1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

500 US children dead from gunshots every year -- 7,500 total casualties

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Oct 27, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is it time to arm our children to protect them from other children?
    _____

Terrible tally: 500 children dead from gunshots every year, 7,500 hurt, analysis finds

About 500 American children and teenagers die in hospitals every year after sustaining gunshot wounds — a rate that climbed by nearly 60 percent in a decade, according to the first-ever accounting of such fatalities, released Sunday.

In addition, an estimated 7,500 kids are hospitalized annually after being wounded by gunfire, a figure that spiked by more than 80 percent from 1997 to 2009, according two Boston doctors presenting their findings at a conference of the American Academy of Pediatrics, held in Orlando, Fla.

Eight of every 10 firearm wounds were inflicted by handguns, according to hospital records reviewed by the doctors. They say the national conversation about guns should shift toward the danger posed by smaller weapons, not the recent fights over limiting the availability of military-style, semi-automatic rifles.

“Handguns account for the majority of childhood gunshot wounds and this number appears to be increasing over the last decade,” said Dr. Arin L. Madenci, a surgical resident at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital and one of the study’s two authors. “Furthermore, states with higher percentages of household firearm ownership also tended to have higher proportions of childhood gunshot wounds, especially those occurring in the home.”

Among homes with children, rates of gun possession ranged from 10 percent in New Jersey, for instance, to 62 percent in Montana, the researchers found.

Madenci, and his colleague, Dr. Christopher Weldon, a surgeon at Boston Children’s Hospital, tallied the new statistics by culling a national database of 36 million pediatric hospitalizations from 1997 to 2009, the most recent year for which figures are available.

During that period, hospitalizations of kids and teens aged 20 and younger from gunshot wounds jumped from 4,270 to 7,730. Firearm deaths of children logged by hospitals rose from 317 in 1997 to 503 in 2009, records showed.

full article

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We need to arm the good kids so they can shoot the bad kids.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

4. CometsWin

I guess we could tell the parents that. That might assuage their grief.

5. False

False Member

Even if all of those deaths are at least somewhat caused by easy access to guns, it's a small price to pay for freedom.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I imagine most of the kids that get hurt are with their parents guns.

7. g1184

g1184 Member

false.

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Would it make anybody feel better if they had been killed with a Joe Biden endorsed shotgun?

The fact is that there needs to be a requirement for training in how to have guns in a house that contains children. The vast majority of accidental child shootings could be avoided if the gun in the house were stored in a responsible manner.

9. conquistador#11

are these arabian princes, white kids or all? I thought the number would be higher with inner city violence.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You will *never* in our life time at least . . . eliminate death
    would it be better if they were killed by knives? bats? harpoons?

I am not against gun control but I think we need perspective

Rocket River

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Err I think the problem is the parents.

Unless Walmart is selling guns to children. I'm not sure.

12. CometsWin

The perspective is that guns are weapons intended to kill whereas knives and bats have other primary applications. There are no mass killings by knife or bat nor many accidental deaths by knife or bat.

13. CometsWin

I don't think I ever mentioned Joe Biden, did I? Not sure what he has to do with anything. I agree there should be training, for anyone that owns a gun. I will say it's probably harder to shoot yourself on accident with a shotgun.

14. Raven

Raven Member

So what? Firearms are also used to ward off rapist, stalkers, and thugs, yet the media tends to ignore these examples because they don't fit their agenda.

BTW, I've heard good things about the new S&W Shield, anyone have any first hand experience with them?

15. Raven

Raven Member

A parent's grief does not justify any encroachment on my constitutional rights, just like acts of terror shouldn't justify the government scanning my emails or recording my phone conversations, just like drunk drivers shouldn't justify random police checkpoints.

16. CometsWin

10,000 gun deaths a year should encroach on largely unlimited gun rights.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do drunk drivers justify making drunk driving illegal?

Related next question: why is there more of a background check for operating an automobile than for an assault rifle?

The gun lobby has a good many wonderful Americans focused on their gun rights, while the real robbery is happening in privacy. I feel like a gifted magician is waving a gun in the air with his left hand, while he knifes us with his right hand.

18. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

What is the gun lobby doing to get Americans focused on their gun rights? It's the Anti-gun lobby that had Americans focused on this issue. Politicians couldn't pass a gun control law after the worst massacre in history because they knew their constituencies would turn on them and rightfully so. Americans love their second amendment freedom too much..if you don't then move to England. (a general statement not necessarily directed at you)

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

281 million Americans in the 2000s.
    ~3000 dead from Al Qaeda terrorist attacks in the past 2 decades.
    0.001% of American total population

Let's not make a mounta... oh, never mind.

20. Raven

Raven Member

You don't need a driver's license if you never drive an automobile off your property. A more honest analogy is concealed carry permits, and they have tougher requirements than getting a driver's license.