1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6-17-94 Game 5 vs OJ Car Chase

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jturbofuel, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

I was in San Diego, screaming at my TV the entire time. I didn't give a **** what happened to OJ, and I still don't.

whozee likes this.
  3. Student Loan

Student Loan Member

I wasn't alive during that time but damn, that day must of been INSANE! NBA Finals with two superstars in Hakeem and Ewing and then OJ chase.

OJ chase must of been crazy to watch live. Everytime I see video of it, I always think what we're going on people mind when this is was happening. This was pre social media & internet. So everyone glued to TV wondering wth was going on.

One of those days I'd like to witness Live just to see live reaction of people, CRAZY!

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The strange dynamic of it was OJ was an employee of NBC and some of the guys he worked with on the NFL telecasts like Costas were walking on eggshells when they talked about what was going on with the chase.

Rockets fans probably look at this as one of the reasons they always feel the media is against them they swear if any other team was in the finals they wouldn't have switched off the game for the chase.

OJ trial was strange is it was basically carried by every network day by day.

Student Loan likes this.
  5. Student Loan

Student Loan Member

Wow that's interesting point, forgot OJ was with NBC.

Must of been hella anxious and confusing day for Costas and others who worked with him. Yesterday you know him as CFB & NFL legend who's personable guy and next day BAM, he's on chase from cops for a murder. CRAZY

Also Rockets fans who believed if any other team was in Finals they wouldn't switch it off the feed to OJ Chase...You know NY Knicks were in those same finals right? The same Knicks who are probably top 3-5 most popular franchise in the league.

NY Knicks finally getting to NBA finals after getting beat up by the Celtics Pistons Bulls & Pacers. First finals since 1973! So 21 years since last appearance. NBC headquarters is LITERALLY AT NEW YORK CITY!!

So Rockets fans who have this opinion, get rid of it. You're smarter than that and I gave you valid reasons why your opinion is foolish.

OJ chase was bigger than any sporting event, TV show or whatever was broadcasted that day. The fact people still talk about 28 years later today! Shows NBC were correct for switching the feed to the OJ chase.

6. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Waant the Stanley Cup (with the Rangers) also going on at that time? And the NHL games changed the Finals schedule too?

7. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

What would be the equivalent now? Someone like Lebron going on a chase? Maybe when Kobe died?

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If Lebron was retired or Jordan doing something like that.

OJ was a hall of fame player plus the darling of madison avenue when this happened.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Rangers won Stanley Cup 3 days before this.

Rockets fans have another bullet in this argument Sports Illustrated planed a issue celebrating Knicks title but not for Rockets until there was a huge outcry and they flipped the script and put a Rockets issue out.

TheJuice likes this.
  10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Michael Strahan or Shannon Sharpe would be a pretty close equivalent. Ford just brought back the bronco so I guess it's time.

TheJuice and Jturbofuel like this.
  11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Strahan is a good comparison I think he might be even more popular than peak OJ. The only thing missing from Strahan is he doesn't mess around trying to be a D level actor.

12. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Outaide of sports would a good equivalent be like Tom Hanks (yes I know some weirdos think he's a serial molester)

Jturbofuel likes this.