1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.5%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.6%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.3%
  7. Rob Dillingham

5.0%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.3%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the counter point to that is so many players have high bball IQ like Luka Garza but can't even make the league or stay as scrubs.

OTH you have dumb fcks like Russell WB and De Andre Jordan have long careers due entirely to their measurables. WB even won an MVP and will be a first ballot HOF.

Amen has both that's why he is on a star trajectory. You need both tbh except guys like Steph etc

#981 roslolian, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

But he didn't, he shot 44% and it was as a senior. Sheppart shot over 52% as a freshman. That's a MASSIVE gap, it's not like they were close, one is basically a garbage shooter compared to the other. Sheppard also had an awful coach

darksoul35, joshuaao and clutchdabear like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who is Dillinger?
    Having FVV makes us lose vs big teams like OKC and Minny. Having a permanent version of him means we don't change status quo.

I don't mind getting RS I just think he is overrated and we can do better. Worst case for me is we waste the 3rd pick on a limited ceiling role player. Not the worst but obv not the best either.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Attempts are a big deal though. 12.5 ppg when you are shooting 50% how real is that percentage? The combine was his chance to show it wasn't a fluke and he didn't show up. He also scored like crap in MM so that's two instances already that 50% didn't hold up. If RS was 6'5 Id be the first one shouting to get him. At 6'2 though kinda hard to see him being more than FVV 2.0.

And I guess that's already ok for a top 3 pick but I don't see us beating the new top teams with just that.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I've never seen him play but 52% is 52%. Not a lot of guys do that, and he still took 4.4 a game or so, which for a freshman isn't nothing. I learned he was white about 5 minutes ago because i looked like him up since i assumed HLM was making up stats, which he was

joshuaao, clutchdabear and Arnel like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

RS is tiny as well. Amen is the PG on offense in the future. I want a SG that is insurance for Jalen. If Jalen works out Reed or Dillinger would be dynamite instant offense off the bench. If we can turn the pick into insurance for Jalen via trade, I’m for that as well.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If Clingan is BPA at #3 you take him, trade Landale, let him learn for a year behind Stephen Adams, then he takes over backup center in year 2. Keep in mind with Adam’s age and injury, Clingan could play earlier than expected.

I like Bari and I love Sengun, but having a massive 7’3” rim protector with passing skills and upside shooting potential is a great asset. I’m not gonna fall into the trap of projecting what our roster will ultimately look like when we are ready to contend. All types of things can happen. What is clear though is that Clingan has a skill set that Sengun, Bari and Adams don’t. And if fit becomes a problem we’ll have plenty of options to make a trade. Clingan has one of the highest floors in the draft, and if we feel like he’s gonna be a stud we have to take him.

not saying he’ll be BPA on our board (there are some other good prospects worth taking there), but if he is I can’t agree with passing on him for fit. It’s still too early to make that a disqualifying factor. We have trades and free agency to focus on fit.

#987 Aruba77, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah but he also shot 3 pts in March Madness and then in the combine he never performed in the top 5 in any of the shooting drills.

I'm a lot more edgy on his shooting because he is 6'1.75 without shoes with a 6'3 wingspan. He had a 42 inch vert but he had bad results on agility and speed drills. Shooting is his only elite skill and I don't see him doing anything else.

astrosrule likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree with the logic here and I believe that is what Rox will do. They might even trade the pick if it will net good assets..

But personally I think Clingan is overrated and a dude like Yves Missi can basically do everything he does much later in the draft.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Bad results? Dude, stop the lying.
    No where was he bad.
    His lane agility and 3/4 sprint were great.

Stop being intentionally disingenuous

clutchdabear and YaoMac09 like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I guess if you're looking through COLORED glasses you would make those assessmsents. And its strange that no one else on this board came to that conclusion but you.

Many have compared him to JJ reddick, Kirk Hinrich and Doug McDermott, who coincidentally play SF just like Kispert and no one else has brought the racial comparisons but YOU.

However, I have been advocating for the Rockets to pick Clingen, who is guess what?....WHITE!

However, since basketball is a POSITIONLESS sport now, PG, SG, SF is all one in the same to those who watch the games. Maybe you should try it.

And normally, whatever you feel inside will eventually come out. I never mentioned anything about race, YOU did.

13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Reed is the most intriguing blend of high feel + dog. Plays a simple game yet impacts winning on a truly high level.

I think he’s a perfect Eli Witus pick but not sure how strong a hold he has in term of decision making at the draft level. But his work on Eason and Sengun made me think strongly that Reed will eventually be the pick. (Pelton has Reed his #1 analytical darling this year also, not surprisingly).

joshuaao, Nook, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think my biggest issue with Knecht is that he's already 45 years old.

If he had just turned 19 or 20 and was coming off the same season, he'd be a MUCH better prospect. Maybe he'll be fine, but I find it hard to believe that he's going to improve much over where he currently is.

Also, just watching him, I don't think all that much of what he does will translate to the NBA. He should be a decent to plus 3 point shooter....but what else? Probably nothing. He was a defensive liability in college and given that he's 48 years old, I'm not sure that'll change at a higher level, he's not a passer or playmaker. You go in knowing that you aren't going to get steals, blocks, assists, or rebounds out of him.....so what are you going to get?

He just seems like a bench guy waiting to happen.

clutchdabear and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  15. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

High key would be great in a Gordon role and be the barometer of fun.

apollo33, Easy and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

????

Do you have his stats? I didn't even see him on the leaderboard in the unofficial results that's why I said he was bad.

It'd be funny if you said I was lying and you didn't know how he did.

17. HealthyHamstring

I want Sheppard but unfortunately this is a good downside comp

roslolian likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is almost 6'8 in shoes and he is athletic AF. Lots of players don't play defense in college and then do it in the NBA. Knecht got 4.9 Rebs a game I don't what you're talking about.

19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The dude made bad stereotypical takes about a white player and instead of taking the L is doubling down on one of the best prospects in a weak draft.

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Sheppard should be the pick at 3

Then trade back in for Knecht or C Williams.

Need DK's shooting, but CW might end up a star.

Clingan is nice, but we have Sengun.

Grab Adem Bona in the 2nd for above the rim D.

AroundTheWorld likes this.