talking about the signing of Francis. I was listening.

7. JayRow

JayRow Member

If we do well this year, which things are looking optomistic, and we re-sign Ron...

Do you think we will "Marbury' T-Mac next year? It's quite clear we need his expiring contract, and a trade would be a mistake. However, it would also be clear that we are the better team without T-Mac.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I could see Artest signing with LAL for the MLE.......he's good friends with Kobe Cryant and wants to win bad..

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

T-Mac is done for the rest of this season and most, if not all, of next season. Why would we need to give the Marbury treatment? It's likely he has played his last game for us. And he expires next season, so either he will be traded or will just ride out the final year. No need to give him any kind of treatment. The treatment he needs is to rehab and get better if he wants to play again for some other team.

10. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

On the Steve Francis issue Morey was talking about trading him to Memphis. He regrets because we had to give Memphis their pick back and now we won't have a pick until late 2nd round. Now he will have to buy a late 1st or early 2nd which will cost about 1mil, not including signing the pick.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm going to have to listen the podcast again, cause I don't think Morey was saying the actual trading of Francis was a mistake. And that he mentioned the signing of him was a mistake.

12. worzel gummidge

13. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Not true...people went to the TC to see Stevie. It means that potentially the Rockets sold tickets which means Les makes money and then we can buy picks. A small (teeeeeny) contribution from Steve...

Oh yeah...and we were able to sign Deke b/c of the cap space available from the trade.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Towards the end of the podcast:

Andre: Question about if you ever became a GM, you would be the type that was not afraid to pull the trigger to make a move

DM: You gotta be cautious, can't make deals just to make deals, but on the flipside when there's a move to be made, you don't want to look back on your tenure as GM (it's often going to be shorter then anyone wants it to be), and say I should have done that move, and if you believe that's the right thing you gotta go with it, frankly things aren't always going to work out, Steve Francis that was a mistake on my part, each time there's obviously some calculated risks, but you're going to get some wrong, hopefully our batting range gets us to be a title team

#34 v3.0, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Apologies for calling you out then, since I took the guy you quoted at his word. It sounds like Morey is talking about the entire situation with Francis. Although, I wouldn't really call Francis a "mistake" on Morey's part, except on account of the trade. Francis played no role in this team, meaning he neither hurt nor helped us. Losing the 2nd round pick to get rid of him hurts though.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just as I suspected. No teams with space would even want Artest for anything significant. Only contenders want a guy like Artest and they only have the MLE. And Portland isn't a worry, we probably automatically match them just to keep Artest away from them.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, signing Steve Francis cut into what we could offer to Deke and Landry (who was a rookie at the time). That almost bit us in the butt with the Landry deal.

It was a useless signing, Adelman didn't even want him, had no plans for him, Adelman wanted AB. At least Mike James was parlayed into eventually getting Artest.

Ron will be an unrestricted free agent. He can sign with any other team. We can offer more money then any other team, but matching other team offers doesn't mean squat.

#37 v3.0, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  18. worzel gummidge

It was they're keeping an "eye on a few guys who'll probably be in the 20 to 40 range". "odds are 1 in 5 in finding someone in that range". Looking at college and international draft prospects as well as overseas free agents.

There's still a chance for Nando De Colo :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ti0fxUcfLU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ti0fxUcfLU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. TheBigAristotle

A pretty good interview. Was the first time I was actually able to catch some of an interview with Morey. Candid guy.

20. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

OOOh man the haters find any little thing said and blame it on McGrady :D You gotta love the haters. Just for your information how could it be McGrady if he hardly ever play. If im not mistaken no one on this team can really get by there man without a pick besides Aaron Brooks.