1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

53 trillion dollar total debt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Simple version

Eliminate Income Tax at a federal level

Have a national sales tax around 18% on all non essential items

this would eliminate the payroll tax thus lowering the price of goods (not to the level they were but close) still the same things that are not taxed would still be not taxed

Leave a state income tax up to the states (like it is today) and start cutting multiple government programs leaving things to the private sectoe or states themselves.

my .02

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That doesn't solve the problem at all. The problem is massive government spending! You are only talking about the money government collect, not what they spend.

Yes, I assume you will be willing to cut defense budget by 40%, get rid of homeland security along with others like FDA, FTC, education, etc.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The last sentance is calling for muliple cut-backs or the elimination of goverment programs it will be up to the counties and states to tax on for THEIR programs.

This country was founded on states rights

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Ya, that will do it, lol.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There will never be any radical changes to the volumous Federal Income Tax system because as it has developed incrementally, there have been thousands of political compromises between thousands of special interest groups that can never be appeased. Also, the entire economy has adjusted and conformed to the existing system and radical changes would have unintended consequences, i.e. if you changed to an all sales tax system, people would spend less money and many business would fail, or if you eliminated the mortgage interest deduction, it would decrease the demand for housing and drastically lower existing home values.

Tax reform on the scale Huckabee talks about is politically unatainable.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Crazy question that just hit me. Would you support your State (especially if it is good financial shape like Texas is) printing its own money? It is not explicitly forbidden in the US Constitution, and many States have proposed it from time to time. Texas could back its own currency with something solid bought with the surplus, and it could be used as a parallel currency to dollars.

It might even be better for the residents than a property tax break.

7. Major

Major Member

Cutting 100% of the discretionary spending in the budget won't come close to solving the problem.

The sales tax is completely irrelevant as well - the method the government uses to raise revenues is a totally separate issue.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think it would set events for another civil war if it came to be. Regional economies are too different. Immigration from the unemployed would force some states to put up creative borders. Just my quick thoughts.

9. bucket

bucket Member

What purpose would that serve? It would be the opposite of what Europe has had so much success with. There would be new fees to pay whenever someone tried to do business between Texas and another state.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Then we can write a new constitution. We'll call it The Articles of Confederation. It's Brilliant!

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, need to cut benefits and/or raise taxes for SS.

They can raise the retirement age to the upper 60s (higher is probably needed).

They can raise the earnings limit on which SS taxes are levied (currently on earnings up to $97,500).

Then after doing that, they can index benefits to inflation and maybe index the retirement age to life expectancy?

When SS was conceived, life exptency was in the lmid 60s, so you were only going to receive benefits a few years. Now life expectancy is 77.8 years.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

For the record. . . why is this better?
    This put the money in the hands of a few
    where as my original statements put it in the hands of the government
    to distribute to the many

Rocket River

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The ron paul scenario is great in a fantasy world where externalities don't exist. Unfortunately we live in a different world.

14. bucket

bucket Member

I don't really like the idea of US military personnel being used as mercenaries to make money for the government. Anyway, I don't think our allies would be too happy if we suddenly decided to demand payment for the troops we station in their countries.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wish Ron Paul would get elected to wake every American up to the debt burden we now have.

16. Classic

Classic Member

AAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEENNNNNNNNNN

Shame he won't though. The average person is so nieve about this sort of stuff.