1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5th Pick Possibly Up for Grabs. (sports radio 610)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shaggylambda, Jun 24, 2008.

1. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I was driving to work at 2:45 pm and heard Matt and Rich mention that Memphis was trying to move the 5th overall pick for cash. The catch is that the team receiving the 5th pick needs to pick up Brian Cardinals contract. I think it is somewhere in the range of 6-8 million/yr for the next 2 years. Can somebody please confirm, or is this just a rumor.

This probably belongs under the NBA forum. Also if it has been posted before please lock this thread up. I looked but didn't see it anywhere.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Since we traded our pick and swift for Battier, maybe we can do a reverse trade back to them. Everybody knows Memphis loves Battier.

3. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

i'll pitch in a couple of dollars if morey doesn't have enough cash.

if your hypothesis of cardinal's contract years is correct, this could be very valuable next year, as a trade asset. very valuable indeed.

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Also on a side note. They also said that they were trying to move Mike Miller plus the #5 pick to Miami for (fill in the blank). I forgot who else was involved on the Miami side. Memphis is just trying to trim down the payroll to make it easier to sell the team.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't know if I buy this. Put yourself in the shoes of a Memphis fan thats struggled with mediocre-at-best seasons for years, endured the Gasol "trade", etc. The draft and having a top five pick is actually somewhat exciting and the idea of trading that pick for cash/whatever is completely unfair to genuine Grizzlies fans.

I mean, if they called us up and said, "Here's a top five pick. All you have to do is take on Cardinal's contract. B-Jax for Cardinal/#5 straight up?"

I think the rest of the Western Conference would projectile vomit the same way they did when the Lakers got Gasol for free. The Grizzlies would overtake the Knicks as the biggest joke in sports.

6. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I just remembered the Miami portion of the deal. Memphis would trade Mike Miller and the #5 pick to Miami for the #2 pick.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Memphis is trying to get the #2 overall pick from Miami. Every variation of a Memphis-Miami trade involves that pick. The Grizzlies want Michael Beasley in a bad way and will basically trade half the team to get him.

8. BetterThanEver

Looks the owner got over his remorse for trading Gasol for Kwame. He's back to looking for roster space. Rockets have a contracts that we can hand them. It's not as good as the Warriors $10m trade exception.

9. BetterThanEver

Salaries don't match if you count the rookie salary. B-Jax does make 6.1 mil, but the salaries don't match when you count the #5 pick. Throw in Luther Head and Loren woods.

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I hear ya. Matt and Rich intorduced the topic by first prefacing that David Stern needs to change the rules or intervene in someway because Memphis is screwing the legue up with its fire sale type mentality recently.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unsigned draft picks are not assigned a contract value for trade purposes.

Most talks involve Memphis trying to get to #2. My suspicion is that the radio people heard the rumor wrong. Half the teams in the league probably have an expiring contract they'd trade to get the #5 pick.

12. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

hopefully it happens and we can get Russel Westbrook or OJ Mayo

13. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Swift is with the Nets now! Maybe they'll sub Marc Gasol for him.

14. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

If we magically somehow get the 5th spot, we gotta draft Mayo if he is still on the board. If not, then draft Bayless or Augustin.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bayless would be very nice,5th place is too high for Augustin IMO. He is more like a 11th-12th pick to me.

16. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Morey does have the OK this year to exceed the luxury tax limit for "the right guy" In this case. I think Cardinal is the right guy. LOL.

17. Tornadoofsoul6

Also, the Knicks were "supposedly in serious discussions" about Malik Rose and David Lee for Brian Cardinal, and the #5. I still think that there should be no way the Grizzlies just trade away the 5th for just an expiring, you would have to add a good/potentially great big man too.

18. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

All the other top 10 picks we don't need except maybe Brook Lopez, other than that DJ is the next option.

Don't say Eric Gordon because to that guy is going to be a bust.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

With the type of backlash the Grizzlies would receive for doing this type of deal, they might be better of just standing pat.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I can understand the Grizzlies desire to move up,this implies that they might not be happy taking Love.I still feel they will end up with him. They could trade the 5th pick for a more experienced player but there won't be a reverse "Battier" move IMO.