1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.8%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.6%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.8%
  5. Zach Edey

2.6%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.3%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.8%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.0%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.1%
  1. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Reed scores 1.6 ppp in transition lmao that’s bonkers.

His playmaking and creation out of fast reads in transition is at least something that he can build upon in the creation part of the game.

I’m getting something out of him everyday lol.

joshuaao, Corrosion, Agent94 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While some complained about size, the more valid complaints were about shooting. The team has had a history of drafting athletes rather than basketball players and just hoping they could teach them how to play basketball one day.

The result has been the Rockets being one of the worst shooting teams in the NBA.

There was a brief fluke stretch where Jalen Green shot like Reed Sheppard before falling back to earth and that was the absolute highlight of the season.

That's why I'm hoping the Rockets change their draft strategy and actually pick someone with NBA skills this time around.

NewAge, ArtV and ROXTXIA like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Y2JT, PWR, zeeshan2 and 2 others like this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Boban doesn't play, Adams is coming off injury, so we really won't know what to expect and Landale is future trade bait, so that leaves Sengun, who we know isn't a true rim protector.....That's why we need Clingan.

To make the pick simple, if the Rockets see Amen as their future PG, you draft Clingan, if not you draft Sheppard. ITS JUST THAT SIMPLE.

If Green doesn't workout at the SG, you have Cam in waiting. So, the Rockets have options at PG and SG but we do not have a RIM PROTECTOR.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Clingan isn’t replacing Alp. Everyone knows that’s what HLM wants. Not happening

Sooty likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you trade Sengun and Landale to go with Clingan? Why?

Would he be marginally better at rim protection than Sengun? Probably

Would he offer ANYTHING on offense? Probably not.

Would he have the exact same problems switching that Sengun does? Almost certainly.

So you'd be trading potentially a little bit of defense for a LOT of offense....how does that make sense?

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. MystikArkitect

Our main complaint was that no one could hit a 3 and Jalen was too dumb/inconsistent. Reed kinda checks those boxes in spades.

The size thing was mainly a Sengun complaint I think and frankly I can't remember anyone complaining about it all that much.

8. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

The exact video I was watching

cmoak1982 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wonder if the drop coverage rim protector archetype is even very meaningful in today's NBA where everything gets switched and even centers are out there shooting three pointers. Denver is currently demonstrating all the ways you can exploit that style of defense and put up huge numbers. Many teams are running without a traditional shotblocker in their starting lineup. I feel like @hlmbasketball 's obsession is seeming more than a bit outdated.

Not even that having a guy who can block shots isn't a good thing--it obviously is. Just feels like it's one more skill that can help you, not an essential component of a good defense these days. And the most impactful shotblockers appear to be the perimeter-oriented ones who fly all over the place like Wemby & Chet, not the big lugs like Clingan.

10. invocux

invocux Member

The more i watch the more i like Risacher. Kid plays like MPJ. 6'10 small forward who has athleticism and can handle the ball Has a very good touch around the rim i like his layup package for a 6'10 guy. Has a fast release. Looks like a willing passer and i think he is a better shot creator than MPJ. Also looks like a smart, versatile defender. I think we definitely should get this kid. Looks a lot better than Jabari not going to lie. Yeah he's the one.

highpost1388 likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly there's nothing to be said about an elite college shooter. A very good 6'2 NBA shooter who can't do anything else is a veteran minimum player. A very good 6'6 playmaker is difficult to get at the MLE.

So the question is what else can Sheppard do other than shoot? The answer is he does plenty like give a lot of defensive effort, he passes the ball fairly well for a hybrid guard, moves/shoots well off the ball. Can we fix his height? How long to get his handle up to a PG level? Will he ever be good at the most important shot in basketball (2 points from near the rim)? Maybe.

However to me that's never going to trump a guy who's equally hard working, high IQ, gets to the line at will, and who's downside (shooting) looks easily fixable. Can't judge his defense at all but the effort is always there.

I'll give you that Sheppard has the higher floor. There's no chance Sheppard won't be an NBA rotation player. That would be good if we needed an injection of young role players rather than veteran ones.

No Worries likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, never that simple, they at least have 6 players that they covet hence Big 6 board.

By now we should know Ime's m.o and that is not giving rookies big minutes unless he is forced to or after 30 games.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If that existed in the next draft (probably doesn’t) and the Nets pick got you that player this would be the “dream” future lineup.

Reed Sheppard
    Devin Booker
    Amen Thompson
    Jabari Smith Jr
    2025 Nets pick (Chet/Wemby archetype)

Tari Eason
    Cam Whitmore

trade Jalen Green & Sengun for Booker*

That lineup is cooking. 3 players that can switch everything. 4 players that can hit the 3 starting. With cam off the bench hitting a good % 3.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You mean, "Hair that Looks Cool while Dunking" isn't an NBA skill?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't dislike Topic, and I think it's possible he fixes his shot, but he's also been injury prone.

As to claims about being hard working...I just don't believe those kinds of claims before the draft. Remember when everyone was saying Jalen would learn to shoot because he's got a "legendary work ethic"?

Yeah those turned out to be draft time lies.

I'll be fine if they go Topic, but it's a super risky pick. Best case, he's a very solid NBA player maybe even a fringe all star, worst case, he's in and out of the NBA like a fart in the wind.

I just don't think the Rockets should get cute with the pick when there's a guy who perfectly fits what they need most in Sheppard.

clutchdabear and NewAge like this.
  16. NewAge

NewAge Member

Sounds like poor-man's Jabari Smith Jr.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is a better ballhandler, driver, cutter than Jabari, and a worse rebounder. Shooting is TBD, Jabari was a better shooter as a prospect but then didn't pan out to be as elite as expected right away (he's gradually getting there now).

Risacher is also more of a big wing, IMO, and Jabari is more of a power forward. They can play together.

What I like about Risacher is he fills that profile of surrounding Alpi/Amen with tall, mobile shooters who play good defense.

Arnel, Corrosion and highpost1388 like this.
  18. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We need a big man that can Bang down low with the best of them. We have been chasing a center ever since Brook Lopez.

Additionally, us having to face Wembayana for the rest of his career kind of makes it important for us to draft a good Center.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

My top 5, for now, are these guys. Land any of the below and I'm pretty happy.

1. Sarr
    2. Risacher
    3. Sheppard
    4. Clingan
    5. Dillingham

I can be talked into Topic, but he scares me.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is a 4th center really the most important thing?

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.