1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd All-Star Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 3, 2013.

1. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Oh good lord, for Lin's own sake (because I dont want him to get unnecessary stupid backlash) Ima go vote like crazy for Chris. :eek:

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

You know how much lin is going to receive? why would you want that? he can be an all-star when he improves. guy is still young.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't think you guys get it. Players themselves don't even like the games. Believe me. They just like the weekend. Groupies for days.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I think you don't realize how much players care about being recognized.

Jrue Holiday

"People ask me if I would like to make the All-Star team," he said. "I mean, seriously, who wouldn't? "I don't keep an eye on the voting," he said. "I can't, because I'd be mad, because I'm a competitor and there's probably people ahead of me I feel I'm better than, but I know they have more votes than I do. It could be popularity, whatever it is. I can't look at it."

Josh Smith awhile back.

“I guess I don’t know the right people or kiss enough [butt].”
    “You’ve got to factor in there is a lot of politics involved in the All-Star selection,” Smith said Friday.…

“I can’t really point a finger and blame anybody because, at the end of the day, when you leave it up to certain people that still have ties to their agents, [and] players in this game today probably [are] just putting in a bid over the phone, or however they do it,” he said. “You have to factor that in.”

So yeah players care and judging by fans reaction on forums, they care as well.

5. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

A lot of players have improved and won't make it this year. As Rocket fans, I don't understand how some members here could not love the fact that we have not one, but two players on our team that will possibly be an All Star. Especially when we havnt had one in years. Right on time for when the game is in here in Houston.

"Why would you want that? He can be an All Star when he improves. Guy is still young"

Tomorrow isn't promised... His career isn't either... Why should any Rocket fan hate that we'll have an All-Star THIS year? Why would ANY of us NOT want that?

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't doubt that. But remember there are two aspects to the all star games. There is a fan vote & there is a coaches selection. Tyson Chandler for example was upset that last year the coaches didn't select him over Roy Hibbert. He wasn't upset that he didn't get the fan vote. I remember he said that explicitly. It was the same thing in regards to All NBA Teams, players want the recognition that comes from coaches & major media outlets. So for sure some players want the recognition to participate in the games. But let's not pretend that the vast majority of players love the night life as well during that weekend. And obviously they won't say that.

7. dje243

dje243 Member

So i'm a bit confused. Is there a second-team in the all star game? Like if Lin and Harden don't make it in as the first or second guards, can they still be the 3rd and 4th?

8. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Believe me, some basketball fans in China actually voted cp3 so that Lin won't get in, but for a different reason. They just hate Lin.

If Lin is in either NY or LA, I guess he'll be voted in.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I'm sure they enjoy the quirks that comes with being in the All star game but it would be odd for anyone to not care about being recognized for their work.

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Story of Jeremy Lin's life so far. This dude made a name for himself thriving on pressure and eating it for breakfast. Based on his history with similar pressure and challenges, i doubt this would shatter his confidence.

I actually almost expect him to counter it with something right off the bat..

Imagine the headline..

Experts and naysayers laugh at Jeremy Lin for being an all-star starter.. the next day.. He puts on a Linsanity All Star edition show and wins all-star game MVP!

11. torocan

torocan Member

The All Star game has 2 units, starters and reserves. The Starters are by popular vote, the reserves are by coach nomination.

So, if Harden doesn't make it in by vote, he could still be nominated by the coaches. (a genuinely possible scenario)

If it was all by popular vote, Tony Parker would likely have never been in an All Star game.

In other words it's quite possible Lin could edge Harden in popular vote, and Harden could still end up on the All Star team through coach nomination.

Similarly, even if Lin edged CP3 by popular vote, CP3 could still end up in the all star game by coach nomination.

12. pnr

pnr Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Lin is a starter that he manages to dish out 20 assists while scoring 0 points. :p

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Its this simple.. you need to vote for Jeremy Lin because that's his only chance of making it to the all star team this year.

James Harden will make the team either way.

14. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Kobe Bryant made the all-star team before he deserved to and it worked out decently for him.

15. rev1274

rev1274 Member

I wanna see Lin play with all-stars.

Maybe we'll see more alley-oops.

16. nomangame

nomangame Member

Does Jeremy Lin deserve to be in the All-Star game? Yes

Does he deserve it more than Harden? Nah

But to see Rockets players in the All-Star game makes me real happy. It's been a while since we had All-Star players.

17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

One potential problem with Lin getting the all-star nod when he clearly hasn't earned it is that it may undermine his credibility as an all-star in the future even when he has.

18. Arthurprescott2

11 days to close a 46,000 vote gap? I don't think it's going to happen especially with the significant pushback against it in the media - fans will get the hint. Sorry folks, but maybe he'll be in the skills challenge, which I look forward to more.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Oh, word?

Deserves it why? How?

Is he a better player than Steph Curry, for instance, who is on the fast track to getting a major snub this February? Where's the equity there, the fairness, if "deserves" is what we're going by? Is he even better than a worse player than Curry, like Mike Conley? OJ Mayo? Goran Dragic? What about (being especially trill here) is he even better than half of all starting guards in the NBA? Why would that even be a close question with a presumptive all-star?

I get it. You like the guy. Many excited new fans who have discovered ClutchFans like him as well. But let's not act like "deserves" figures into this. It obviously doesn't.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You worry too much... did nobody tell you that NBA careers could be short lived?