1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The signing of Scott Padgett stuck a fork into the summer-long/JVG fed/Yao question of what kind of '4' is right for this team right now,

There are two polar positions.

The Charles Oakley power forward/power/tough/thug side.

Then there is the Toine Walker bring it up/cross half court/hoist 3s/open the low post for Yao side.

With the Rox having an open slot for a 4 they could (and did) choose the latter, represented by SP (who is not like Toine but is more in the Chilly Pete/Air Bull sense)

over

the Oak, represented by free agent Tyrone Hill who is like Oak tho not nearly the thug/hatable lout.

What does SP over TyH say for the look JVG wants this position to give? Volumes? or is this just a competent end of the bench guy?

If this were next summer and JVG could trade MoT and his contract (stay with me, it's just a question) what would the man who filled the position look like?

I'm fine with the Padgett signing but surprised that no (known) run was made at Hill.

2. Nova

Nova Member

I think he was just brought in for versatility, and he'll be at the end of the bench anyways so he probly won't see much pt if any. We got Cato to be Yao's enforcer. I would have loved to get Hill, but he's kinda redundant with Cato, plus he's getting on in age.

If MoT was traded right now for a player, I'd say JVG would trade for a enforcer/hustler type player. We've got enough firepower, but only Cato as a big power power forward. It would be nice to have another so Cato can play the backup C without worrying about fouls too much.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But...Padgett was signed, Hill was not. Therefore, which way does the JVG wind blow on how this position will be filled long term?

4. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

But Padgett's a scrub that won't see much time.

5. Nova

Nova Member

Exactly. MoT is our main backup 4, and if the Rox traded him I would guess they would want an enforcer type to either start or backup Cato. Padgett is just at the end of the bench who won't play much, whoever we get for MoT would get significant more minutes. The fact that we didn't get Hill does not mean that if they did trade MoT they wouldn't get a tough 4, it just means MoT is a better option than any other tough 4 on the market right now. Actually since we have Cato playing so wonderfully at the 4, why would we trade MoT? He's perfect in coming off the bench and putting the focus of the offense on him to maybe change things up a little.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to Oakley, Van Gundy called him over the summer and Oakley told him to call him back in December.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But did JVG call him in October?

More to the original point -- what is the long range JVG 4cast for the 4?