1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Reasons Why I Think The Rockets Could Be Better Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 4, 2014.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

is there any chance we could combine organic growth with improvement in coaching.......my biggest disappointment of the offseason was Hollins signing with Nets...... a defensive coach, that brings some NBA standard defensive expectation, intelligence, schemes and then combine this with some increased complexity with the offense, such that it doesn't get shut down so easily in the 4th quarter or close games and/or playoffs is what I want

I want organic growth, coaching, playing smarter (i.e. make beverly play smart and watch tape), increased fockass from our superstars and big balls from a team that plays hard for each other on both ends....

2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

:(:(:(

3. wendzall

wendzall Member

it's funny how people swing from one pole to the other and think only in extremes - extreme problems solved by extreme solutions. if defense is the problem and you pick up a defensive player, then the problem is solved. by replacing parsons with ariza you figure that the wing defense got a little better but you lost a whole lot of offense losing parsons. supposedly ariza is a better fit, he shoots threes and plays d. what more can you want since harden is the facilitator? how quickly we forget about the sticky ball issue...
    troy daniels made "one" big shot and everyone is on his tip. and that shot wasn't even off his dribble it was an assisted shot off a scramble play.
    so basically the rockets lost 8 assists a game (out of a team total of 21 a game) with the departures of parsons and lin. unless the rockets replace those assists, sticky ball is going to resurface with a vengeance and the blinders about the right fit for harden and defense being a priority is gonna come off real quick when double teaming harden shuts down the rocket offense. btw all the lovely fast break points the last two years, quite a bit of those started and ended with lin and parsons.
    so let's recognize that the issues are more than just defense for this and any other team.

4. queazie

queazie Member

Very nice! But I still believe we need a better coach :)

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Hmmm, remember championsip years with clyde drexler hakeem and a bunch of three point shooters? Hakeem - howard clyde - harden horry - ariza thorpe - jones kenny - bev/canaan/johnson It will create good spacing for pick and rolls, drives, etc... and Howard can work the paint. Championship!

6. Angelc11

Angelc11 Member

troy daniels is gonna be one of the best palyers for the rockets. could be sixth man of the year and will most likely be one of the best 3 point shooters in the league

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sometimes it's good to revisit old threads to see how accurate I was. My gosh I was wrong about Troy Daniels. When he has gotten oppertunitie he has really been bad. I would love to see him sent back to the D-league to rediscover his stroke.

TJones looked like he was going to take a step forward and be even better than last season before he was injured. I'm really disappointed in his injury but like everyone else I'm excited as hell in the way DMo has stepped up. I'm not sure who starts once TJones is healthy but it's really going to be hard for him to move DMo out of the starting line-up the way DMo is playing on both ends of the floor.

Right now it's hard for me to imagine a deeper front court in the league when D12, DMo, TJones, Doresy and Black are all healthy. Really the only thing we are missing is someone that can consistently stretch the floor from the 4 position. But that group has about everything else with outstanding scoring options, multiple shot blockers, good rebounders and defenders. About the only thing I would be willing to change with that group would be if I could add a Ryan Anderson deep ball threat or maybe a Taj Gibson stud defensive 4 if he became available.

The bench started out looking very thin but those guys have really stepped up their games and saved the Rockets season. When both D12, Pat and TJ went out the Rockets became exceptionally one dimensional. Issiah Canaan stepped up with better than average defense and just started killin it on the offensive end to help relieve some of the scoring pressure off of Harden. Then Canaan got hurt and DMo stepped and not only became a legit 2nd option but also added balance to an offense that had become exceptionally one dimensional.

Jason Terry and Kostas Papanikalau were both great additions to the bench tha DM added late in the summer. Dwight made the comment that his injury was a blessing in disguise for DMo but the Rockets injury situation might be a blessing in disguise for the whole team. The Rockets 2nd unit now looks like:

Issiah Canaan
    Jason Terry
    Kostas Popanikalau
    Terrence Jones (or DMo)
    Joey Dorsey or Tariq Black

That is a legit bench that can win some games for you if needed. I still hope the Rockets can somehow get another playmaking wing that can creat his own shot as well as for others. Goran Dragic would be a godsend for this team IMO, probably pie in the sky though.

One thing I am convinced I was right about in my OP is that this team is better than last years version. We definitely miss the extra ball handling we had in CP25 and even JLin but our defense is light years better and our bench is much better and much deeper than last season.

1 person likes this.
  8. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Noah, Pau, Mirotic, Gibson.

...sorry for only commenting on this after you obviously put a lot of effort in your post, it just stood out to me.

9. crash5179

I don't know who's front court I like better. Maybe the Bulls maybe not since Dwight is the best of all of them.

1. D12
    2. Noah
    3. Pau
    4. Taj
    5. DMo
    6. TJones

Six quality bigs. I think by seasons end DMo could be considered better than all but Noah and D12. He needs to prove himself over a full season before I say that though.
    7 Black, Dorsey & Maritic who knows. Maritoc has the highest ceiling in that group no doubt but does he effect the game as much as Black and Dorsey right now? I don't think so.

The Bulls front court is damn good. Not many in the league is better.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good post, again. Will rep later once I get on my computer.

11. LScolaDominates

From the Rockets perspective, the front court bigs all look like "wins" in terms of expectations. DMo is the biggest win so far, but Dorsey and Black have come to fit their roles quite well. Dwight and TJones have played at or above expectations when healthy.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

On one hand, our point differential, adjusted by strength of schedule, is worse than it was last season: 10th vs. 5th. So the defensive improvement is more than offset by a lack of offense.

On the other hand, the team has been playing with a lot of injuries, especially Dwight Howard being out for half of the games so far. So a relatively healthy version of the Rockets may well be as good or better than last year's version. But we really have to see how healthy the squad gets (no guarantee we won't suffer other bad luck) and how everything actually meshes.

We also may not ever see much of the current Rockets at full strength for a more favorable reason: Morey is aggressive about trading for upgrades so we might get a significantly different Rockets team either soon or by the February deadline.

Either way, we do need somebody to fill in the Parsons/Lin role as guys besides Harden who can create off the dribble. He is just carrying too big a burden for too many minutes.

Maybe Canaan can do it, too bad he got hurt but we'll get to see him soon. Maybe Jones can work some off the dribble or DMo can use his post-up game to draw defensive attention. But I am hoping for a trade.

#172 Carl Herrera, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. eman

eman Contributing Member

Lotta reason for optimism. The D is so much better-- it's amazingly better. DMo's post game on both ends is impressive, opens up a whole 'nuther offensive channel. All we need is health, and maybe we'll be there come playoff time.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Chicago's front court is so overrated. Noah can't even average 10 points while playing more than 30 minutes a game. Pau is still pretty good but his defense is average. Taj is a worse rebounder than Dmo. I would take our front court over Chicago any day. We would destroy Chicago in a 7 game series if healthy.

15. crash5179

In order of importance IMO. 1 - Another wing that can create his own shot as well as for others. 2 - A 4 that can stretch the floor. I'm not sure either of those things happen without a trade.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hope with can get one of these with TE this season, and the other with our MLE in the off-season. I don't want to give up anyone on our team for those guys. Well maybe Clint and Canaan for Dragic.